open/close all folders
Tropes that apply to all or most teams
- Chest Insignia: All of their standard uniforms have their symbol on the chest.
- Dark is Evil: Grunts in all teams seem to favor Dark types.
- The Dog Bites Back: Starting in Gen III, the villainous teams often try to take control of Legendary Pokémon to exploit their powers. It never goes well for them and almost inevitably backfires (with Team Plasma being the only ones to successfully exploit a legendary...twice, actually). This is most prominent in X and Y, where once you rescue Xerneas/Yveltal from Team Flare, the game gives you to the chance to switch it into your team so you can use it against Lysandre.
- Highly Conspicuous Uniform: Their outfits tend to be pretty loud.
- Mooks: Perhaps the most notable feature of the teams' grunts is that they are the only trainer class not to be given individual names.
- Only in It for the Money: Team Rocket, Team Plasma's leadership, and Team Flare's grunts fall under this category; Team Galactic also went in this direction very briefly when they were under Charon's leadership.
- Pet the Dog: Many Team Admins and Bosses tend to have a Crobat in their team. Crobats can only evolve from Golbats that have max friendship with their trainers. Though they could have stolen them, gotten them through trades, or otherwise acquired them without expressing care for them. In the Gen VI games, Lysandre, Maxie and Archie gain the ability to Mega Evolve one of their Pokemon, something they could only do if they shared a strong bond with them.
- Poison Is Evil: Poison-types are a common choice for grunts in all teams.
- Primary-Color Champion: Teams Rocket, Galactic, Plasma, and Skull provide villainous inversions; as while the player characters in all games wear primary colors, these Teams favor blacks, whites, and greys in contrast.
- Stealth Pun: Several teams' Japanese names are rendered as "[X]-dan" ("dan" translating to "Team"), which can also be read as "bullet". For example, "Rocket-dan" can be "rocket bullet".
- Theme Naming: Applied to several characters, with each team having a different theme.
- Walking Spoiler: It's difficult to talk about the teams and their leaders, especially in later generations, without hitting something significantly spoilering.
- Weapon of Choice: While there is some regional variation, it is telling that every single one of the teams listed below uses Zubat. (Well, Team Plasma didn't have any in Black and White 1, but that's only because they weren't even in the regional Pokedex.)
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Teams Aqua, Magma, Galactic, Plasma, and the leaders of Team Flare are all aiming to do what they think is best for the world. Well, Plasma's leaders claim to, but many of the grunts buy into it.