Leo and Satan is an animated comedy created by Newgrounds user Oney (Chris O'Neill), featuring the exploits of Leo, a preteen boy with a trapdoor to hell in his bedroom, and Satan, who's exactly who you'd expect him to be, although for the dark lord, he's pretty chipper and childish (but also quite bipolar).
The unlikely duo's first appearance, "Leo and Satan Pancake Doomsday", is a simple introduction to Leo's love of pancakes and Satan's love of sugar. Nothing special.
"Leo and Satan Algebra Aversion" is considered the first full episode, in which Leo's struggling with his math homework. Satan tries to help out, with disastrous results.
"Leo and Satan Sugar Trip" is an overall improvement on length, animation quality and humour, as the pair discover to their horror that they're out of sugar. Whilst walking through town, they bump into a shady man who has what they need...
"Leo and Satan Trash Hazard", has the couple borrow a board game from the neighbor's trash, which turns out to be a Ouija board.
"Leo and Satan - Battery Catastrophe" has the duo trying to find the batteries for their game controller.
"Leo and Satan - Leo Goes to School" It's Leo's birthday, and that means it's time to start going to school.
The series is without a doubt the most popular work of Chris's, so popular in fact that a few attempts were made to get the series pitched as a series on [adult swim]. However, those attempts fell through when Chris learned he may lose creative control of his creation if he did. The series has also been on Hiatus for quite a while, though Chris has said that he is not done making episodes.
However, in July of 2014, Chris announced on Facebook that the series was permanently cancelled after he and Sean Kiely, the series co-creator and voice of many characters, including Satan, decided to mutually sever contact with each other, citing Creative Differences. Chris also felt that he had completely lost interest in the series and its content. He has also stated that he felt especially soured on the series after being ripped off by a certain famous animation studio after he commissioned them to produce an episode for about $6000. Despite being promised otherwise, the end result took far longer to produce than what was expected, and was of a much lower quality than Chris could produce himself. Chris initially refused to pay due to the broken promises, but he was still forced to pay the studio under threat of legal action with their "Hollywood lawyers".
This web cartoon provides examples of:
- Affably Evil: For being Satan, he sure is a pretty upbeat and friendly if not somewhat bipolar individual.
- Animation Bump: From "Sugar Trip" onward, the animation is improved and even an intro sequence is added in.
- Back from the Dead: Apparently, if Leo dies, he'll just go to hell, climb up a tall mountain, and come out through a trap door in his bedroom.
- Badass Boast: From the Fanart Corner:Leo: Satan, you're being a jerk.Satan: Whatevahs, bitch. I'm the muthafuckin' Devil.
- Black Comedy: Very much so.
- Bloody Hilarious: Plenty of examples, such as the fate of that bus driver.
- Catchphrase: Satan's "You asked for it!"
- Chekhov's Gun: The trapdoor that connects hell and Leo's bedroom.
- Crazy Homeless People: The murderous drug dealer who gives Leo and Satan cocaine (which they mistake for powdered sugar) in exchange for some of Satan's pubic hair so he can disguise himself and stalk children at a play ground.
- Creator Cameo: The drug dealer in "Sugar Trip" is Sean Kiely. He even wears the same garb and uses the same voice in an update video.
- Death Is Cheap: When you consider that there is a magic trapdoor leading from hell to Leo's bedroom...
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu??: Satan is a a house-sized red horned dragon, and well he is Satan.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: Leo, at least sometimes. Satan at pretty much all times.Satan: "Lemme help you with that math homework!"Leo: "Wow, Satan, that wud be t-t-tewwific!"
"87a divoided boi seben = what"
- In "Algebra Aversion", one of the math problems on Leo's homework gets in on this.
- Everybody Hates Math: Satan tries to help Leo with his Algebra homework... it doesn't go very well.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Esquire, the creepy stranger who first appeared in Sugar Trip, has a very deep, growly voice. It's not really a man that you would like to meet.
- Also Satan, when he gets furious.
- Exact Words: Leo's birthday wish is for his dead parents to come back to life. Cue shot of said parents' grave with muffled screams coming from it.
- From Bad to Worse: Pretty much whenever Satan helps Leo in his mundane problems.
- The Ghost: Leo's sister is never seen on screen, but is referred to a few times by Leo. As for his parents...
- Incredibly Lame Pun: "Trash Hazard":[after Satan crashes through the window]Leo: Whoa Satan. Looks like your stealth is out the window! *smile*
- Manchild: Satan certainly qualifies.
- Mood-Swinger: Satan is prone to them.
- Mood Whiplash: From "Trash Hazard", the show's usual black comedy comes an abrupt halt when Satan accidentally kills Leo. The whole thing is played heavily for drama...until the stinger when Leo comes out of the trapdoor to Hell, right as rain.
- Mushroom Samba: Leo and Satan suffer one after taking the cocaine from the homeless man. When its over, Leo wakes up on a deserted island panicking on what just happened while a now giant Satan can be seen attacking a ship in the background for no reason.
- Nightmare Face: Satan does this a LOT.
- Number of the Beast: The answer to Leo's math problem in "Algebra Aversion"
- Odd Friendship: A little boy and the dark lord of Hell.
- Ouija Board: In "Trash Hazard".
- Precision F-Strike: "I DON'T FUCKING KNOW. GOD."
- Promotion to Parent: There's enough evidence to suggest that Leo's sister is also his legal guardian. She's the only person he ever mentions when concerned about getting yelled at by an adult, not to mention that the only reference to his actual parents involves them being Buried Alive.
- Satan: A very bizarre depiction of him.
- Speech Impediment: Both Leo and Satan are affected by this when they speak.
- Shout-Out: "The power of Christ compels you!"
- The Stinger: "Trash Hazard": "Now how the heck did I end up in here?"
- Take That, Audience!: The Fanart Corner video is basically Satan calling everyone who submitted shitty artists.Satan: Now if HIV had an art genre, this would be pretty worse.
- Title Sequence: From "Sugar Trip" onward. The intro shows Satan dramatically soar up a mountain in hell and pop up through a door in Leo's bedroom, saying his Catchphrase: "You Asked for it.".
- Vague Age: Leo says he just started pre-school in one episode, but another episode shows him doing algebra homework.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: The ending of "Sugar Trip".
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Satan speaks in what can only be described as an infernal bastardization of a Jamaican accent or maybe "Hiberno-Ali-G-Carribean" with a sprinkle of Briticisms. Leo's accent tends to vary from scene to scene, sometimes approximating Satan's accent, sometimes sounding somewhat Irish (which is the least surprising, considering that the Series' creator is Irish) and sometimes sounding generically American.