Adventures in Dinosaur City is a 1991 film that features Live Action and a small amount of Animation.
The film involves a trio of teenagers, Timmy, Jamie and Mick, who enjoy watching their favorite TV show (the titular "Adventures in Dinosaur City") which features anthropomorphic dinosaurs. Wanting to watch it on a better screen, Timmy, the youngest of the three, suggests that they try watching it on his parents screen in his laboratory.
The moment they turn it on however, a vortex sucks the three into the TV screen, and into their favorite television show. Upon entering the new world, the trio comes across a flightless Dimorphodon named Forry as well as an anthro Tyrannosaurus and Protoceratops named Rex and Tops, Rex and Tops being freedom fighters battling against the dictator, Mr. Big, and his caveman henchmen, "The Rockies".
Compare to Theodore Rex for oddness and similar special effects.
- Animated Credits Opening: Not the actual film, but the movie within the movie.
- City of Adventure: Dinosaur City as well as Tar Town.
- Collapsing Lair
- Darth Vader Clone: The film's Big Bad Mr. Big, who has the distinction of being an anthropomorphic Dinosaur version of this.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: This maybe one of the more notable exceptions, depending on your tastes.
- Fantastic Racism: The anthropomorphic Dinosaur's don't always get along well with the humans/cave people much, apparently just because.
- Handy Remote Control: The TV remote the kids accidentally brought with them to Dinosaur City. It has the power over the universe that exists within the show. Such as being able to force the Rockies to "pause".
- HeelFace Turn: Some of the Rockies reform just before the end of the film.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Rex's father sabotages Mr. Big's lair, even if he knows it'll kill him.
- Hollywood Science: Remember kids, Never try to watch your movies on your scientist father's TV screen in his laboratory. Or an inter-dimensional vortex could suck you into the TV, and another reality.
- Informed Species: Tops vaguely resembles an actual Protoceratops. While he has a beaked head, his frill looks bizarre, fitting more for a Chasmosaurus, along with having a nose horn, despite Protoceratops being well known for not having any horns.
- Killed Off for Real: Rex's father when the evil lair crumples around him due to his sabotage.
- Mooks: The creatively named, "Rockies".
- People in Rubber Suits: Many in the cast actually.
- Starring Special Effects
- Smitten Teenage Girl: Jamie seems rather taken with Mick.
- Take That!: The movie's tagline:
- Trapped in Another World: See: Trapped in TV Land
- Trapped in TV Land: The kids efforts to watch their favorite show on the best picture possible end up getting the kids trapped inside the show.
- They Fight Crime!: Rex and Tops
- Tyrannosaurus rex: Guess who?