"I wish I could say that Alakazam was a good king or a wise king. But he wasn't. He was rude and arrogant. As a matter of fact, he was a bit of a crab about the whole thing. I suppose you could say that his crown went to his head."Alakazam the Great is a 1960 Anime film by Toei Animation based on Journey to the West. It is adapted from the manga Boku no Son Goku by Osamu Tezuka. It was released by American International Pictures in the United States in 1961, and was one of the first Anime films to be professionally dubbed in English.Its story concerns Alakazam, a simple monkey who becomes King of the Monkeys. He instantly becomes Drunk with Power and mistreats everybody around him, including his girlfriend Dee Dee. He forces Merlin to teach him magic, and goes off to Majutsu Land to cause trouble. He's finally beaten and imprisoned by King Amo. He's sentenced to become the bodyguard of Amo's son, Prince Amat, who's about to go on a great pilgrimage. And Amat will need the help, for there are many demons waiting to cause him trouble.
—Narrator, about Alakazam.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Alakazam/Son Goku had yellow fur in the original manga, but brown fur in the movie.
- Canon Foreigner: Dee Dee the Monkey, who did not exist in the original novel.
- Death by Adaptation: The McSnarl brothers are sucked into their own man-eating gourd; unlike the novel, they are never released and pull a Heel–Face Turn. Queen Gruesome is frozen by her own magic fan and shattered, while her husband falls in a volcano. They both survive fine and repent.
- Drunk with Power: Alakazam at the beginning. It doesn't take long before King Amo knocks some sense into him.
- Dub Name Change: Everybody in the English dub.
- Gender Bender: Alakaam turns himself ito a lovely Chinese maiden when first meeting Sir Quigley to stop him from marrying the real girl he's interested in.
- Gluttonous Pig: Sir Quigley Broken Bottom:Alakazam: You must guard the Prince day and night. Understand?
Quigley: Except at mealtimes.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The McSnarl Brothers are sucked into their own gourd by Alakazam.
- "I Am" Song: "Ore wa Son Goku"/"I am Son Goku" in the Japanese version. It's replaced by "Alakazam the Great" in the dub.
- King Koopa Copy: King Gruesome is the Ur-Example, being the direct inspiration for Bowser's design.
- A Load of Bull: King Gruesome. He can even transform into a raging bull.
- Shapeshifter: Alakazam, Quigley, Hercules, Filo and King Gruesome.
- Shape Shifter Showdown: Alakazam and Hercules go through many forms, including giant birds and dinosaurs, during their fight.
- Totem Pole Trench: Alakazam and Quigley pull a Shapeshifter version of this trope to disguise themselves as King Gruesome.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: King Gruesome and Queen Gruesome.