MikuMikuDance (known amongst the community as MMD) is a freeware program that lets users create 3D animated movies, originally produced for music videos of Vocaloid Hatsune Miku. The program itself was programmed by Yu Higuchi (HiguchiM) and has gone through significant upgrades since its creation. Its production was made as part of the VOCALOID Promotion Video Project (VPVP).
Many notable Vocaloid music videos have been made with MMD.
The software comes with a pack of 3D models of the Crypton Future Media Vocaloids (Miku, Kaito, Len, Rin, and Meiko). Additional models can be downloaded for use, however, the copyright rules depend on the modeler himself/herself. Other programs have been made to work with MMD, like PMD editor, and MikuMikuEffect.
MikuMikuDance and videos made from it provide examples of:
- All-CGI Cartoon: What the program specializes in. The two anime Straight Title Robot Anime and Sega Hard Girls are the first series to utilize this.
- Author Appeal: Many MMD users use PMD editor to make self-models or other characters, usually one they make up or from their favorite series.
- Big Name Fan: Many MMDers become this through their models. TDA, Kio and Mamama are just a few examples.
- Bishōnen: The male versions of Idolmaster characters. New male characters in MMD are very rare.
- Cel Shading: The default setting of the program.
- Department of Redundancy Department: The name of the program.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: This is very common, as models of characters from various series, films and video games have been made. Also comes across as Loads and Loads of Characters if one has a large enough collection of models.
- No Flow in CGI: Tends to happen either with certain models or beginners. Otherwise averted.
- The "Physical Operation" button is specifically made to avert this trope.
- Panty Shot: A lot of the female models with miniskirts have panties, and the camera (and physics) can be quite naughty sometimes...
- Transatlantic Equivalent: Trans-pacific variant — The US tends to use Valve's Source Film Maker to make 3D films out of characters the same way Japan uses MMD.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Many of the miniskirted models.