10 years ago, 24-year-old Ayako Katsuragi adopted her orphaned niece Miu, and raised her as her own daughter. Now, Miu's a high schooler, and often hangs out with the 20-year old Boy Next Door, Takumi "Takkun" Aterazawa, who's been a family friend since they were both kids. Ayako expects them to start going out, but is shocked when Takkun instead confesses his love to her.
You Like Me, Not My Daughter?!note (娘じゃなくて私が好きなの!?, Musume Janakute Mama ga Sukinano!?) is a Romantic Comedy Light Novel series written by Kota Nozomi and illustrated by Giugiu, which was published from 2019 to 2022 for seven volumes. It was also adapted as a manga illustrated by Tesshin Azuma, which began serialization in Manga Park in 2020. Seven Seas Entertainment announced that they would begin publishing the manga in English in November 2022.
Provides examples of:
- Always a Child to Parent: Ayako isn't Takkun's mom, but she still sees him as a child until the moment he confesses to her.
- Bland-Name Product: In a flashback in Chapter 10, Ayako and a young Takkun go to "Toy Zau Rus" to get a Christmas present for Miu.
- Bridal Carry: Takkun carries Ayako like this when she drinks too much and can't walk straight.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Ayako tries to convince Takkun she can't be with him because she drinks all the time, but he knows she almost never drinks, and thus doesn't know her limits.
- Caught in the Rain: A flashback chapter shows a 10 year-old Takkun getting locked out of his house and Ayako taking him into her house to dry his clothes and warm up in the bath.
- Caught the Heart on His Sleeve: When Takkun says he'll try to stop liking Ayako, she grabs his sleeve and tearfully begs him not to.
- Changing Yourself For Love: Takkun fell in love with Ayako when he was ten, and resolved to better himself to become a person worthy of her love, who could protect her and help her raise Miu. He spent the next decade eating a balanced diet, becoming fit (he started swimming because Ayako mentioned "guys who swim are cool"), studying hard, and tutoring Miu, only confessing once he was in college.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: Subverted. While in kindergarten, Miu made one with Takkun. By the time she is a teenager, having grown up together, she says that she simply cannot see him in a romantic way.
- Date Peepers: After Ayako rejects Takkun, Miu tells her that he already got a girlfriend and has a date that day, telling her exactly when and where to make sure she follows them. Takkun spots her almost immediately, but it turns out he was seeing a movie platonically with his Crossdressing friend Ringou Satoya.
- Funbag Airbag: An embarrassed 10 year-old Takkun tries running out of the bathroom to avoid being naked with Ayako, but slips on the soap and falls into her breasts.
- The Gadfly: Miu frequently goes out of her way to taunt or goad Ayako about her feelings for Takkun in order to make her mother confront them. She's gone so far as to tell Ayako her has a new girlfriend or even declare she's going to pursue Takkun herself if Ayako won't.
- Guilt Complex: Miu feels a lot of guilt for Ayako having to give up her life in order to raise her after the death of her parents. She deeply desires to see Ayako do something in her own selfish interest for once. To this end she frequently goads Ayako towards facing her feelings for Takkun.
- Ms. Fanservice: Ayako is beautifully drawn, and very well endowed in the breast and butt department, as we see in the bath scenes.
- Ms. Red Ink: Ayako attempts to invoke this to make Takkun stop being in love with her, but her common sense wins out, and she doesn't go through with buying a purse costing hundreds of thousands of yen.
- Nephewism: Ayako adopted Miu, her orphaned niece, when no one else in her family was interested in taking her in.
- Old Maid: Ayako considers herself this, as an unmarried 34-year-old woman. Takkun doesn't care.
- Please Dump Me: More like "please don't fall in love with me". Ayako tries several times to make herself look unattractive and irresponsible to Takkun, but he sees through her every time.
- Popping Buttons: Ayako's ample breasts cause the button (and then the safety pin she replaced it with) on her Love Kaiser costume to pop off.
- Precocious Crush: Takkun has had a crush on Ayako since he was a kid, but by now it's blossomed into real love.
- Romantic Spoonfeeding: When Takkun gets sick, Ayako takes care of him and feeds him rice porridge, even blowing on the spoon to cool it off.
- Sexy Santa Dress: In Chapter 9, Takkun has a fever dream of Ayako wearing one.
- Shipper on Deck:
- Miu is fully supportive of Takkun and her mom getting together, more so than Ayako herself. Takkun's parents are also supportive, as Takkun's feelings for Ayako prompted him to better himself throughout his life.
- At the start of the series, Ayako had fully expected and supported the idea that Takkun would get together with Miu. This is a big part of why Takkun's confession blindsides her so much. It's also the reason for the series's title.
- Show Within a Show: Ayako is obsessed with Love Kaiser, a Magical Girl anime series that she originally watched with Miu, but got more into it than her daughter, who lost interest as she got older. She wears a cosplay of her favorite character, Love Kaiser Solitaire, to try and convince Takkun that she's lame and he won't have fun with her, but he turns out to be a fan of the show too.
- Stacy's Mom: A smaller age gap than most, since Ayako was only 24 when she adopted Miu, and Takkun was 10 at the time.