A list of characters from Kyo Kara Maoh!
. Beware of unmarked spoilers, as usual.
The Demon World That Looks Like The Alps
He was an Ordinary High School Student
until the day a couple of bullies decided to flush his head in a toilet. Suddenly, he was transported to a different world where he was the Maoh. Although he took a while to get used to his new settings, he learns to rule this his kingdom, with the help of his friends
Being unaware of the demon kingdom's customs, Yuuri gave Wolfram a slap across the face for insulting his mother. Unfortunately, this was a way that nobles would propose marriage to one another, leaving poor Yuuri in an engagement that he never meant to be a part of.
Whenever Yuuri's life or the life of one of his close friends or even the life of an innocent bystander
is in trouble, Yuuri's demon side
surfaces and uses water created from maryoku to serve justice to the attacker
Yuuri has a very naive and idealistic personality. He believes that everyone should be trusted, even if they've betrayed him already
and that no life is beyond redemption. In a way, it's a good thing, as he manages to save Geigen Huber
and becomes very popular in his kingdom. However, he often is taken advantage of because of this gullible and foolish behavior, which is where his helpful friends and demon side come into play.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: Or rather an absurdly youthful father. Yuuri is fifteen when he adopts a ten year old Greta.
- All-Loving Hero: Yuuri has declared that he believes love and trust to be something you give to everyone and not just to a single person.
- Always Save the Love Interest: Subverted and played straight. Yuri feels like Wolfram can take care of himself and he is the one that usually needs rescuing anyway. But the FEW times where Wolfram is in trouble, he won't hesitate to protect him. Special mention to when Wolf was kidnapped and he chased after the Originators on his own.
- Apologetic Attacker: "It is not my nature to kill, but..." every damn time. We're beginning to think he's not so sincere.
- Bad Ass: His demon form certainly counts.
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Normal: His human form has his moments, like when he uses his knowledge of baseball to disarm Wolfram in their first battle.
- Battle Aura: The Maoh, to a ridiculous extent in the second opening theme.
- Berserk Button: Hurting innocent people, whether they be friends, bystanders or enemies will trigger a transformation to a side of Yuuri's that isn't so merciful...
- Also, don't put Wolfram in danger. More often than not, he will turn to his demon side for power to save him.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Yuuri is one of the nicest rulers in existence. However, if you hit one of the above berserk buttons, well...
- Can't Stay Normal: When Yuuri runs home after being betrayed by Sara, Bob sends him into an alternative universe where Yuuri and Shouri have normal, everyday lives. Yuuri chooses to trust Sara and return to the Mazoku world.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome
- Curtains Match the Window: A sign that he's nobility in the demon world.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Double Consciousness: The Yuuri who is Demon King and the Yuuri who is an average schoolkid.
- Easily Forgiven: Yuuri is a very forgiving person. More than a few people have outright manipulated Yuuri, and he's forgiven most, if not all, of them.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Fearless Fool
- The Fool: Often borders on Stupid Good as well.
- Genre Savvy
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: More of a case of Transparent Closet than anything else.
- Hellish Pupils
- High Hopes, Zero Talent: Yuuri's passion is baseball, but he's only average at it in his own world and tries to make up for it with his leadership skills.
- Horrible Judge of Character
- 100% Adoration Rating
- I Am Who?
- Improbable Age
- James Bondage: He sure gets kidnapped a lot.
- Kid Hero: Guess who he is voiced by in the dub.
- Making a Splash
- Mistaken for Cheating: Because Wolfram is very possessive.
- Mistaken for Gay: By his whole kingdom!
- The Messiah
- Ordinary Highschool Student
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Whenever he goes out,
the people always shout he dyes his hair and put contacts in, but doesn't change any other part of his appearance. Justified, as most commoners don't see their king on a daily basis and only know that he has black hair and black eyes.
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Anime only. His hair stays the same length when his demon side takes over in the manga.
- Promoted to Scapegoat: Yuuri being forced to become king.
- Protectorate: For everyone else. Makes sense - he's their king, after all.
- Reincarnation: of Susanna Julia von Wincott
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Yuuri often personally deals with his kingdoms more direct threats more often than not.
- Showy Invincible Hero
- Split Personality: Near the beginning, Yuuri can't seem to remember what his demon side does, which might qualify it for this. However, near the end of season three, he begins to control his power putting this up for debate.
- Spell My Name with an S: Is it Yuri, or Yuuri?
- Stupid Good
- Superpowered Evil Side: The Maoh, who isn't evil, but he does things that human Yuuri would never think of doing.
- Unlucky Everydude: An Ordinary High School Student, who is kinda dorky, not very popular with girls, and not as good at baseball as he'd like to be...becomes the friggin' king!
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry
Wolfram Von Bielefeld
Yuuri's fiance and quite possibly his more cynical Foil
, Wolfram is a demon who can manipulate fire
. Near the beginning of the series, he is rather immature and arrogant, acting very spoiled and causing the Maoh's other attendants to give him nicknames like 'Little Lord Brat', but over the course of the series, he matures. Although he did not approve of being the Maoh's fiance at first, he changes his mind when Yuuri's demon side kicks his butt in battle
. He soon grows very protective over Yuuri, yelling at anyone who comes too close to him. He is especially jealous of Conrad.
Wolfram can be very impatient and tends to rush into battles head-first. He can be impulsive with his decisions, especially in battle and believes that being the strongest is the way to win. When Julia reminded him that it would be a good idea to learn healing magic, he dismissed it as unimportant because he thought a soldier's job was to fight - not heal.
He is also very proud of his Mazoku blood, convinced that it makes him superior
to his brother
Conrad or any other person with human blood in them.
Conrart (Conrad) Weller
When Yuuri is found by Aldebert during his initial arrival to the demon world, Conrad jumps in to save him.
Because he is kind, understanding and loyal, he gains Yuuri's trust very quickly and becomes quite close to him
. Conrad is usually the one that Yuuri will talk to when a problem arises and Conrad will also be first person to save Yuuri if there is any chance of danger.
Although Conrad is rather mature, he sometimes forgets that other people care about him quite a lot and therefore runs off on his own to complete missions that might put him in danger. Usually, the rest of the group
(or at least part of it) catches up to him and reminds him that there's no need to go on your own. In a way, this attitude of his contrasts Yuuri's, who would prefer to convince his friends to join him on missions. His actions also cause much confusion between Yuuri's subjects, as he switches between Yuuri's side and the enemy's side (usually Big Shimaron) more than once,
however, he always believes that he is helping Yuuri in the best way that he can.
Yuuri will refer to Conrad as his godfather, as Conrad is the one that gave him his name. Later, it's revealed that Conrad was sent to earth to send Julia's soul into Yuuri's body, as part of Shinou's plan. It's also during this time that Conrad became much kinder than he previously was, taking the comment that Yuuri's father told him about his 'unkind eyes' seriously.
- An Arm and a Leg: He gets his arm lopped off while protecting Yuuri. He gets better.
- Always Someone Better: Conrad is that person.
- Bad Ass
- Badass Normal: Not having magical powers hasn't stopped him from becoming Shin Makoku's best swordsman.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Yuuri.
- Big Damn Heroes: He does this a lot.
- Brown Eyes: To emphasize his human ancestry in a family of made up of mostly Demons.
- Character Development: Pre-storyline. It's shown that he was a very different person before Yuuri's father made him change.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Long = 20 years ago. Short = Present.
- Fake Defector
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Heartbroken Badass
- Heel-Face Turn: which doubles as a Crowning Moment of Awesome in episode 40, when he takes several arrows to the chest protecting Yuuri in the most dramatic way possible.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Jozak. Usually.
- Humble Hero
- Hyper Awareness: In the manga and novels, Conrad is able to determine the country of origin, social standing, and main occupation of a man in disguise with just a quick glance. Too bad he doesn't use these mysterious powers all the time.
- The Lancer: To Yuuri, as he essentially follows the king wherever he goes and usually plays a key role in many of their adventures.
- Subordinate Excuse: To be around Yuuri.
- Superpowerful Genetics: The Weller genes seem to all be dominant! And full of win.
- 100% Adoration Rating: Ever notice how everyone loves Conrad, even his enemies? They just can't help but love the guy and think he's awesome.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness
- Mangst: Conrad has lots of Mangst concerning the death of Julia and the events of the war 20 years previous.
- Master Swordsman: He has a reputation as Shin Makoku/The Demon Kingdoms greatest swordsman.
- Officer and a Gentleman
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His real name is Conrart, but Yuuri calls him Conrad. Everyone else does too, either to keep it consistent, or because it's easier to say.
- Rebel Relaxation: Conrad's favorite past-time is leaning up walls. Yeah, those walls would have long fallen down without him holding them up.
- Royal Blood: As a half-blood, he has no claim to any demonic lineage (also why he has no 'von' in his name unlike his brothers). However, he Wellers were the original kings of the Big Shimaron before the Belal family dethroned them. He only threatens to lay claim to his lands in the third season as part of a political gambit, as he has very little interest in being anything besides Yuuri's bodyguard.
- The Quiet One
- Warrior Prince
- What, Exactly, Is His Job?: Soldier? Babysitter? Bodyguard?
Gunter Von Christ
Gunter is the man in charge of teaching Yuuri while he's in the demon kingdom. In other words, he's Yuuri's private tutor, who Yuuri spends much of his time trying to avoid, for obvious reasons
. Nevertheless, he's quite competent in his job, and is very determined to make sure that Yuuri is as educated as he could possibly be for the real world.
At first, Gunter seems a little like an idiot, or perhaps more like a teenager girl in love. He tends to be rather overprotective of Yuuri, fussing over every little thing and freaking out whenever he goes missing. Supposedly (at least in the manga), Gunter was actually quite the organized, professional man before he met Yuuri. Just goes to show you, doesn't it?
Outside the castle, Gunter is actually quite a good fighter. He is extremely good with a sword and in fact was Conrad's teacher in the past. Gunter was the one who trained all the soldiers, teaching them to improve their swordsmanship so that they would be ready to fight in war.
and being of demon blood, has his own magical abilities.
Gwendal Von Voltaire
The most aloof and mysterious of Yuuri's subjects, Gwendal first doubts Yuuri's ability to lead the kingdom. After Yuuri summons the Maoh's spirit
and defeat's Wolfram, Gwendal realizes that Yuuri is the true king. He's more logical and less compassionate than the other members on Yuuri's team, which leads him to disagree with Yuuri on a lot of decisions. Still, Gwendal always respects Yuuri's authority, giving Yuuri advice when he asks for it and aiding Yuuri in plans he might not completely agree with. As a very professional and stiff man, Gwendal seems to have very little interest in useless conversations and relationships in general, making him initially difficult for Yuuri to get along with. However, they soon learn to get along with each other, although Gwendal will occasionally reprimand Yuuri for making naive or foolish mistakes.
Gwendal has a love for small, cute things
. Usually, this refers to animals such as kittens
, dolphins and Bearbees
. His personal office is filled with stuffed animals that he knitted on his own. It's stated that Gwendal began knitting because his childhood friend Anissina gave him lots of stress.
- Aloof Big Brother: Though he cares in his own way, Gwendal seems to more or less be this towards Conrad, and especially, Wolfram.
- Badass Arm Fold
- Cuteness Proximity
- Dishing Out Dirt
- Dub Name Change: Strange, because it's averted by the rest of the cast. In the Japanese, he's Gwendal Von Voltaire. In the English, his name becomes Gwendal Von Walde.
- Actually, that was only in the Fansubs. The English DVD still use von Voltaire.
- Face Palm: Sometimes you can't blame the guy. Other times, you're face palming with him.
- Hidden Heart of Gold
- Jerkass Fašade
- Menacing Stroll
- Only Sane Man: He's arguably this, especially when Yuuri's got a particularity reckless and naive idea.
- Perpetual Frowner: Gwendal is always glaring or frowning at everyone. At the beginning of the series Yuuri usually wonders what happened to make him mad, but Conrad cheerfully assures him that Gwendal "was just born with that face."
- Real Men Knit And Love Cute Animals
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: Sometimes, the insanity becomes too much even for him.
- The Spymaster: He's the one who orders Yozak around most of the time. If someones digging for information, chances are Gwendal told them to.
- The Strategist: More so in the beginning, before Ken Murata gets involved.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Whenever he sees Anissina.
- With Friends Like These...: Him and Anissina.
Josak is a spy in the Demon Kingdom army who is half-demon, half-human. Conrad's father rescued him from the human lands when he was little, and since then Josak and Conrad have been close friends and faced many dangers together. He is a master of disguise and has been known to pose as a woman on various missions. He even carries a dress along with him at all times for good luck.
Josak is very comical and expressive, facing every situation with light-heartedness and funny quips. He often does this to hide his own feelings, particularly anger and resentment at the treatment of half-humans such as him. While he is close friends with Conrad, they often don't see eye to eye which can lead to arguments or even physical violence. However, in the end, he tends to go along with whatever Conrad wants, since he is the superior officer.
At first, he seems a little skeptical of Yuuri's ability, causing Yuuri to become less confident in his abilities. However, he manages to win Yuuri's trust, as Yuuri has him take care of the jewel that powers Morgif.
Anissina Von Karbelnikof
A head-strong woman filled with lots of ideas for inventions that are usually ridiculous, or have a ridiculous way of being powered. Anissina seems to think women are the future of the kingdom, with men being too reckless and incompetent to do anything well. Regardless of this, she is rather fond of Yuuri and does her best to help him... whether that is good or bad.
Whenever she has a new invention, she tends to force Gwendal to try it, or if she is unable to find him (as he usually hides from her), she has Gunter try it. Her inventions never seem to work out the way she wants them to.
It's revealed that she and Gwendal grew up together, and that she was the one to teach Gwendal how to knit, although she doesn't believe that Gwendal has any talent in the field.
Greta is very fond of Anissina and seems to look up to her like an older sister.
- Arranged Marriage: Her brother sets her up in one, believing that she is unhappy. Of course, Anissina doesn't want this at all and tries to get Gwendal to fake a double suicide with her. He refuses. She then has Darcos play the role, but of course, Gwendal interrupts at the last minute and rides away with her. They have a moment by sunlit water... and then proceed to yell at each other. Her brother (and everyone else) mistakes this act for love.
- Fiery Redhead
- Gadgeteer Genius
- Minami Takayama
- Running Gag: Her inventions will work... but are either require a ridiculous amount of power or don't work the way she wants them to.
- Straw Feminist: A very mild one, but she does believe that women should be in power.
- With Friends Like These...: Her and Gwendal.
Cecilie Von Spitzweg
She first appears as a 'sexy queen' that Yuuri accidentally
stumbles into in the private bath. Turns out, not only is she the previous Maoh, but she is also the mother of Gwendal, Conrad and Wolfram. All three of them have different fathers and Cecilie always seems to be on a 'search for love'.
Later, we discover that she resigned from being the Maoh because the job became too stressful and she began to rely on her brother (Stoffel) to make all the decisions for the kingdom, instead of making them herself. This caused a lot of drama and tragedy, such as the death of Julia, who was very close to Cecilie. Most of the royals still dislike Cecilie's brother for this, especially Aldabert, who left the Mazoku tribe altogether. When she has the chance to give Yuuri some advice, she tells him not to rely on other people for his decisions, as he was chosen as the Maoh for a reason.
Cecilie is very flirty and affectionate, even to her own sons. She loves to hit on Yuuri whenever she can (even though it pisses off Wolfram
) and later hits on Yuuri's brother when he arrives, despite having a boyfriend.
The adopted daughter of Yuuri and Wolfram.
The Planet In Which Yuuri Always Shows Up In A Bathtub
Murata makes an appearance in the first episode, as a boy being bullied. Yuuri, being a fighter for justice
interrupts them - giving Murata the chance to run away. He doesn't forget this act of kindness, however, as he and Yuuri are good friends from that point onward.
At first, Murata seems like nothing more than one of Yuuri's school friends (okay, his ''only'' school friend
), but it's revealed in season two
that he's actually a Reincarnation of the Great Sage, who once traveled with Shinou. He then becomes a mysterious strategist that seems to know everything that is happening, yet never tells Yuuri unless it is absolutely necessary. In spite of all this, he is very loyal to Yuuri.
Murata cannot travel between Earth and the Mazoku world on his own, so he must travel with Yuuri. It's later revealed that Murata seems to be able to 'transfer' power into Yuuri's Mazoku form, making it more powerful.
- Amplifier Artifact
- Curtains Match the Window: Except that time that he dyed his hair blond. He dyed it back. Or it faded out. It's never specified.
- Deadpan Snarker: He evolves into this as he stops playing stupidity.
- Distressed Dude: In the human world, he has no means of defending himself and often relies on Yuuri to save his ass. It's pretty much the same in the Demon World, which is why he stays on the sidelines to avoid this. Most of the time, this is an intentional example.
- Easily Forgiven/Karma Houdini: Near the end of season 2, he basically jeopardizes Yuuri's life by pushing him into The Great One who needs him as a vessel and almost destroys the whole world with a gamble that could defeat the Originators. While he never turned on anyone, it's to be noted that he's never punished for putting everyone at risk and when Yuuri brings it up at the end, Murata just replies, "I knew you wouldn't give up. If you did, we'd all be dead.
- Face-Heel Turn: Subverted.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Implied in the novel. The reason he seems to only hang out with Yuuri is because he doesn't have any friends that will talk to him. It would explain why he's always bullied in the first place.
- Nerd Glasses
- Non-Action Guy: Except that one incident where he is shown capable of doing martial arts...but he never does again.
- Obfuscating Stupidity
- Ordinary High School Student: Although it's technically subverted.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's the reincarnation of the Great Sage and he retains all the memories of his previous incarnations as well.
- Reincarnation: Of the Great Sage.
- She-Fu: A rare male example however, he has only shown to fight with martial arts once during one arc and is never brought up again as he stays on the sidelines.
- The Strategist
Yuuri's older brother, and the future Maoh of Earth