Console Waifu is a series of web comics created by written by Merryweatherey and illustrated by Princess Hinghoi, in which various video game consoles and handheld devices during the 8th to 9th generation of Console Wars are portrayed as cute anime girls. It basically serves as a Spin-Off to Merry's other webcomic, I Made A Comic About Internet Explorer with video game consoles.
While not available in Webtoon yet, the comics can be viewed in Merryweatherey's Twitter or Youtube account (with Japanese and later English fan-dubbing)
Tropes associated with Console Waifu
- Beware the Nice Ones: Nintendo Switch is the most friendly girl in the cast, but Xbox learned the hard way not to mock her appearance, like wearing fake hair, because Switch would pull said fake hairs... and then bash the hell out of Xbox with it.
- Butt-Monkey: Stadia, owing to Google's generally disastrous promotion of the console. Despite her bombastic boasts, she's constantly lagging and endlessly mocked by her compatriots. Though it ended up being Played for Drama when eventually, she's seen curling alone and crying in a dark space because no one wanted to play with her for her flaws.
- Cheerful Child: Switch is practically a perpetual cheery kid who cares more about having fun and overall an innocent girl with no mean bones, sporting Girlish Pigtails. Her 'bullying' against Stadia summed up to just merely ignoring her, and eventually she comforted her when Stadia was at her lowest.
- Idiot Hair: Stadia has one in shape of her symbol as drawn by Google. And by far, she's kind of a boastful idiot.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: iPhone and Android tried to goad Switch to do their money-grubbing practices. And her simple answer, with all her smiley default face is "No."
- Jerkass: iPhone and Android will waste no time in insulting others for not sinking enough money for their games and generally act like gold-digging bullies.
- Kindhearted Simpleton: Switch likes to keep things simple for the sake of Rule of Fun and not bother with things like realism or making profits, and she gives off the air of being an airhead. She's also easily the kindest, friendliest console in the comic.
- Lighter and Softer: Compared to I Made A Comic About Internet Explorer, the console world seemed more flighty and kind, like a Slice of Life anime. To wit:
- Stadia lacked Chrome's gigantic, murderous malice and was more Boisterous Weakling.
- The closest to the Hate Sink were iPhone and Android, but they're not quite the trope because they limit themselves into badmouthing others and easily cowed down by PC.
- There were no such thing as brutal battles and murders like what Chrome initiated. There is no equivalent of World Wide Web or Morris Worm within the console-verse so there's no risk of the world being destroyed.
- The users that these consoles tried to please were basically non-entities, instead of being a group of badmouthing Jerkasses that would insult any browser/services that didn't meet their expectations.
- Meido: Playstation styles herself as a dark-colored, cool gothic maid.
- Moe Anthropomorphism: Merryweatherey is at it again, this time with video game consoles.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: When compared to their sisters from the same creator, the products of Microsoft and Google can look very contrasting:
- Internet Explorer is basically a Nice Girl that got abused a lot for her inefficiency before her comeback. Xbox on the other hand, is at least more efficient, but she can be savage and more willing to participate in Trash Talk, despite not being malevolent.
- Stadia is a Boisterous Weakling and idiotic, but generally harmless. Chrome is a Faux Affably Evil Alpha Bitch who is also cold and calculating.
- Spin-Offspring: Can be implied as such, considering that once again, Microsoft and Google had their share of video game console development, being Xbox and Stadia. They're close enough to be the sisters of Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.
- The Stoic: Playstation is usually to the point and wastes little words, in addition of having very limited expressions. She occasionally uses only a single word to describe a situation, serving as a Foil to the more expressive Switch.
- Team Mom: PC is basically the one multi-functional mother that everyone looked up into and does not like it when she sees others being mean.
- Those Two Girls: iPhone and Android are never seen apart from each other.
- Why Won't You Die?: Nokia and her ever-present, ever-free Snake continued to have presence, despite both iPhone and Android wishing that she'd just drop down and die.