These are characters who appear in PONY.MOV
, a web cartoon created by Max Gilardi
based on the TV show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
. This page also covers characters from the Ask Jappleack
open/close all folders
The mane cast as a whole has examples of:
- Cross-Dressing Voices: With the exception of Twilight, all of the Mane Cast are played by guys (most by creator Max Gilardi).
- Dwindling Party: The mane cast gets gradually smaller as the shorts progress. By "PARTY.MOV", Twilight is the only Element bearer still able to do anything. This is undone due to Applejack causing a Cosmic Retcon.
- Informed Trait: Assuming the bearers of the elements are the same as in canon, most of the ponies count—Rarity is far from generous, Fluttershy is...not particularly kind, Pinkie Pie is revealed to be a very depressed pony, Twilight Sparkle epically fails at magic any time she tries anything, and there's hardly any display of loyalty from Rainbow Dash (though the one time she did show it, she did it big time).
- Jerkass: All of them, but especially Rarity. Ironically, Fluttershy still seems to be the nicest of the group, even when she turns out to be an Axe Crazy psychopath!
- Heel-Face Turn: The ending of SWAG.MOV seems to point to at least most of them becoming better ponies, although Paco's Twitter states that Rarity is still abusing him.
- Kick the Dog: In "SWAG.MOV", when Applejack returns to Ponyville after her adventures in Equestria Prime and tries to tell her friends about how she saved the multiverse, they tell her nobody cares. Considering how Twilus told her what she's done was the most important thing anyone in existence has ever done, and that her own universe would have been forever destroyed by Rainbow Dash's Sonic Rainboom if not for the Cosmic Retcon her absence caused, this is a hard blow.
- Lady Swearsalot: All of them except for Fluttershy, who, true to her nature in canon, never swears once. Not even after she snaps!
- Seven Deadly Sins: Each cast member represents one:
- Pride: Twilight Sparkle (boasts being a genius in "MAGIC.MOV")
- Envy: Rainbow Dash (???)
- Wrath: Fluttershy (vengefully murders Rainbow Dash in "SHED.MOV")
- Sloth: Spike (loafs around and does drugs)
- Greed: Rarity (has dollar signs for a cutie mark)
- Gluttony: Applejack (has an insatiable appetite for apples)
- Lust: Pinkie Pie (shown to be sexually obsessed in "PARTY.MOV")
- Vitriolic Best Buds: At the end of "SWAG.MOV", all six ponies give each other a warm Group Hug when they realize that, for the first time since "APPLE.MOV", they're all together.
Twilight "Sparkle" Mengele
"This is my favorite kind of magic!"
— "MAGIC.MOV", right before trying to resurrect Rainbow Dash
The hero of PONY.MOV
(or at least the closest we get to one). She's on a quest to find the Elements of Harmony to stop a rampaging god of chaos
from destroying her home, being the only one of her friends who remotely cares. Also a mad scientist
and practicioner of the dark arts
. Voiced by Kira Buckland
- Anti-Hero: She may be an arrogant Know-Nothing Know-It-All and go to extreme lengths to accomplish her goals (such as using black magic and ethically questionable science), but she really does try to save Ponyville, and is truly devastated when she fails.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: In "DRESS.MOV" when Twilight randomly starts...clopping.
- Despair Event Horizon: After Discord destroys Ponyville, Twilight laments her inability to save everyone and that her so-called friends did nothing to help.
- Furry Reminder: Twilight poops just like a real horse.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Her resurrection spell for Rainbow Dash instead summons the demon Wolflor.
- Gone Horribly Right: She succeeds in making a robot duplicate of Rainbow Dash, but it goes on a murderous rampage.
- Heroic BSOD: See Despair Event Horizon.
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All
- Lady of Black Magic
- Mad Scientist
- Named After Somebody Famous: Safe to assume that she's named after that German fellow.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Her attempts to resurrect/replace Rainbow Dash in the name of wielding the Elements of Harmony against Discord only add to Ponyville's destruction.
- Sanity Slippage: She becomes gradually unhinged throughout "MAGIC.MOV".
- Slasher Smile
- Those Wacky Nazis: Her real last name is "Mengele", and she calls Rainbow Dash's defeat of Discord "wunderbar".
- Writer's Block: Twilight struggles to write a letter to Princess Celestia because she hasn't learned anything, so she screws it up and throws it in the trash, which is full of other balls of screwed up paper. Not that Princess Celestia is even alive at that point...
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Twilight's theories about resurrecting dead bodies are all from movies, and she doesn't understand why they don't work. It's because the body she tries resurrecting (i.e., Rainbow Dash) isn't dead.
Spike T. Dragonowitz
"Am I the only sane one in this crazy world of technicolor pony weirdos?!"
Twilight's baby dragon assistant, who'd much rather crack jokes—and do crack—than be of any actual assistance. Ironically enough, his pothead tendencies may make him the most rational living being in Equestria, period. Voiced by Max Gilardi
Applejack / Jappleack
"Boy, lemme tell ya, I sure do love apples."
A pony who sure does love apples. And that's all there is to her. Unless you take Ask Jappleack
into account, where she embarks on an (ahem
journey. Voiced by Max Gilardi
- Ambiguous Gender: Everyone on the show refers to her as a female, but her response to a Tumblr question asking if she's a boy or a girl is "I don't know".
- Badass Boast: Has a pretty epic one to counter Appelox's (see below):
Jappleack: He called himself "Glutton of the Void". I don't know where he got the balls to give himself that title, but gluttony is my territory.
- Balloon Belly: After eating tons of apples in "APPLE.MOV".
- Big Eater: Biting off Appelox's head makes her the biggest eater in existence.
- But Now I Must Go: Jappleack has to return to her home universe to prevent reality from tearing itself apart after she kills Appelox, leaving behind her new friends in the process.
- Character Development: Happens in Ask Jappleack. See Took a Level in Kindness.
- Chekhov's Skill: Pretty much everything she does in "APPLE.MOV" ends up being significant in Ask Jappleack. Her tripping out from eating so many apples? She's not tripping out, her consciousness is transported into the realm of a world-consuming Eldritch Abomination. Eating so many apples in the first place? Well what do you know, said abomination is made of apples...
- Cluster F-Bomb
- Cool Big Sis: After she Took a Level in Kindness, the epilogue implies she's become this for Apple Bloom, even if she still calls her an ugly slut.
- Defiant to the End: Jappleack's defining character trait. Twilight Prime comments that her urge to rebel seems to be literally integrated into her DNA.
- Despair Event Horizon: After Apple Bloom dies.
- Determinator: Summed up nicely by Twilight Prime at the end of Ask Jappleack:
Twilight Prime: She proved that whether you adhere to the laws of faith or of facts, it always boils down to the truth that no hurdle is too high for the sheer force of an indomitable spirit. She proved once and for all...that nopony can tell her what to do.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Jappleack eats Appelox, a Titan who feasts on pieces of the multiverse.
- Dissonant Serenity: Jappleack becomes calm and meditative after swearing to kill Appelox.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Even if the others don't appreciate it, she still becomes a better pony and saves the multiverse from Appelox. In the end, she gets her sister back (and likely Winona too) and she and her friends are on good terms again. She probably worked the hardest for all this.
- Establishing Character Moment: When Twilight sees her eating a whole bushel of apples:
Twilight: Applejack, what're you doing? You can't eat all those fucking apples!
Applejack: Fuck you, I can't eat all these apples! (eats the whole bushel in under a minute)
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Subverted; witnessing Appelox's true form is supposed to have this effect, but if anything, it makes her even more determined to kill him.
- Heroic BSOD: Jappleack goes through this after Apple Bloom dies.
- Hero of Another Story: She misses most of the main storyline due to having her own adventure in Equestria Prime, and only returns after Discord's been defeated. However, because her actions instigate a Cosmic Retcon that allows Discord to be defeated, she's not entirely inconsequential.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite her abuse, she's shown to genuinely love Apple Bloom and is heartbroken when she dies. Post-Character Development, she still insults her sister after she comes back to life, but now it's more playful than cruel.
- Letting Her Hair Down: She loses her ponytail and hat during her Heroic BSOD.
- No Respect Gal: Her friends couldn't care less that she saved the multiverse. Thankfully, Apple Bloom couldn't care enough, to the point of wanting to hear the story four times.
- Other Me Annoys Me: With Applejack Prime at first.
- Pet the Dog: After being told to show her sister some affection for once, she...has her own way of doing it.
Jappleack: Don't you leave me. Don't you ever dare fucking leave me.
Apple Bloom: Um... I...I love you too, sis?
- Rounded Character: Her experiences in Ask Jappleack transform her into one of the only characters in her world with any significant Character Depth.
- Shower of Angst: Jappleack takes one after losing her appetite for apples and eating a pear instead, culminating her Heroic BSOD.
- Stranger in a Familiar Land: At the end of her journey, Applejack becomes the only pony in her world to understand love and friendship, and dedicates the rest of her life to teaching what she's learned to her friends. She's already had some success with Apple Bloom.
- Took a Level in Badass: Goes from being an abusive elder sister to volunteering to eat an Eldritch Abomination.
- Took a Level in Kindness: She starts out as a hateful Jerkass who abuses her little sister, and answers many of the questions on her Tumblr like any troll would. Once her sister dies and she discovers the values of love and tolerance from Applejack Prime, she becomes much more mature, loving, and considerate.
I0itsmonica: What happened to you, Jappleack? Jappleack: Meh, I dunno. I guess I just sort of...grew up.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Apples, of course. It's deconstructed in Ask Jappleack when a user questions the point of growing apples, causing her to realize that she doesn't even know, and thus doesn't know her purpose in life.
- Toyed with again when she is transported to Equestria Prime and hates the apples there, since the composition of apples differs between her own universe and Equestria Prime.
- Troll: Pre-Character Development.
- Waking Up Elsewhere: After consuming enough apples, Jappleack ends up in the normal version of Equestria.
- Why Did You Make Me Hit You?: Jappleack sometimes does this to Apple Bloom.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Not long after she realizes how much Apple Bloom means to her, Apple Bloom dies.
- Just as she discovers happiness in Equestria Prime, Appelox comes along and tries to destroy it. When she kills Appelox, she finds that her continued presence in Equestria Prime will tear all of reality asunder, forcing her to leave her new friends.
"Yeah, why don'tcha suck my tit, you dumb bitch? Hehehehe! Swag."
An ass of a pony who gets a kick out of kicking others around. And swag. Voiced by Max Gilardi
- Animal Gender Bender: Rainbow Dash has masculine nipples.
- Anti-Hero: She may be a bully and all around abusive jerk, but she is the only one who stands up to save Ponyville from Discord, stating how disgusted she is at all the damage he's caused.
- Asshole Victim: In "SHED.MOV". Later Subverted in that she's Not Quite Dead.
- Back from the Dead: Subverted and averted; Twilight attempts to do resurrect her in "MAGIC.MOV", but to no effect. She only comes back in "SWAG.MOV", two episodes later, to which she reveals she was in a coma.
- Badass: She did take down Discord after all.
- Broken Angel: Loses her wings during her fight with Discord.
- Butch Lesbian: Her distinctly non-female voice and "conjoined Venus symbols" cutie mark (from "SHED.MOV" onwards) suggest this.
- Catch Phrase: "Swag!"
- Cool Sword: Gets to wield the Sword of the Holy Titans, a gigantic magical sword that was one of the only things Twilight Prime even considered could work on Appelox, in the Grand Finale and uses it to behead Discord.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: After history resets itself, she manages to defeat Discord. By cutting his head off!
- Disney Death
- Heroic Build: As Dashzilla
- Heroic Second Wind: After Discord rips off her wings, it seems she's beaten...then Scootaloo cheers for her from on top of a nearby building. She kicks Discord off and keeps fighting.
- Jerkass: At first. Then she is shown to be a...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: This is especially true when she ends up being the one to protect Ponyville and stop Discord. The ending implies she may have learned from her mistakes since she seems much nicer to her friends at that point.
- Karmic Death: Narrowly subverted. She's only brutally maimed by Fluttershy, a victim of her physical and mental abuse, so it still counts as Laser-Guided Karma.
- No One Should Survive That: She survives getting vertically chainsawed in half, and is let off by saying she was only in a coma.
- Not Quite Dead
- Something Else Also Rises: In "SHED.MOV", Rainbow Dash looks at porn and gets a wingboner.
- Took a Level in Kindness: At the end of "SWAG.MOV", she risks her life (and loses her wings) to save Ponyville from Discord and is actually the one who initiates a Group Hug when she realizes the group is finally together again. Considering it seems Fluttershy never snapped in that timeline (judging by the lack of mutilated animals in her shed), she may have eased up on her as well.
Pinkamena Diane "Pinkie" Pie
"My daddy makes me put glass in my vagina."
A pink party pony who gets a bit too off on parties. Best friends with Rainbow Dash. Voiced by Arin Hanson
in her first appearance, and by Max Gilardi
in all other appearances.
Flutters H. "Fluttershy" Shydale
"Hey hey hey! Stay outta my shed!"
A shy and, for lack of a better word, troubled pony
. Stay outta her shed
. Voiced by Max Gilardi
"Oh, I truly am the most beautiful creature in all of Equestria."
A fashion pony who's generous in just about every wrong sense of the word. Runs a sweat shop driven by illegal Mexican immigrants. Voiced by Arin Hanson
- Animal Gender Bender: Rarity, despite being a female equine, has man tits.
- Asshole Victim: In "DRESS.MOV", though she doesn't actually die.
- Bad Boss: To her "family" of illegal Mexican immigrants.
- Bad Samaritan
- Characterization Marches On: In her first appearance, she was neither fat nor racist. After that, all of that is thrown out the window.
- Death by Racism: Downplayed; she doesn't die, but Rarity gets quite a "generous beating" from the illegal Mexican immigrants whom she forces to make her dresses.
- Distracted by My Own Sexy: Rarity breaks her routine of abusing her workforce to gaze at her reflection, calling herself "the most beautiful creature in all of Equestria".
- Fat Bastard: From "DRESS.MOV" onward.
- Jerkass: Taken to so many extreme levels in "DRESS.MOV".
- Not in the Face!: Rarity exclaims "Not my generous face!" upon receiving her generous beating.
- Pet the Dog: Is shown to be comforting Sweetie Belle when she is scared in "SWAG.MOV". She may be an evil sweatshop owner and force several dozen Mexicans into slavery, but hey, she at least cares about her sister.
- Put on a Bus: All but disappears from the story at the end of "DRESS.MOV" after her sweatshop workers stage a revolution.
- Visual Pun: Selfish, greedy Rarity constantly talks about how generous she is. There are only two generous things about her in this show: her obese figure, and the beating she gets when her Mexican workers start a "revolución".
"I am your god now! Bring me your virgins!"
The God of Chaos
who returns from his stone imprisonment to lay waste to Ponyville. Voiced by Max Gilardi
"Oooh, no! Looks like hard times ahead for Pacooo!"
One of over 30 illegal Mexican immigrants who work in Rarity's sweatshop against their will. Also has a Twitter account.
Voiced by Max Gilardi
"Look girls! I finally got my cutie mark!"
Applejack's little sister who just can't wait for the happiest day of her life: the day she gets her cutie mark! Also appears in Ask Jappleack
, which shows her less-than-healthy relationship with her sister. Voiced by Esther Nho.
Click here to see "Derpy post toasterization"
A lovable, wall-eyed pony who gets brutally murdered by Fluttershy and turned into a decorative toaster cozy
The ruler of Equestria, who decides to take matters into her own hooves when Discord comes rampaging.
The definition of "opposite intended result": a demon Twilight summons while trying to bring Rainbow Dash back from the dead
so she can use the Elements of Harmony and stop Discord.
A murderous robot double of Rainbow Dash constructed by Twilight to replace Rainbow Dash after her death
so they can use the Elements of Harmony. Voiced by Max Gilardi
Ask Jappleack characters (SPOILERS)
"Faith, Jappleack. You need to have faith."
— "Ask Jappleack"
Jappleack's Equestria Prime counterpart. Despite her initial uncertainties surrounding Jappleack's sudden appearance on her farm, Applejack winds up taking Jappleack in as a sister.
- Agree to Disagree: She and Twilight Prime frequently argue due to their opposing beliefs on the history of Equestria. Despite their arguments, the two remain good friends.
- Crisis of Faith: Applejack is a firm believer in the Holy Titans. So learning that one of them actually existed but was ready to eat her entire world sends AJ through one of these.
- The Fundamentalist
- Hostile-ish Blog Takeover: Briefly takes over Jappleack's Tumblr after she knocks Jappleack out cold in preemptive self-defense, but only until she is able to get Twilight Prime to come over and explain what's going on.
- Other Me Annoys Me: With Jappleack at first.
- Precision F-Strike: Gives Jappleack a friendly "Get the fuck outta here" when the time comes for her to leave Equestria Prime.
- Weapon of Choice: She's got a shovel and she ain't afraid to use it!
Twilight Sparkle Prime
"Take a deep breath friend, we're going down the rabbit hole."
— "Ask Jappleack"
Twilight's Equestria Prime counterpart. She surveys the goings on of countless alternate universes, including her own, and is Jappleack's go-to pony for info on the maddening events that sent her to her world.
- Agree to Disagree: She and Applejack Prime frequently argue due to their opposing beliefs on the history of Equestria. Despite their arguments, the two remain good friends.
- Guardian of the Multiverse: Twilight Prime falls under this with her Transuniversal View-O-Scope that allows her to observe the entire pony Tumblrverse.
- Ms. Exposition
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: She helps Jappleack devour Appelox, only to discover doing so will affect all of reality.
- Science Hero: Twilight Prime is more liable to rely on science rather than magic to solve a problem.
- Straw Atheist: She refuses to believe Equestria was made by the Holy Titans of Harmony, which puts her at odds with Applejack Prime. When Appelox (one of the Titans) attacks Equestria, she's forced to change her attitude fast in order to make a decent plan.
"Do you honestly think you can fare better against me than my brothers and sisters did?"
— "Ask Jappleack"
The Holy Titan of Honesty who can be found in the void between the worlds. Consumed by gluttony, he had devoured his fellow Titan siblings and now feasts on the essence of the entire multiverse.
"My child, you've been through so much pain."
— "Ask Jappleack"
The Holy Titan of Magic, and the leader of the six Holy Titans. As the old pony tale goes, it was her actions that kept Equestria Prime safe from Appelox's hunger.