Cheerful Amnesia (Akarui Kioku Soushitsu) is a Romantic Comedy Girls' Love manga by Tamamushi Oku, which takes the Amnesiac Lover trope and plays it for comedy instead of for drama. Arisa is quickly falling back in love with Mari, but there are a few bumps in the road. Mari was the more submissive one in their relationship, relying on Arisa to take the initiative in several areas of their relationship. Now that Arisa has lost the memories that shaped her into the confident initiator in their relationship, both of them have a lot of learning and growing to do to get their relationship back to where it was before Arisa's accident.
This work provides examples of the following:
- Accidental Innuendo: In-Universe: When they're buying carrots at the store, their conversation leaves the clerk wondering what they're going to be doing with the carrots.
- All Women Are Prudes: Completely averted. Before the accident, Arisa and Mari had quite the active sex life. Arisa herself was a total horndog to boot.
- Almost Kiss: Played with. Arisa tries to kiss Mari, hoping it will jog some memories but finds herself unable to go through with it. Mari realizes that she can't expect for their relationship to be to be the same as before, so she initiates a kiss with Arisa.
- Amnesiac Lover: Arisa has completely forgotten her two year relationship with Mari.
- Chastity Couple: Justified. Arisa was always the one that took the lead in her relationship with Mari, so her amnesia means that both of them are at a loss for how to be intimate.
- Genki Girl: Arisa certainly qualifies.
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have!: Arisa thinks that way about Mari's mother Matsuko.
- Love at First Sight: Arisa fell in love with Mari when she saw her working at a fast food restaurant, and proceeded to visit her workplace daily for the next year until Mari returned her feelings.
- Mistaken for Cheating: Mari worries that Arisa might be cheating on her with her coworker. When she snoops in Arisa's phone, all she finds is them trading pictures and stories about Mari being cute at work and at home.
- Noodle Incident: What exactly caused the amnesia. All that we know is that Arisa went missing for 3 days, and came to with no memory. It's later revealed that it was caused by her getting really happy from Mari proposing to her.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Inverted. Arisa's amnesia was caused by her getting overexcited when Mari proposed to her.
- Waterfall Puke / Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Arisa after drinking too much at a class reunion.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Mari's very afraid of insects such as bugs.