Blog: Ask Jappleack
Ask Jappleack is an Ask a Pony Tumblr comic created by Max Gilardi. Originally created as your average NSFW pony blog starring Jappleack, a twisted Jerkass version of Applejack, readers would ask questions resulting in hilarious antics regarding Jappleack's addiction to apples and abusive relationship with her sister, each entry ending by giving readers a piece of apple-related trivia.The blog featured an animated entry, "APPLE.MOV", which spun off into its own web series, PONY.MOV, which put more focus on Jappleack's friends and went on to become a completely separate series... until "SHED.MOV". Then the blog suddenly finds itself with a plot. A very weird plot.Can be read here.
Ask Jappleack contains examples of:
- Ambiguous Gender: Everyone on the show refers to Jappleack as a female, but her response to a Tumblr question asking if she's a boy or a girl is "I don't know".
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: The blog's "Applefacts" tell us facts about apples.
- Armor-Piercing Question: To quote user ask-coral: "What is the point of growing apples?"
- Art Shift: Jappleack waking up in normal Equestria, where everything is styled just like the show.
- Badass Boast: Appelox has a relatively delicious one:Appelox: I am APPELOX! Glutton of the void! Devourer of the planes! I will not cease until all have been consumed! Across all existence, none are safe from the cavernous damnation of my LEVIATHAN GUT!
- Jappleack has a pretty epic one to counter Appelox's:Jappleack: He called himself "Glutton of the Void". I don't know where he got the balls to give himself that title, but gluttony is my territory.
- Jappleack has a pretty epic one to counter Appelox's:
- Break the Haughty: Apple Bloom's death turns Jappleack into a sobbing wreck. It gets worse after that.
- Brick Joke: Jappleack is asked what her favorite book is and she responds with "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". Appelox is later shown with a caterpillar-esque shape.
- Bookends: The Tumblr epilogue takes this slightly further than the main series. The story begins with Jappleack having a less-than-healthy relationship with her sister. In a homage to the show, Jappleack writes a letter to Celestia, where she thanks the princess for everything that's happened, including the fact that her sister isn't dead anymore. The touchy-feely ending is kind of ruined as Jappleack tells Apple Bloom to "Go get me an apple, you ugly slut," but the general tone of the scene remains the same, implying it's more playful than abusive this time around.
- But Now I Must Go: After killing Appelox, Jappleack has to return to her home universe to prevent reality from tearing itself apart, leaving behind her new friends in the process.
- Call Back: This post is a call back to the very first PONY.MOV short.
- Cerebus Retcon: Apple Bloom's death is Played for Laughs in PONY.MOV. Here? Not so much...
- Cerebus Syndrome: Ask Jappleack begins as your usual humorous Ask a Pony Tumblr Fourth Wall Mail Slot that Crosses the Line Twice, but descends into "Dude, Not Funny!" territory when Jappleack begins assaulting Apple Bloom. After a flurry of fan feedback, Jappleack makes peace with Apple Bloom and discovers how much she depends on her sister. Then "SHED.MOV" happens, which has Apple Bloom dying in the opening scene. Jappleack suffers from a deep depression, coupled with the recent death of Winona, losing her appetite for apples, and questioning her purpose in life. The whole blog gets a whole lot more complicated after that.
- Character Blog
- Cosmic Keystone: Subverted. Appelox seems to be one at first, but killing him releases the other Holy Titans from inside him, allowing them to resume holding up reality.
- Cosmic Retcon: According to Twilus, some "force" is undoing the events of her own universe right up to the moments leading to Apple Bloom's death. This feeds into "SWAG.MOV", where the force turns out to be Rainbow Dash performing a Sonic Rainboom, giving her friends the chance they need to stop Discord and inadvertently saving Apple Bloom's life in the process.
- Defiant to the End: Jappleack's defining character trait. Twilight Prime comments that the urge to rebellion seems to be literally integrated into her DNA.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Jappleack eats Appelox, a Titan who feasts on pieces of the multiverse.
- Dissonant Serenity: Jappleack becomes calm and meditative after swearing to kill Appelox.
- Jappleack makes vague comments about something big happening before "DRESS.MOV".
- After her Pet the Dog moment, Applejack makes an innocent comment foreshadowing Apple Bloom's death in "SHED.MOV".
- Early on, a reader pointed out the danger in eating too many whole apples, in that the seeds contain small amounts of cyanide. Readers were reassured that Jappleack eats only cartoon apples. And yet...
- Fourth Wall Mail Slot: The early part of the blog consisted solely of Jappleack answering fan-submitted questions.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Inverted; Jappleack becomes more sane after witnessing the true form of Appelox.
- The Hero's Journey: The plot that ends up setting in turns out to be this. Jappleack is born from an astronomical improbability that sets her apart from the Applejacks of other universes. A mysterious voice in her head beckons her to a new world, which she agrees to do by eating a large supply of apples. She crosses over into Equestria Prime, where she finds herself at peace and decides to live. However, the voice in her head, Appelox, turns out to be a threat to the multiverse who fears Jappleack as the sole being in existence who can stop him. Jappleack enters the void between planes to behold her enemy, and returns to Equestria Prime more determined than ever. She destroys Appelox in a final confrontation, only to learn that she must return to her own world to save the multiverse, and does so a changed, better mare.
- Hostile-ish Blog Takeover: Applejack Prime briefly takes over Jappleack's tumblr after she knocks Jappleack out cold in pre-emptive self-defense, but only until she is able to get Twilight Prime to come over and explain what's going on.
- Ironic Echo: The iconic exchange in "APPLE.MOV" ("Applejack, what are you doing? You can't eat all those fucking apples!" "Fuck you, I can't eat all these apples!") is brought up later in the Ask Jappleack blog by the Friendship is Magic version of Twilight Sparkle, when Jappleack decides to eat Appelox.Twilight Prime: Jappleack, what are you thinking? You can't eat Appelox!
Jappleack: ...Fuck you, I can't eat Appelox.
- I Taste Delicious: "Ever tried to eat the 3 delicious looking apples on your hip?"
- Letting Her Hair Down: Jappleack loses her ponytail and hat during her Heroic BSOD.
- Mind Screw: Combines this and Cerebus Syndrome to interesting effect. (See above)
- Mood Whiplash: After "SHED.MOV".
- Morality Pet: Apple Bloom to Jappleack.
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead: Before Apple Bloom's death, Jappleack beats her into a bloody mess for laughs. Afterward, she is treated as the most important thing in Jappleack's life.
- Pet the Dog: After being told to show her sister some affection, she...has her own way of doing it.Jappleack: Don't you leave me. Don't you ever dare fucking leave me.
Apple Bloom: Um... I...I love you too, sis?
- Shower of Angst: Jappleack takes one after eating a pear during her sisterlessness-induced Heroic BSOD.
- Took a Level in Badass: Jappleack goes from being an abusive elder sister to volunteering to eat an Eldritch Abomination.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Jappleack starts out as a hateful Jerkass who abuses her little sister, and answers many of the questions on her Tumblr like any troll would. Once her sister dies and she discovers the values of love and tolerance from Applejack Prime, she becomes much more mature, loving, and considerate.I0itsmonica: What happened to you, Jappleack?
Jappleack: Meh, I dunno. I guess I just sort of...grew up.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Deconstructed. Apples aren't just Jappleack's favorite food; her entire life revolves around them. So when a user asks what the point of growing apples is, Jappleack is unable to answer on top of her grief towards her sister's death, and thus realizes her whole life has been meaningless.
- Trapped in Another World: In chapter 2 of the blog, Applejack/Jappleack isn't in Equestria anymore...at least not her Equestria.
- Ultimate Evil: Averted when Appelox reveals his true form. And oh my, is it terrifying.◊
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: Twilight Prime's big plan to defeat Appelox will relies entirely on this—the "unspoken" bit is arguable, though, as Twilight Prime is shown reading the Jappleack blog and finds out that Japple's jawspan may in fact be wider than Appelox himself.
- Waking Up Elsewhere: After consuming enough apples, Jappleack ends up in the normal version of Equestria.
- Wham Line: Quite a few, actually:
Twilight Prime: I hate to tell you this, Jappleack, but...you're the one who's not real."
- The first comes when Jappleack finds herself in Equestria Prime:
Twilus: Jappleack...your sister is still alive.
- "Fuck you, I can't eat Appelox."
- After Jappleack kills Appelox, freeing the other Holy Titans from within him, Twilus, the Titan of Magic, delivers one.
- Why Did You Make Me Hit You?: Jappleack sometimes does this to Apple Bloom.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Not long after she realizes how much Apple Bloom means to her, Apple Bloom dies.
- Just as she discovers happiness in Equestria Prime, Appelox comes along and tries to destroy it. When she kills Appelox, she finds that her continued presence in Equestria Prime will tear all of reality asunder, forcing her to leave her new friends.