The Thompsons is a horror film directed by the Butcher Brothers. It is a sequel to their previous film The Hamiltons.
On the run from the law, the vampire family the Hamiltons (now known as the Thompsons) heads to England to find an ancient vampire clan known as the Stuarts. Unbeknownst to the Hamiltons, the Stuarts have ulterior motives of their own.
This film provides examples of:
- Demoted to Extra: All of the Hamiltons except for Francis have considerably smaller roles this time around.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: It varies. Francis and David feast on innocent people to survive but aren't inherently malicious whereas Wendell and Darlene enjoy killing. The vampire members of the Stuarts are even more sinister in comparison.
- First-Episode Twist: The Hamiltons being vampires was a Tomato Surprise in the original film.
- In Medias Res: The beginning of the film is presented out of chronological order.
- Muggle Born of Mages: Riley Stuart comes from a vampire family but is not a vampire herself. She's also unable to be turned.
- Our Vampires Are Different: They age normally, can withstand sunlight and are also vulnerable to physical damage such shotgun blasts. Also, drinking vampire blood can heal wounds.