Tourist Trap is a 1979 American Slasher Movie. It concerns a group of young adults who are stalked and killed by a mannequin-controlling telekinetic.
Not to be confused with the Original Character Tournament.
This film contains examples of:
- Big Bad: Mr. Slausen is the killer.
- Dead All Along: Mr. Slausen's brother Davey, whom we have been lead to believe is the killer for most of the film, was actually murdered by his brother, the true killer.
- Double-Meaning Title: Referencing the film's kitschy tourist attraction setting, and the fact that the tourists are trapped with the killer.
- Downer Ending: While the killer is taken down, the Final Girl is driven completely insane by the film's events, and drives away with the mannequins of her dead friends.
- Evil All Along: While he spends the first two-thirds of the film blaming the killings on his brother, seemingly kindly old man Mr. Slausen is the true killer.
- Fright Deathtrap: The killer kills one victim by covering her face in mannequin plastic, which makes her unable to breathe as it dries, and waits for her heart to burst from fear.
- Human Resources: The killer makes his mannequins by covering his victims' bodies in plastic.
- It Works Better with Bullets: When Slausen leaves Molly outside while he looks for the killer, the villain confronts her and she shoots him with a shotgun he left her, which turns out to be loaded with blanks. Immediately after, Slausen reveals that he was the killer all along.
- Malevolent Masked Men: The killer wears a Creepy Doll mask.
- Market-Based Title: Released theatrically in Britain (as a Double Feature with Phantasm) in 1982 as Nightmare Of Terror.
- Mind over Matter: The killer has telekinesis as his Weapon of Choice.
- Mummies at the Dinner Table: The killer acts like the mannequins he makes from his victims are a very large family, giving them voices via telepathy.
- Murderous Mannequin: The killer likes to torment his victims via his mannequins before killing them.
- My Car Hates Me: Our victim pool are trapped in a Closed Circle by their car breaking down. It's heavily implied that this was telepathically caused by the killer.
- The Place
- Sex Slave: The killer decides to make the Final Girl into one of these and keep her forever.
- Skinny Dipping: The only Fanservice in the film is one scene where the entire female cast swims naked in a woodland lake.
- Villain Opening Scene: The killer tormenting a guy who wanted to use his phone.