Run BTS is a Variety Show featuring the members of Korean Pop Music band BTS. The guys divide into different teams and play a wide variety of games against each other. There are often prizes and punishments for the winning and losing teams.
New episodes are released weekly on the online platform VLIVE, every Tuesday at 9 pm (KST).
Run BTS contains examples of:
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Episode 11 has the members act as high-schoolers for a sketch, with the roles being picked randomly, and Suga got the role of a female exchange student that was wooed by the other guys (played using a female uniform, make-up, and a wig). Not only did other members point out that he looked very good dressed as a girl, but screenshots of his performance as Min Yoonji resulted in many non-fans asking around the internet who the pretty girl was.
- Aw, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: A lot of this in between the competitions; they might cheat or throw each under the bus in competitions, but as seen in occasions such as the bungee jumping episode (Episode 09) or the second half of Episode 56, they always support and encourage each other. As Yoongi says in the latter: "What a relief we are seven. What a relief we have each other."
- Badass Adorable: Despite being the baby of the group, Jungkook is the most badass when it comes to physical tasks.
- Being the strongest member and the one who works out the most, he's able to lift and carry the other members around effortlessly.
- Butt-Monkey: Jin is this in the puppies episode. While all the other dogs do well in the tasks, the dog who picked him does not listen at all. This results in him wailing "Adam" for most of the episode.
- Capture the Flag: More like capture the flags; Episode 08 has the members look for flags in a large forest area.
- Cloudcuckoolander: V appears to be this, but tends to often amaze the guys by doing well at random things or thinking outside of the box.
- Comical Overreacting: They are prone to having exaggerated reactions to literally any situation.
- When V fails to recognize Robert Downey Jr. during the Figure Quiz segment, the members, minus Suga, gave him a big dramatic "how do you not know him?!" reaction. Jungkook, in particular, is a big fan of Iron Man which makes this a bit hilarious and justified.RM: [amid the chaos] The highest guarantee in Hollywood!
[after more chaos]
RM: How come an artist doesn't know RDJ?
- They have a similar reaction to Jimin not recognizing the famous football player Son Heung-Min fast enough to answer with dramatic music playing in the background.RM: This is crazy! You crossed a line! Wow.
- When V fails to recognize Robert Downey Jr. during the Figure Quiz segment, the members, minus Suga, gave him a big dramatic "how do you not know him?!" reaction. Jungkook, in particular, is a big fan of Iron Man which makes this a bit hilarious and justified.
- Competition Freak: Jungkook is probably the most competitive one out of them all; he always puts his 100% into games and hates losing so much. He doesn't have mercy on his opponents either.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Like other variety shows featuring BTS, the games in this show have this kind of punishment for the loser, with the punishments frequently being decided by the members themselves.
- Episode 4 had the losers drink garlic juice. (Un?)fortunately, two members were saved due to time constraints, and Suga easily downed it in one go.
- Episode 5 has the members complete a difficult circuit on a time limit, with the punishment of having them all drink a nasty mix of... stuff. Not only do they manage to complete it, but they get to punish the staff.
- On November 29, 2017, BTS' arrival at the airport on their way to the MAMAs gained media attention due to Jin wearing a hanbok attire for no reason. Turns out, it was a punishment for a game, from an episode released on January 6, 2018. Yes, a whole month passed where the hanbok went unexplained.
- Easily Impressed: Any prize or reward can literally amaze BTS no matter how mundane it is. A ramen cooker is enough to draw such a reaction from them.
- Similarly, another episode had the losing team wear their 90s-themed clothing in a public airport appearance.
- Et Tu, Brute?: V is revealed to have fooled Jimin in one episode where they are supposed to secretly put stickers on other members' backs without their knowledge and Jimin trusts V and leaves his back open to him because he thinks they're allies. When it's announced that Jimin's tagger is V, hilarity ensues including Jimin playfully threatening to end their friendship.
- Even the Guys Want Him: All of them competed for Suga's affections as he was dressed as a female student. None succeeded.
- Foregone Conclusion: In one episode, the members decide that the punishment for the loser will be dressing in a hanbok while arriving at the airport to go to the 2017 Mnet Asian Music Awards. The episode was released more than a month after the 2017 MAMAs, meaning that everyone knew who the loser would be (though not the second-to-last loser, who would get a different punishment).
- Gentle Giant: RM is probably the least competitive of the bunch. This to the point that he holds back in competition when it comes to using English skills, even though it's one of the few times he had an edge over the more physically competitive members.
- High School AU: Sometimes they play games in this kind of setting, sometimes with one of them acting as the teacher/quiz master.
- History Repeats: Not intentional. During Rookie King, it's V who's actually the X-Man while everyone else suspected Jin to be the one, trusting V at his word. In another game, the same situation happened where V is the spy but everyone else suspected Jin as the spy due to V's machinations.
- I Have Many Names: They always come up with strange names for their teams.
- Jack of All Trades: Jungkook usually dominates in sports or strength competitions. Even in competitions where those are less important, he tends to do well.
- Karaoke Box: The entirety of episode 28 is them singing various songs in a karaoke room. It starts messy and ends messier. V is really into it.
- Laser Hallway: Some are better at it than others. This is especially clear with RM and Jungkook's team. RM needs many tries before he gets through it, while Jungkook just slips through it in a second or two.
- Lethal Chef: Exempting a few Supreme Chef, everyone else can be decent. While they aren't bad, V and RM are the worst cooks according to the members. The infamous Jimin and RM's kimchi stew turned out barely edible albeit incredibly salty. While Jungkook is a decent chef, his infamous glazed sweet potatoes stuck to the plate due to the sugar.
- Lovable Coward: J-Hope, full stop. The amusement park episode has him deathly afraid of certain rides while everyone else has fun, and he spent most of the Zombie-episode shrieking and hiding.
- The zombie episode also had everyone except V, RM, and Jungkook as this. Notably, both Jin and Suga got scared by the cameraman.
- Mistaken for Spies: When Jungkook sympathizes in too heartfelt a way with the spy not getting food when discovered, quite a few of the members are convinced he's the one.
- The Mole: In the swimming pool episodes, one member is quietly sabotaging his team.
- Paintball Episode: Episode 07 has the members face off in paintball. They split in 2 teams, with the team with 3 members having an additional external member (a manager who did military service).
- Pool Scene: Downplayed. The guys mostly play games in the pool and it isn't very fan-servicey.
- Rummage Sale Reject: If it was up to Jin, he will design wild clothes that his fellow bandmates reacted with horror. Jungkook was even a little catatonic when he learned he was to wear Jin's set. Although the members who were chosen to wear his clothes pulled it off, even he reacted with shock to who in the world designed Jungkook's outfit.
- Running Gag: Jin usually names his team Kim Seokjin, after himself. One time another team takes the name before he can and it confuses him to the point that he makes mistakes calling out his own team name.
- Lately it's become a Running Gag that the team Jin is NOT in wants to call themselves Kim SeokJin, to Jin's hilarious frustration because the team with that name always wins. Several games have passed where both teams were names some variation of Jin's name.
- Sauna of Death: Two of them need to stay in one until one of them answers correctly. The one who didn't know the answer had to leave. Poor Jimin spent quite some time in it. It was even worse for J-Hope. The members came back in to make sure he wasn't there alone.
- Serious Business: V really goes all out at karaoke. When food is on the line, competition tends to be more serious as well. In the debate episode, mint chocolate was so passionately discussed it became the main staple on BTS history with fans amusingly finding the second round in another video funny.
- Shout-Out: Jimin has whisker marks drawn on his face and a band on his forehead (complete with his blonde hair) as a partial cosplay of Franchise/Naruto in the karaoke episode.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Episode 24 "BTS vs. Zombies" takes place in a zombie-ridden theme park at night where they need to complete missions to fight off zombies and get free tickets to games. Some of them take it worse than others.