ALF Tales was an animated Spin-Off of ALF, featuring the Alf characters in various classic stories, usually fairy tales. Alf's girlfriend, Rhonda, usually featured as the leading lady. Larson Petty often figured as the villain of some episodes and Madame Pokipsi would often play a Wicked Witch. Interestingly, most episodes would parody a different movie genre (e.g., Cinderella was an Elvis Presley movie, and Rumpelstilskin was a detective movie).
This series provides examples of:
- Animated Actors: Each episode begins with the characters taking the stage while Alf introduces the week's story to the audience.
- Fairy Tale Episode: Funnily enough, the entire series is composed of these.
- Gender Flip: Not employed very often, but some of the episodes would have Alf take on a role that was originally a girl, though usually Rhonda would play the heroine.
- This was parodied in the Alice in Wonderland episode, where Rhonda complained that she should have been Alice.
- Man Versus Machine: Combined with Cooking Duel in the John Henry episode, which turns Henry from a railroad worker to a celebrity chef battling a food-making machine.
- Shout-Out: Among others:
- Rapunzel is partly a parody of Sunset Boulevard.
- Cinderella is an Elvis Presley movie.
- Aladdin is a spoof of the On the Road movies.
- Jack and the Beanstalk parodies Alfred Hitchcock thrillers, with Title Drops to nearly all his movies and injokes (such as a pair of villains called Martin and Landau).
- No Fourth Wall
- Something Completely Different: The King Midas episode is mostly an Indiana Jones parody with very little mention of the Midas myth.
- Vanity License Plate: On the Rumplestilskin episode, this is how they find out the title character's name. Alf even says "His vanity will be is undoing."