This is a Stock Joke, where a character pranks another character who is using a garden hose by turning off the water to the hose then turning the water back on when the other character looks into the hose. How this character reacts to the outcome of this prank will vary; he will get angry at the person who pulled the prank on him, or he will just turn the other cheek and spray the other character back as well. There are also cases where a person will inflict this on himself by having his foot over the hose and look in the hose and when he removes his foot, the result is still the same.
- An episode of the Little Lulu anime had Tubby trying to squirt Lulu with the hose as revenge for getting him into trouble. When he finds that the water in the hose won't squirt, because he had his foot on it, he looks into the hose and while he's looking, Lulu tricks him by telling him that a spider is crawling towards his foot. Upon hearing this, Tubby panics, lifting up his foot with the funniest facial expression on his face ever before getting squirted by the hose. (You'll have to see his expression here at this video, at 1:39. I suggest pausing it at that particular mark to see how funny he looks when he lifts his foot.)
- Miss Machiko uses this bit in the very first episode. A student plants a water hose in the ground in order to spray Miss Machiko's skirt up when she walks by (yeah, it's that kinda anime). She ends up stepping on the hose. When the student tries to investigate it, he gets sprayed. Eventually, the teacher steps off the hose and the student gets what he wants anyway.
- This also happened to Chris in the Job episode of Superbook. He was watering the flowers with the garden hose while his father was supervising, sitting on a rocking chair. Note that the hose was directly under the rocking chair so when he rocks on top of the hose, it cuts off the water flow, prompting Chris to look in the hose. Unfortunately, just as soon as he looks into the hose, Prof. Peepers (Chris' father) then rocks the chair forward, causing the water to squirt Chris in the face. Of course, Prof. Peepers then promptly chides Chris for nearly drowning the flowers with his careless handling of the hose that he inadvertently blocked himself.
- Meet the Robinsons has a variant: Lewis is lost in thought about his latest invention, and his roommate, Goob, tries to snap him out of it with an air horn, only to accidentally blow it in his own face. (It gets Lewis' notice, at least.)
- Possibly the first visual gag ever recorded on film. An early Lumière brothers short, L'Arroseur Arrosé has a gardener inspecting his hose unaware that a boy is standing on it to cut off the water. After the inevitable drenching the gardener catches the boy and spanks him.
- In the Bob the Builder episode, "Mucky Muck", Bob steps on the hose when he turns it on to wash Scoop. Dizzy tells Bob that he's standing on the hose, but Bob doesn't listen to her. When he steps off, the hose squirts him.
- Subverted in The Care Bears: Adventure in Wonderland during the opening credits, where Bright Heart Raccoon is watering the flowers when the water stops. It turned out that Lotsa Heart Elephant had her foot on the hose which made the water stop, then she lifts her foot up again, causing the water to flow again. Bright Heart briefly looks in the hose before looking over to see Lotsa Heart walking away casually, just as the water then squirts out of the hose while Bright Heart was holding it away from himself.
- In the Classic Disney Short "Beezy Bear", beekeeper Donald Duck catches Humphrey Bear siphoning honey from his hives with a garden hose, so he connects the hose to a spigot, squeezes it until the water bulges up inside, and sends the bulge racing to Humphrey. Just then the ranger arrives and gives Donald back the hose, resulting in a game of Hot Potato that leaves all three soaked.
- The My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Putting Your Hoof Down" has "New" Fluttershy doing this to her gardener for overwatering her flowers.
- In the Rugrats episode, "Moose Country", Chuckie accidentally dislodges the valve to the Pickles family's garden hose while getting out of a hole he fell in, creating a geyser. This causes Boris' garden hose to stop flowing when he tries to fill his birdbath with water and another couple's fountain to stop flowing. When the valve lands on the switch that turns the Pickles family's water flow off, Boris gets sprayed by his garden hose, and the couple get sprayed by their fountain.
Boris: AAH! MINKA! MINKA! TURN THIS MASHUGANA THING OFF!
- The Simpsons:
- At the end of one episode, Bart does this to Homer several times, getting him in the eye, the ear, the other eye, etc.
- Another episode has Bart doing this to Principal Skinner in a home and garden show.