A group of Nazis are tasked with finding occult artifacts by Heinrich Himmler to aid in the war effort. They find just the thing in a talisman that brings gargoyles to life. Unfortunately for them, these gargoyles are not keen to serve humans, and begin slaughtering everything they see. Various allied planes are downed by the creatures, and the survivors are forced to stop the gargoyle menace to save themselves and everybody else.
This film provides examples of:
- Asshole Victim: Among the gargoyles' victims are a bunch of Nazis. It's later revealed that their master was first summoned to our plane to kill a bunch of Christians who persecuted a group of pagans.
- Big Bad: Vorthorn the Horned King, the god that controls the gargoyles.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Lieutenant Mueller is a ruthless Nazi out to capture the gargoyles for his side's ends, and is willing to murder children to do so, but it's made very clear that the gargoyles are more dangerous.
- Disney Villain Death: After Volthron is stabbed with the Spear of Destiny, he and all his gargoyles turn to stone and start plummeting to the Earth.
- Event Title
- Generic Doomsday Villain: Volthorn the Horned King, a god summoned by pagans to avenge their persecution who betrayed them and went on a rampage with his gargoyles for no reason.
- Ghostapo: The secondary antagonists are SS agents working for Himmler to find occult secrets for the war effort. The Thule Society is even name-dropped.
- Greater-Scope Paragon: The unit of soldiers we follow are under the command of Dwight D. Eisenhower, but he's only referenced once or twice and has nothing to do with the plot.
- Greater-Scope Villain: The Nazis who summon the gargoyles are under Heinrich Himmler's direction, but he doesn't show up.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: Christmas.
- Precursor Hero: The gargoyles were defeated in medieval times by an unnamed knight, who was entombed with the spear that he used to defeat Volthorn.
- Predecessor Villain: Volthorn was initially summoned to destroy religious persecutors, but came to betray the people he was supposed to protect.
- Our Gargoyles Rock: These are stone statues brought to life by a mad god to kill in his name. They have no will but their master's, but can be destroyed by conventional weaponry.
- The Sociopath: Lieutenant Mueller, a coldhearted Nazi who doesn't even blink at the thought of killing children as an interrogation tactic.
- The Spear of Destiny: Our heroes have to find it to stop the gargoyles' master, who is a pagan god.
- Villain Opening Scene: The Nazis summoning the gargoyles, who promptly massacre them and escape to kill more people.
- The X of Y