Back in 1967, Toei Animation made a feature-length animated film in between a couple of Cyborg 009 movies. This movie was called Shōnen Jakku to Mahōtsukai, which directly translates to The Boy Jack and the Witch. A few years later, this was brought over to America, where it was dubbed by American International Pictures, and became a perennial favorite on KTLA-TV, where it was shown every All Hallows' Eve.Sadly, the English dub has yet to receive an official DVD release, but it can be found if you look hard enough.
Includes examples of:
- Added Alliterative Appeal / Alliterative Name: Barnaby Bear, Dinah Dog, Phineas Fox, and Harvey Harpy.
- Aerith and Bob: Or in this case, Allegra and Jack.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Allegra, literally.
- Determinator: No matter what you throw at them, Jack and his friends will not give up.
- A Dog Named Dog: In the original Japanese version, along with a mouse named Mouse, a fox named Fox, and a bear named Bearnote .
- Face–Heel Turn: Happens to Squeaker.
- Heel–Face Turn: Happens to Allegra, Harvey and eventually all the other Harpies.
- Fate Worse Than Death: The Cavern of Ice.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: A Running Gag throughout the movie is how Harvey constantly lassoes our heroes... but is dragged due to his lack of strength. Harvey eventually learns from his mistakes, and ties his rope to something more sturdy than himself, which indirectly causes the queen's death, which is yet another example in itself.
- Named By The Dub: Squeaker Mouse, Dinah Dog, Barnaby Bear, and Phineas Fox were all originally referred to only by their species in the Japanese original (See A Dog Named Dog above).
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: If Squeaker hadn't thrown the Crystal Ball, the other Loyal Animal Companions wouldn't have figured out how to stop the evil Queen...
- Nice Mice: Squeaker, although he isn't nice for much of the movie...
- Oh Crap!: The Queen has two of these; first, when after leaving a Time Bomb for Jack whilst escaping in her Cool Airship, suddenly starts hearing a ticking noise... then, when she tries to get the aforementioned bomb off her ship, she suddenly realises she's about to hit a brick wall.
- Save the Villain: Jack immediately nurses Allegra back to health when she's injured trying to kidnap him and his friends... again. His friends immediately lampshade this, pointing out just how stupid it is, given how many times she's tried to capture them, and suspect he's falling for her.
- Swiss Army Tears of Remorse: Allegra cries these when she thinks Jack died to rescue her. This cements her Heel–Face Turn, as it was foreshadowed that Harpies were Unable to Cry.
- Take Over the World: This appears to be the Queen's goal.