Angry Birds Stella is an CGI animated series based on the Angry Birds Spin-Off game of the same name and is the third series created in the franchise, after Angry Birds Toons and Piggy Tales. It features the titular Girly Girl pink bird and her friends Poppy, Luca, Willow and Dahlia, as well as her former friend-turned-enemy Gale and her army of Bad Piggies. Each episode is six minutes long.
The series premiered on November 1, 2014 and ended on March 11, 2016, with a total of 2 seasons and 26 episodes. Like Angry Birds Toons, it could be viewed in some of Rovio's apps as well as ToonsTV until it was shut down in 2017, moving the series as well as Toons to the official Angry Birds YouTube channel. It is also available on Netflix through compilations alongside Toons and Piggy Tales.
Angry Birds Stella provides examples of:
- All-CGI Cartoon
- Adaptational Nice Guy: Downplayed. While the Minion pigs are still the antagonists, their status as Affably Evil seems to be more apparent in this series since most of their antargonistic actions toward Stella's flock are due to Gale's orders as they never harm them or doing anything bad before she became their leader. In fact, they generally kinder around the birds (albert, still kind of annoying) and even didn't hesistate to teaming up with the birds in first season finale to rescue both Stella & Gale from the volcano.
- The Bad Guy Wins: The Shaman Pig succeeds in assimilating everyone into his horde (including Stella and Gale) and the scene breaks into a wild dance of the assimilated birds and pigs. Then we cut to dawn, where everyone is normal again and the Shaman Pig and his minions have returned to their rest. And the short ends with the Shaman Pig's laughter, making it clear he has simply returned to his rest. In other words, if the spell hadn't only lasted till dawn, (or maybe the Shaman Pig needed to return to his rest, this would have been the end of everyone on the island as we know them.
- Darker and Edgier: While it still has the same tune of humor like the other Rovio animated series, Stella series features a story arc that focused on drama and also occasually has some creepy moments. Oh, and Gale also died in this. Granted, she did survive, but barely...
- Even Evil Has Standards / Even Evil Has Loved Ones: As much as the minion pigs being loyal toward Gale and (almost) never hesistate to do anything she told them to, they find her turning one of their friend into a gold with her recently found golden egg to be too cruel. They even disgusted at Hamsome Pig who decide to join back at Gale's side after being spared when he already planned to take away the golden egg along with them to avoid further harm (And to take back her attention, for Hamsome Pig's case at least).
- Face-Revealing Turn: Stella finds Luca on Halloween after being attacked by the Shaman Pig and his minions, only to find he's already been turned into a pig minion himself. This is done again with Gale.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: "To the Bitter End" ends with Gale getting crushed by falling rocks. Subverted in the end of the next episode, however, where it is revealed that she did survive, just severely battered.
- Halloween Episode: "Night of the Bling"
- Hope Spot: When the Shaman Pig awakens and has turned most of the birds and pigs into his own piggy minions, Stella uses herself as bait while Poppy destroyed the stone speakers to put the horde back to sleep... except it doesn't work for long and Poppy gets turned. A second one when she's cornered and found Gale, and we think we might have a Enemy Mine moment on our hands...until she turns around and is revealed to be assimilated too.
- Punch-Clock Villain: The minion pigs. See Adaptational Nice Guy.
- Recursive Canon: In "It's Mine!", Poppy can be seen playing Angry Birds, complete with sounds from the game and the classic theme song.
- Smelly Skunk: In ''All That Glitters", Gale was seen searching a cave for treasure and finds a gem "guarded" by a skunk like creature. She manages to take the gem but gets sprayed in the process.
- This also happens to the Hamsome Pig after Gale pushes him down the cave to retrieve her crown: only to realize it was on her tail and to make matters worse, she doesn't go back to help him!
- In the season one finale "To the Bitter End", another skunk (or the same one from before) was seen "guarding" the golden egg and fires at Gale but hides behind Stella to shield herself from the blast!
- Unholy Matrimony: When Dahlia and Handsome Pig are turned into the Shaman Pig's minions, they immediately begin crushing on each other.
- When they're back to normal, they're disgusted and flee from each other.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Played for terror in Night of the Bling when Stella and her flock accidentally awaken a Shaman Pig who turns the pigs into his gold wearing minions. He also not affected by Gale's crown, and turns members of Stella's flock into his piggy minions.