Life in Peace City is, well, peaceful. Sure, there's the occasional monster attack, but that's what the city's Magical Girls are for. Practically celebrities, these girls have obtained popularity untold, both at work and in school.
Which is where the world's image of Magical Girls is harshly subverted, in that at school, they're alpha bitches to the extreme.
A pair of sisters, Julie and Callie, discover this the hard way, by each becoming the MG's designated targets. While the stress on their lives is hard, the two of them manage to get by... until Julie is murdered, and Callie having immense reasons to suspect the Magical Girls. On that day, she declares war against the Magical Girls of Peace City. Her mission: discover the truth behind Julie's murder - and killing the Magical Girls along the way.
Miss Guillotine is a Korean Webtoon written by Gaje and drawn by stego.
See also Sleepless Domain, a friendlier take on the concept.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- A Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Read: Mint, also known as Mind Heart, has the ability to read minds. This sounds great in concept but knowing what people really think of her is slowly driving her insane.
- Ascended Fanboy: Hailey humors her greatest fan, Kayla, until she begins to surpass her in popularity. She could not let Imitation Beauty get more attention than her.
- Big Bad: Terrie has been playing everyone from the start, ever since Julie made her Sweet Ifrit by playing on her guilt over Jina's bullying and death. She's the one responsible for Hailey and the rest becoming magical girls when not so subtly manipulated Julie into choosing them, and has been provoking reactions out of everyone that eventually led to their deaths. Unlike a usual Big Bad, it was never exactly her plan to get rid of everyone from the start and she was mainly an opportunist.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Hailey and Sue can be considered this, since Hailey at first looked like she was the leader of the magical girls, and Sue appeared to be a schemer in her own right, but neither of them realized Terrie was manipulating their reactions the whole time.
- Big Good: Deconstructed with Julie. She tried to be this, but she unfortunately kept choosing the wrong girls to empower which ended up causing her and sister untold pain before it ultimately got Julie killed. She's an example of what happens when a person with the power to be a Big Good isn't able to accomplish much because of poor decision making and for being too naive. It's later reconstructed with Sarah in the side story who, though fallible, is arguably doing a better job as a revelator than Julie did by making sure the magical girls aren't corrupted by popularity and for being able to take criticism when her decisions are called into question.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Every magical girl except Sarah, but Terrie stands out as the biggest example.
- Compelling Voice: Callie, a revelator whose thoughts are heard in the heads of magical girls.
- Costume Evolution: When Sweet Ifrit evolves into Saint Ifrit, she gains a spiffy, new outfit.
- Cute and Psycho: Terrie or Sweet Ifrit may seem like a cute magical girl but she expresses the desire to kill those who cross her or the other magical girls.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Sarah's awakened form as Raven Campanula, which isn't white and silver like her original form. This highlights she is no longer taking a passive role and is owning up to her past failures instead of letting them hold her back.
- Driven to Suicide: Mint throws herself off the school roof after killing Mr. Park, after discovering he's a child molester.
- Elemental Rivalry: Chloe (electricity) and Sue (water).
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Being the pinnacle of beauty, the citizens of Peace City assume that Hailey must be as beautiful on the inside.
- Grew a Spine: Sarah, after finally deciding she needs to do something instead of fearing she'll only make things worse. While she's not able to stop Terrie or prevent Callie's death, as the new revelator she's able to guide new magical girls to avoid the same mistakes the others made.
- Hate Sink:
- Jina, the previous fire magical girl, had absolutely no redeemable qualities. She was a vicious bully and a two-faced liar who victimized Terrie and turned her into a nervous wreck. It is impossible to feel sorry for her after Julie removed her powers and she died, since Jina's bullying is what transformed Terrie into the true Big Bad of the series.
- The faceless classmates who support the horrible actions of Hailey and the other magical girls exist to be this trope, since they're repeatedly there to serve as mindless, asskissing groupies who'll eagerly turn on the magical girls if they think they have an excuse for it. The end of main series implies all of them were humiliated pretty badly when the truth of Peace High came out. One girl is seen giving testimony about the awful things Hailey and the others did, only for the reporter to then ask the girl what she and the other girls did in response to the bullying. Suddenly the girl doesn't feel like talking.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Hailey espouses that "Beauty will always have its advocates" when she bullies Kayla and treats her like crap. And then she sees people supporting Kayla, and Hailey suddenly realizes that logic isn't reserved solely for her.
- If I Can't Have You...: Mint kills Mr. Park, the teacher she has unrequited love for.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: How Chloe acts toward Sue. She is jealous of Sue's swimming ability since she became afraid of water when she became the magical girl of electricity.
- Karmic Protection: Sarah, as the only legitimately good (but not blameless) magical girl, is the only survivor of the main cast aside from Ivy and Ara.
- Magic Plastic Surgery: Hailey, formerly Michelle, goes through extensive plastic surgery to make herself look like a "proper" Illuminaty Beauty. Which somehow makes her slimmer, taller, changes her eye shape, and changes her body proportions.
- Make Way for the Princess: Hailey is accompanied by her mean girl posse at all times. No one will dare cross the most popular girl at school.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Julie realizes far too late that Michelle was not truly beautiful on the inside.
- Nice Girl: Ivy, previously called Daisy Nova, is one of the few legitimately kind and decent magical girls in the city, and she was able to not let her fame go to her head like the most of the others.
- Proud Beauty: Hailey is proud of her looks. She is widely regarded as the most beautiful person in Peace City and she uses this to her advantage...
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Chloe and Sue respectively. Chloe is the hot-headed Coil Gold while Sue is the cold and distant Aqua Prussian.
- Rich Bitch: Sue comes from a wealthy family.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Mint tells everyone that Callie and Mr. Park are having sex as revenge because she thinks Callie flirted with him. She didn't learn until it was too late that Park is a child molester and has had sex with students at his old school, which is where Mint's sister used to attend.
- School Idol: Hailey is by far the most popular girl in school.
- Stock Shoujo Bullying Tactics: With bullying being so rampant at the school, many of these tactics have been used. Almost every main character has been the subject of nasty rumors.
- Suicide by Cop: Callie allows herself to be killed by the magical girls of other cities after she finally kills Terrie.
- Teen Idol: Hailey is treated by the media as an idol and is constantly modeling for photo shoots and promoting the latest products. She is only a senior in high school and she has already made more money than most people in their whole lives.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: Chloe and Sue's Red Oni, Blue Oni dynamic causes the two to clash over even the most minor of problems. Chloe represents the hot-headed and passionate tiger. Sue is the calm and logical dragon.
- Token Evil Teammate: Sue and Terrie, although Sue is a much more obvious example in that even her own teammates dislike her. Terrie ultimately proves to be worse long after Sue dies.
- Token Good Teammate:
- Sarah, the Magical Girl of Justice. After Julie's death, she wants to go confess their role immediately, and tries again after Hailey is murdered. She's the only survivor because she was this trope.
- Sophie later becomes one when she dies trying to protect Sarah from Callie and Kayla.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Julie, dear God. The entire plot would never have happened if she hadn't made the mistake of empowering Jina as a magical girl and then tried to make up for it at the worst possible time. This made Jina's bullying of Terrie worse and shaped her into becoming a sociopathic manipulator, and gave Terrie the chance to guilt Julie into turning her into a magical girl.
- Unwitting Pawn: Callie used Kayla to get to Hailey. Even after Kayla learns how Callie ruined her life for her revenge, Kayla still wants to help her.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Kayla doesn't hesitate to chew Callie out when she realizes how far Callie went to use her to destroy Hailey.