Mitsume ga Tōru, or The Three-Eyed One, is a manga series created by Osamu Tezuka, about a gentle little bald boy called Hosuke Sharaku who happens to have a third eye hidden under a bandage, which, when revealed, brings him to a Superpowered Evil Side. Thus, he is both the hero and the villain in his own series. He is followed around by an older girl, Chiyoko Watou, who tries to keep him in check.
Together, they investigate strange events and mysteries and will usually have to take off his bandage so he can use his high intelligence to find a solution. Of course, becoming also evil, the other characters will also have to struggle into putting the bandage back.
Sharaku is a regular of Tezuka's Star System and him and Watou often appear in other works by Tezuka, including the later Black Jack anime series (where Watou is his big sister). He usually keeps his bandage in those appearances. When without his bandage, he is a villain, such as in the video game Astro Boy: Omega Factor where he is the Evil Overlord of the Mu empire.
This series includes examples of:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Watou finds Sharaku more attractive when in his evil state, which she ironically wishes would be as nice as Sharaku's good state due to having to play Sharaku's Cloudcuckoolander's Minder.
- Bald of Evil: Sharaku, without his bandage.
- Coat Cape: Sharaku gets one of these when his Superpowered Evil Side comes into play. In the anime, his coat changes from blue to black.
- Evil Genius: This is Sharaku's main ability which allows him to use his various Psychic Powers to their fullest potential.
- Meaningful Name: The names of the main characters refer to Sherlock Holmes. Sharaku is the Japanese pronounciation of "Sherlock" and Watou is often called "Watou-san", as in "Watson".
- Special Guest: Sharaku makes a special appearance in the 2004 Astro Boy Videogame, as a supposedly innocent NPC neighbor boy of Astro who gives him gifts. Only later is it revealed during two optional mini-boss fights at night that Sharaku is an antagonist after removing his bandage, starting a boss fight with this soundtrack playing and causing some surprise Nightmare Fuel in the process. Especially when he uses Mind Rape to make his ally Chiyoko Wato attack the player. In the video game Astro Boy: Omega Factor where he is the Evil Overlord of the Mu empire.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Many plots are centered around Sharaku's evil alternate personality which ends up driving and ending the plot conflicts.
- Those Two Guys: Kakashi and Osamu. They fit in this trope perfectly in the anime version.