Manga: Stop!! Hibari-kun!
Ordinary High-School Student Sakamoto Kousaku's mother has recently died. In her will she requested that he live with her old friend, Oozora Ibari. Kousaku is a little more than concerned when he realizes they're a yakuza family but opts to stay when he sees one of their beautiful, young daughters. Only that said daughter, Hibari, is quite different from her sisters...Stop!! Hibari-kun! is a manga that ran in the early 80s, drawn by now famous manga artist Eguchi Hisashi. It was adapted into an anime by Toei Animation not too long after it ended.
This manga provides examples of:
- The Ace: Hibari is this in spades, excelling not only in studies but is also a natural athlete, having the strength to throw megaton punches.
- Art Evolution: Compare this shot◊ from episode 1 and episode 35 of the anime. The manga itself also improved.
- Animated Adaptation: The 4 volume manga was adapted into a 35 episode series, running from 1983 to 1984.
- Cultural Cross-Reference: This series enjoys spoofing popular American media, including Superman (episode 16) and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (episode 32).
- The '80s: The manga was made in the early 80s and it shows in the fashion, especially Hibari's.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Hibari for the most part, Innocent Blue Eyes and all.
- Love at First Sight: Goes both ways with Hibari and Kousaku, though Kousaku tries his hardest to stop the feelings.
- Mukokuseki: Averted with everyone but Hibari, who has blond hair and blue eyes. Even the characters with outlandish hair colors are typically in darker colors.
- No Ending: The series ends with Hibari announcing that their wacky daily lives will continue on and on.
- Otokonoko Genre: Could be considered a precursor, though Hibari, like Jun from Happiness, is implied to identify as female.
- Running Gag: Characters hallucinating white crocodiles whenever they are in a state of mental shock.
- Transsexual: Hibari is heavily implied to be this, rather than a Wholesome Crossdresser.
- The Unfavorite: Hibari, to their father.