The characters of Soul Hackers
open/close all folders
A skilled computer hacker and martial artist. He cannot use magic but has a talent for Devil Summoning.
The Protagonist's best friend. A shy schoolgirl who is skilled at hacking but lacks self-confidence. She accompanies him through the game.
- The Chick
- Demonic Possession: Done to her by Nemissa.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Finds Madame Ginko pretty to the point that Nemissa has to tell her to stop staring.
- Missing Mom: Nothing is mentioned about her mother except she died after she was born. Her father was living in America before the events of Soul Hackers took place. Thus, her grandmother was her "mom".
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: It's in the picture.
- Willing Channeler: Later accepts Nemissa sharing her body, and the two talk back and forth and she controls the body occasionally when they aren't fighting.
A female demon who decides to take up residence in Hitomi's body. She is brash, mischievous and has a penchant for black leather.
- Our Angels Are Different: Her true form resembles Nemechi's angel forms.
- Awesome, yet Impractical: At lvl. 75, she learns one of three available attacks Naomi possesses (though she has an extra fourth one that would possibly make Nemissa very broken) depending on how Hitomi was described. Unfortunately, these attacks take a long time to learn for the main game but are faster to get during the post-game.
- Black Magician Girl: One of the best magic users in the game.
- Body Surf: She must possess a body to survive.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite her demon nature, she's not bad or evil.
- Femme Fatale
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: Nemissa has three different skill paths depending on how you describe Hitomi to Spooky.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Gets a black leather outfit because she finds Hitomi's tastes in clothes terrible.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Nemissa, during the ending where she brings death to Manitou.
- Humans Are Flawed: Her belief as her final words is that no one was right or wrong, it's just that neither her or Manitou can no longer coexist with mankind.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Nemissa doesn't remember anything beyond being a prisoner in a program before possessing Hitomi.
- Meaningful Name: Nemissa is the feminine variant of Nemesis. Specifically, Manitou's.
- Our Souls Are Different: A fragment born from Manitou that is intended to bring death to Manitou should it ever be freed.
- Third-Person Person: Nemissa sometimes talks about herself this way. She actually seems to prefer doing so, but has the smarts to avoid it when bystanders are conveniently mistaking her for Hitomi.
A artificial demon made using a Dolly Kadmon. It has complete loyalty to the Protagonist and will obey his orders.
A devil summoner and former employee of the Phantom Society who resigned in disgust to their questionable practices. His Vision Quest provides a password the protagonist need to unlock some hidden features on his GUMP.
The second Vision Quest character. An accomplished Summoner and member of the Phantom Society, sent on a mission concerning the Manitou Net. However, he has started to doubt the goals of the group and is reconsidering his membership.
An experienced devil hunter of the Phantom Society. She is unique in that she only summons demons to use as her skills. Born and raised in Hong Kong.
- A Taste of Power: She's an absolute One-Man Army who doesn't need demons in her party to defeat abominations. Sneezing on demons is enough to kill them all.
- Badass: Was able to make contracts with Kanzeon, Chi You, Angra Mainyu, Hecate, and Fudo-Myo-O. Wanted to make contracts with Apsu and Tiamat as well.
- Big Eater: Her first scene is of her and Nishi eating at a Chinese restaurant, where she orders 'another' mango pudding, a tapioca, and some tarts.
- Demon Slaying: Job of a devil hunter.
- Post Humous Character
- One Last Job: Wanted to make slaying Apsu or Tiamat her last job before she kills Rei Reiho and open her own restaurant.
- Ret Irony: Talks about how after she kills Rei for killing her master Naomi will retire and start a Chinese restaurant. Even if Minap didn't outright say that these were her last memories it'd be obvious that this really would be her last job.
- Revenge: Against Rei Reiho for the death of her master.
- Sacrificial Lamb
- Undignified Death: Dies due to asphyxiation when Apsu and Tiamat retaliate against her destroying their physical forms.
Masahiro "Spooky" Sakurai
Real name Masahiro Sakurai, he founded and leads the Spookies from a mobile semi-trailer truck. He's always seen with a cigarette tucked between his lips. At the start of the game, he assists the Protagonist and Hitomi to hack into the mainframe servers of Algon Soft.
Juunosuke "Lunch" Kitagawa
A member of the Spookies, he specializes in hacking and hardware modification.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Constantly does this because he blames his dad for his mom's death.
- Meaningful Name: It's not the fact that he's seen eating lunch in his artwork, but his codename is a deconstruction of the word "launcher."
- Nerd / Otaku: Of the tech variety.
Shingo "Six" Sako
A member of the Spookies, Six is a known gun aficionado in the group. He's also willing to lend out his wares to his comrades should they need help.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He lost his big sister when he was little by accidentally pushing her down the stairs as a prank. Then a demon manifest in her image as a very pissed off ghost.
- Gun Nut: Acts like one since he's a firearms fan.
- Hypocrite: For all his belitting and insulting of Yu-ichi for acting like a kid, he acts just as childish. It's possible that he doesn't want to see Yu-Ichi make such rash decisions after the traumatic experience Six went through when he was a child.
- Lovable Coward: His crippling fear of demons quickly becomes a Running Gag. Though it is understandable, considering that, despite his Wall of Weapons, he's vastly underequipped to fight them compared to the Protagonist and Nemissa.
- Meaningful Name: His codename comes from "Six shooter", which is slang for a revolver.
- Revolvers Are Just Better: Always seen with a revolver holstered in a small of the back (SOB) holster rig.
- Skilled, but Na´ve: Claims that he's an expert in wielding small arms. Nemissa calls him out since he's not honest about it, which he admits since his combat training didn't prepare him to fight real monsters.
- Wall of Weapons: Implied to have a hidden arsenal of small arms (Which are illegally acquired), considering Japan's strict anti-firearm laws.
Another member of the Spookies. He tries very hard to assist the group in whatever way he can, not minding the fact he can be very rash.
- Awesome McCoolname: Yuichi considers his real name "cooler" than any codename the rest of the Spookies have.
- Brainwashed: By the Phantom Society.
- Dull Surprise: After an ill-fated attempt to confront a villain instead of letting the protagonist handle it he slips into this. The other Spookies figure that it's shock but it's actually a sign that he's been brainwashed. Once the brainwashing is broken, he's actually very emotional about how much trouble he's caused.
- Heroic BSOD: If Spooky dies, Yu-Ichi beats himself up over the whole thing.
- The Load / The Millstone: He's definitely one of the two. He's certainly a Millstone after being brainwashed, but he was brainwashed in the first place because of his own stupidity.
- The Mole: After being brainwashed.
- Younger Than They Look: He's a year older than Six, but that doesn't stop Six from treating him like a child anyway.
Vice minister of Japan, he is the overseer of the project to modernize Amami City. He is also a high ranking member of the Phantom Society, with his true form being Azazel.
- Improbable Weapon User: Uses a Parasol-style COMP.
- Knight of Cerebus: She only appears once before you kill her, but she destroys the parking garage that the Spookies' HQ is at right before she dies.
- Rich Bitch: It's suggested by official Atlus bio data that she comes from a wealthy and prominent family.
- Summon Magic: Summons Vetala, two Kasos, a Purple Mirror, and a Mizuchi for her fight.
The current leader of the Kuzunoha clan, who are at odds against the Phantom Society. She returns from the original Devil Summoner game to assist the Spookies defeat them.
- Badass: She's the overseer of the Kuzunoha clan.
- Mr. Exposition: Explains what the Phantom Society is and what their goals are. Also touches upon the story of the previous game, comparing its characters to Soul Hacker's.
- Transvestite: Rumored to have been in one in Devil Summoner and had Tomokazu Sugita as her voice actor in the Japanese version. Averted in the English version where Tara Platt portrays Ginko as a woman.
A high-ranking member of the Kuzunoha Clan. After saving Hirasaki City from destruction, Rei heads to Amami City to investigate the activities of Phantom Society.
- Badass: Fights solo like Naomi, only using her demons to only cast spells.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Acts rude and seems like she doesn't care, but looks into things that she feels could help and gets the aid of Madame Ginko when she's worried.
- Previous Player-Character Cameo: She was the heroine of the previous game in the series, Devil Summoner, playing a similar role to Nemissa. Briefly summarised by Madame Ginko as her having known 'that boy' (the protagonist of that game) very well.
A Summoner belonging to the Kuzunoha clan.
- Body Surf: The current Kyouji Kuzunoha, who switched bodies after Devil Summoners Protagonist took up residence in his own.
- Purple Is Powerful: Wears a all purple outfit.
The younger sister of the main character. She's an avid tech fan who would rather spend time playing Paradigm X over studying.
- Brainwashed: She gets her soul stolen by Snappy in the VR Art Museum.
A guide to the Protagonist again after he helps save Hirasaki City in the first Devil Summoner game. He takes the form of different animals and appears at different points in the story to lead him through Vision Quests.
A Swiss scientist who became obsessed with the possible creation of life, he fled to Japan in secret after he was nearly killed by an angry mob. He offers his services in fusing demons to create better ones.
Doctor Victor's personal assistant. She is present on the Goumaden to greet her master's guests.
A chef for the Hotel Goumaden galley with a French accent. He's been learning the art of fusing demons into blades in his off-time from Victor.
A Russian Mad Scientist who has taken up residence in Amami City. He appeared in the original Devil Summoner
- Berserk Button: Devil Summoners destroying his research.
- Gag Nose: It isn't Igor's, but it's still pretty big.
- Five-Man Band: Took a liking to Japan's Hero/Sentai groups, so he created each of the Frost Five as one.
- Mad Scientist: He's a thaumoscientist, and creates things from artificial demons, intelligent primates that can become Devil Summoners, to shaved ice flavored Jack Frosts.
- Nerd Glasses
- '20s Bob Haircut: On a guy!
Alpha and Beta
Two expert hacker friends of Spooky. They provide some useful software for the main character to use for his COMP.
- Camp Gay: Beta
- A Friend in Need: Alpha is willing to help out the Protagonist simply because his friend Spooky asks him too. Though not without making a bit of a profit when it comes to making software.
- Think Twins: Geniuses when it comes to hacking and making software.
- Big Bad
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Believed to be one by the Spookies after learning the true purpose of Paradigm-X, their tune changes once they meet him. Then he reveals he is as corrupt as previously believed after the Satanael fight.
- Evil Genius: A genius programmer and hacker.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: He is based on Bill Gates, though the celebrity resemblance isn't as blatant as STEVEN's.
- :One-Winged Angel: Becomes [[spoilerGreat Kadokura before the final battle.]]
- The Starscream: Allied with Nishi and the Phantom Society, but fully intended to betray them at some point, which he finally does when the Spookies meet him.
- Villainous Breakdown: Completely loses it when the Antenna is destroyed during the Satanael battle.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: He has lost any shred of sanity he had by the time he's confronted.
- Energy Being: It's true form is a blue sea of energy surrounding a black rock like object. Though it spawns a different form for the final battle.
- Final Boss: Of Soul Hackers
- Humanoid Abomination: It's boss form is a gold like humanoid.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: Manitou desires death because it cannot coexist with humans, and Nemissa was made to bring the song of death to it.
- Non-Elemental: Magic based Manitou uses Armageddon, Demon Birth Cry, Necro Dogma, and Megidoloan. Physical based Manitou uses Abyss of Naraku.
- Pure Is Not Good: Manitou is a "pure" spirit and has no sense of self. By itself it's harmless, but when surrounded by the madness of humanity it becomes a raging force. Despite this, Manitou wished to coexist with mankind until it reached a point where the souls it absorbed made this impossible.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Manitou while not evil is influenced by the humans and their souls. So it was sealed away to prevent it from being influenced by humans.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Unintentional on Manitou's part, as it only craves souls because the beings it hears want more souls for it.
EX Dungeon Bosses
All the below listed bosses are Cameos of characters from the entire Devil Summoner
sub-series from the Shin Megami Tensei franchise.
A boss from the original Devil Summoner
The Big Bad
from the original Devil Summoner
The Protagonist of the original Devil Summoner
, who inhabits the body that belonged to the true Kyouji Kuzunoha. The original final Bonus Boss
for the EX Dungeon in the Sega Saturn and PlayStation
versions of the game.
- Body Surf: Came to this one after his original body was killed by Sid Davis.
- Summon Magic: Summons Shiva, Vishnu, Metatron, Kali, and Anat for the boss fight.
Raidou Kuzunoha and Raido Kuzunoha the 14th
The protagonist of the Raidou Kuzunoha
duology and his alternate universe counterpart. Added into the 3DS version of the game.
Gouto and Goto
Soulless God OumagatsuThe final boss from the first Raidou Kuzunoha game. Serves as the new final Bonus Boss for the EX Dungeon.