Everyone is familiar with the fanservice power of belly exposure, but sometimes a character's design goes to the opposite end of the spectrum. In these cases, their clothes feature a small opening that only exposes the navel and a bit of belly around it, as it is just enough skin showing to draw attention without being blatantly sexy. This can also be a way to indicate that a character has an edgy personality and likes to show off a little bit, or has some unique decoration in that area.
This usually is done either by an actual cutout in the character's outfit or a scalloped or notched hem in the character's top that combines with their pants/shorts/etc. to frame their navel.
Compare and contrast Bare Your Midriff, which involves the midsection being largely or fully exposed to some degree. A lot of characters' costumes have belly-baring openings in them; to fit this trope, the character must be able to mostly or completely cover the area exposed with one hand.
- In Little Witch Academia, Shiny Chariot's white jacket combines a roughly figure eight-shaped navel cutout and a plunging neckline, ostensibly to draw even more attention during her public performances.
- In Maho Girls PreCure, Cure Miracle's Sapphire Style form has a flared notch in the upper garment which only exposes her navel, contrasted with Cure Magical whose Sapphire Style features a halter top with a sari-like extra garment over it.
- In the manga version of Neon Genesis Evangelion, at one point, Asuka wears a jumper-like outfit whose top has a notch in the hem that shows off her navel. This isn't the first time she's worn anything revealing around Shinji, but in this instance, the reduced exposure oddly fits with the scene, as she's asking Shinji if he's talked to Kaji lately and is dejected when he says he hasn't.
- In Pokémon, Harley likes to wear an outfit which makes him resemble his Cacturne, which includes both a vest with Cacturne's pattern of diamond-shaped dark spots and a shirt with a diamond-shaped cutout around his navel.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica:
- Sayaka Miki's Magical Girl outfit features a white corset with a gap around her navel, which exposes her soul gem.
- Kyoko Sakura doesn't attend a school like Madoka and her friends and has a snarky, rough-and-tumble personality. In keeping with this, her casual clothes are short shorts and a jacket over what is likely some kind of belly shirt, as the jacket is unfastened at the bottom just enough to expose her navel.
- Puella Magi Tart Magica: Corbeau features a cutout in her outfit around her navel that vaguely resembles the nib of a fountain pen.
- In the promotional image for Avenging Angel, Angel's Street Walker garb features a zip-up shirt with an angled hem that exposes her navel.
- Vocaloid Megurine Luka has this in both her original and V4x designs. Both Kagamine Rin and Len (the latter a Rare Male Example) also have this in their Append designs. Another Rare Male Example would be Kaito, but mostly just in his default (and thus as close to canon as you can get) MikuMikuDance model. Most fanmade models and canon artwork of him depict him as wearing a shirt under his coat.
- In Honkai Impact 3rd, Rita Rossweisse's Maid of Celestia outfit is an elaborately designed cheongsam which, among its many fanservice aspects, has a diamond-shaped cutout around her navel. Amusingly enough, if you have Rita as your Valkyrie on the home screen in this outfit, her default "waiting" stance means that she stands with her hands covering the cutout.
- Inverted by Elesa's outfit in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, which has her midriff bared except for a gray strip over her navel.
- In Street Fighter V, Menat's story mode outfit, which is the least revealing of the three she has, still features a half-moon-like navel cutout.
- In Steven Universe, Rose Quartz most often wears a long white dress with a star-shaped window around her navel, which exposes her gem.