Magical eggs that comes from the land of Hatchtopia, Hatchimals are Mix-and-Match Critters who charmed their way into being the top holiday toys of 2016. The gimmick of these creatures is that they manage to hatch by themselves and can grow up (mentally) from baby to child. Created by Spinmaster in that very year, the franchise has grown to include blind bag eggs, novels, and an Animated Adaptation in the form of short animations.
In early 2017, a branch of the franchise called CollEGGtibles was released. They are Funsized versions of the existing characters plus many, many more Hatchimals. Similar to their larger counterpart, these critters do come in eggs, but must be cracked open by hand to reveal who's inside.
Hatchimals provide examples of:
- All There in the Manual: Sticker books and collection guides give little tidbits about the denizens of Hatchtopia.
- Ambiguous Gender: Hatchimals lack any attributes in defining their genders. The CollEGGtibles take that a step further with giving all the critters eyelashes. On the other hand, the Web Series removed the lashes from some of the characters but only in the animation.
- Babysitting Episode: Episode 12, Babysitting EGGcitement, has Paroo assigning Team Hatch to watch over the infant Hatchimals after Tigrette insisted that babysitting is an easy job.
- Beach Episode: Episode 6, Sandcastle EGGventure, where the Hatchimals have a sandcastle contest while Team Hatch tries to find the egg.
- Black Comedy: The Hatchimals CollEGGtibles app has elements of this.
- The Breezy Beach minigame, where your Hatchimal can swim through the ocean for an increasingly long period of time, and eventually no access to air. Their trip will end with a bump in the head by some random object, despite how far they have gone out to the sea.
- The Cloud Cove minigame has your Hatchimal bouncing through the clouds. Failing to land on another cloud has the young Hatchimal presumably fall from sky, or even space, depending on how good you were playing.
- Confession Cam: The Hatchimals web series uses this to a heavy degree, with quips from Team Hatch about the situation at hand.
- Catchphrase: In the Adventures in Hatchtopia shorts, Draggle has Lets do this!. Penguala also has Time to hatch a new friend!
- Continuity Cavalcade: The Hatchery Nursery in Babysitting EGGcitement hosts all the babies Team Hatched helped up to that point.
- Cute Critters Act Childlike: Hatchimals never age (mentally) past childhood.
- A Dog Named "Dog": Hatchimals tend to go by their species name, including their own color for clarification when needed.
- Feather Fingers: How Hatchimals hold things and express themselves in the web series.
- Gender-Blender Name: If you take the Colleggtor's guide bios to heart, then some of the male Hatchimals end up identifying with their feminine sounding names. Special note to Team Hatch's Tigrette, who identifies with male pronouns.
- Gender-Equal Ensemble: Team Hatch has Zebrush and Penguala identifying with female pronouns while Tigrette and Draggle are noted with male pronouns.
- Humans Are Cthulhu: Implied. The main four in Adventures in Hatchtopia initially react to the human-like (albeit not fully human) Pixies with surprise, wonder, shock, and not counting Draggle's reaction even fear. Subverted with the other Hatchies, who, though maybe only because they were immediately given the assurance that the Pixies are friendly, welcome the Pixies with open arms.
- Identity Amnesia: The Forget-Me-Not Florets cause this on anyone who steps on them. Team Hatch had a run-in with these in Hatch Forget Me Not.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Started with the CollEGGtibles series, where more characters were introduced to be found in the mini eggs.
- Meat-O-Vision: Tigrette briefly views his teammates as cupcakes when struggling to keep up in Draggle Takes the Cake
- Punny Name: Every Hatchimal's name is a mishmash between the names of the critters they're based off of.
- Punny Title: Several of the web shorts uses a pun including the word egg or hatch.
- Reactive Continuous Scream: In the Adventures in Hatchtopia episode Flower Power, seeing the Pixie Glittering Gracie for the first time causes Puppit to let out a yell of shock, which prompts Gracie to scream right back.
- Ridiculously Cute Critters: The series runs on this, with special note that the Hatchimals are child-like creatures who are known to hatch from eggs.
- Secret Character: The Golden Lynx is hidden among Season 2 eggs, with only 250 of them in existence. Like a golden ticket, it was part of a promotion to give out exclusive items to those who found them with proof.
- Sugar Bowl Utopia: Hatchtopia is presented as such, with plenty of food, lush environments, and problems surmounting to small issues. Heck, it's even implied in the name.
- Talent Contest: Hatchimals Got Talent revolves around Team Hatch being unsure of what to perform for the Fabula Forest's Talent Show.
- Whale Egg: Semi-justified because most of the Hatchimals are part bird, as indicated by physical features and their names.