The holidays are getting stressful for overwhelmed moms Amy, Carla and Kiki when their mothers visit for the holidays, Amy celebrates a simple Christmas with Jesse and their kids until her mom Ruth (Christine Baranski) controls every aspect and takes over Christmas, Kiki's mom Sandy (Cheryl Hines) is clingy and oversteps her boundaries and Carla's mom Isis (Susan Sarandon), whom she hasn't seen in years, is between jobs but wants to spend time with her nonetheless. Amy, Kiki and Carla vow to take Christmas back for themselves.
This movie contains these tropes
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: The moms of the main trio. Ruth annoys Amy by being a critical and perfectionist show-off, Kiki gets downright irked at Sandy being overwhelming and smothering, and Carla... well, she doesn't care that mom Isis is a hedonist like herself, but only that she never comes unless it's to get money for gambling.
- Badass Creed: "Take Christmas back!"
- Chippendales Dancers: Ty, who falls in love with Carla.
- Demoted to Extra: Gwendolyn, Stacy and Vicki only appear in one scene where Amy is forced by her mother to go caroling... dressed as Scrooge!
- Dueling Movies: Along with Daddy's Home 2, both films being sequels set during Christmas.
- Freudian Excuse: This movie introduces the three mothers of the main trio, and it's clear why they started the original like that: Amy tried too hard for growing up with a Control Freak (who in turn, was also treated like that by her mother), Kiki only cared for her children because her mother was overbearing, and Carla is a neglectful hedonist because mom is the same way.
- From the Mouths of Babes: Jane has grown quite the potty mouth.
- How We Got Here: The movie starts with Amy stating in a voice-over that she feels responsible for turning Christmas into a disaster and flashing back to the last week before Christmas with a dejected Amy amidst destroyed decoration, claiming to have ruined Christmas. Eventually it gets there, a lavish party thrown by Amy's mom behind her back which leads Amy to fight her, expel her and make her kids sad that after driving daddy away, Amy is now doing the same with grandma.
- My Beloved Smother:
- Sandy literally babies Kiki and meddles in Kiki's marriage.
- Amy's mom Ruth insults her Christmas decorations, overindulges her grandkids and acts rudely towards her son-in-law Jesse.
- Real Person Cameo: Kenny G appears as himself.
- The Shrink: In the sequel, Kiki goes to one with her mother Sandy, complaining that her attempts at being close to her daughter are downright invasive.
- Teen Pregnancy: Sandy claims that she was 18 when Kiki was born.