James Wan (born 27 February 1977) is a Malaysian-born Australian film director, screenwriter and producer.
He first specialized in the horror genre before branching out on high budget action/adventure films. In January 2019, he became the second director (other being James Cameron) to have two movies gross a billion dollars from different franchises: Furious 7 and Aquaman. He's also a prominent producer/executive producer at New Line Cinema.
- Stygian (2000)
- Saw (2004) (executive producer on all future installments)
- Dead Silence (2007)
- Death Sentence (2007)
- Insidious (2010) (producer on all films after Chapter 2)
- Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013)
- The Conjuring Universe (producer on all installments except the first film)
- Furious 7 (2015)
- DC Extended Universe
- Aquaman (2018)
- Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2022)
- Mortal Kombat (2021) (producer)
- Malignant (2021)
- Author Phobia: Dolls and puppets show up in his more notable films.
- Creator's Oddball: As noted on that page, Wan got his start on low-budget but profitable horror films before expanding to big-budget action/adventure blockbusters.
- Furious 7 (2015): His highest-grossing film to date that relies heavily on Cool Cars, Car Fu, Stuff Blowing Up, and Rule of Cool above all else.
- Aquaman (2018): His second highest-grossing film to date that tackles the Superhero Genre with Narm Charm and enough Visual Effects of Awesome to spare.
- Mortal Kombat (2021): A Supernatural Martial Arts film based on a very popular video game franchise of the same name that is Bloodier and Gorier than the previous film adaptation with extra buckets of Gorn to boot.
- Creator Thumbprint:
- Production Posse: Of his six films in The New '10s, all but one featured Patrick Wilson. Wan has also produced several more of Wilsons films, including his upcoming directorial debut Insidious 5.