University graduate Annie (Johansson) gets a job as a nanny for the wealthy X's (Linney, Giamatti) when she saves their son Grayer's life; but she soon finds that her charge isn't getting all the love he should be from his parents...
A sequel to the book, Nanny Returns, has been written.
This work contains examples of:
- Black Best Friend: As played by Alicia Keys.
- Funny Background Event : While Mrs. X is on the phone with Annie, her yogi is calmly going through the positions while Grayer throws stuffed dinosaurs at him.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Annie's pink doggy-print panties.
- Gratuitous French: Annie is instructed to help Grayer with his French, so he can get into a college he's wait-listed for. At the age of four.
- Incredibly Obvious Bug: The camera in the teddy bear.
- Lighter and Softer: The movie ends on a happy note with most of the cast making an effort to improve themselves. The book, on the other hand, is followed by a sequel that depicts the X family stuck in a perpetual cycle of misery.
- Lonely Rich Kid: This is the trope that Grayer was and would be until Annie give out The Reason You Suck at Mrs. X.
- No Name Given: The family's surname is never revealed, and Chris Evans' character (our heroine's Love Interest) is known as "Harvard Hottie" until the end of the film. (Then again, in the novel, Annie was called "Nanny.")
- Oh, Crap!: Mrs. X has one of these when... well, see "The Reason You Suck" Speech below.
- Pants Pulling Prank: At one point Annie challenges Grayer to a race, only for him to respond by pantsing her in order to get a head-start. See Goofy Print Underwear above.
- Precision F-Strike: Annie, when telling off Harvard Hottie's jerk friends at the bar.
- Take it from me, guys, enjoy tonight because your future looks pretty fuckin' bleak!
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: After she's fired, Annie gives the X's one of these via nanny cam, telling them off for their terrible parenting skills with a detour to calling Mr. X out for being less interested in his own wife than in Annie's ass (which admittedly is understandable, this being Scarlett Johansson). But Mrs. X doesn't see it until after Annie's gone. And she sees it in public. Oh, Crap!.
- Security Blanket : Mr X's business card, to Grayer.
- Shout-Out: To Mary Poppins, several times. Obviously with the umbrella flight, less so with Annie's ringtone, the leitmotifs of Annie and Grayer, and the trip to Central Park.
- And unabashedly to Spongebob Squarepants.