In the aftermath of their parents' death, four siblings struggle to live on their own. They harbor some dark secrets, the least of which involves kidnapping people and keeping them in their basement before killing them. The youngest member of the family, Francis, begins to harbor doubts about his family's proclivities as he films them for a school project.
The film was part of the After Dark Horrorfest film festival.
A sequel, The Thompsons was released in 2012.
This film provides examples of:
- Beware the Nice Ones: David for the most part is fairly level-headed but when he gets angry, watch out.
- Creepy Basement: Where the Hamiltons keep their victims...and Lenny.
- The Ending Changes Everything: It completely turns your perception of the characters on its head.
- Fake Video Camera View: Via Francis's camcorder.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: David is the responsible one of the five while twins Wendell and Darlene are the ones always causing trouble.
- Gory Discretion Shot: The film's pretty bloody but the actual onscreen violence is minimal.
- Here We Go Again!: After relocating to a new town, the Hamiltons introduce themselves to their new neighbors as the Thompsons, implying that their way of living is going to start all over again.
- Hope Spot: Francis finally rescues the last surviving girl from his family, only for his vampiric urges to manifest.
- Jerkass: Even taking into consideration that they're vampires who need blood to survive, Wendell and Darlene have few redeeming qualities.
- Promoted to Parent: David finds himself with the responsibility of looking after the family after their parents' deaths.
- Twincest: Wendell and Darlene.
- Trailers Always Spoil: The trailer shows the very last shot of the film. Although it's only a spoiler in context.
- Our Vampires Are Different: They can walk around in sunlight, for starters.