Played By: Brittany Snow
A senior in high school whose family was killed three years before by one of her teachers.
Robert Noel "Bobby" Jones
Played By: Scott Porter
Played By: Johnathon Schaech
An ex-teacher with a sexual interest in Donna. He breaks out three days before the film starts to get to Donna again.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Donna obviously does not want to return any of his affections after the way he massacred her family. It's more than likely he was already this prior to their deaths because of his rampant stalking.
- Asshole Victim: You won't shed tears for this Ephebophile when Winn empties his pistol into him.
- Ax-Crazy: Shows both sides of the coin. In the beginning of the film he is the more angry, Hair-Trigger Temper type, but in the present day he's more calm and measured while still extremely dangerous to someone in the same room as him.
- Beard of Evil: While in prison Fenton had a moderately long beard, which he shaved to Perma-Stubble.
- Beardness Protection Program: Pulls this off when breaking out of prison.
- Big Bad: The central antagonist of the film. His sexual interest in Donna led to him murdering her family, and his escape and rampage through her prom is the focus of the film's plot.
- Composite Character: With Leonard Murch and Alex Hammond from the original. Murch was the sex offender who escaped from prison early in the film, Alex is the killer at the prom. These two become combined with Richard Fenton, the Ephebophile who escapes from prison and attacks the prom.
- Contrasting Sequel Antagonist: More like Contrasting Remake Antagonist, primarily with Alex Hammond from the original. While Alex was a young teenager with no attractions (he's noted for being the only main character going without a date), Fenton is a full-grown man and Ephebophile. Alex is varied in his methods by using shards of glass and axe while Fenton mainly uses a knife. Alex is driven to murder the teenagers because they wronged him by killing his sister and won't kill anyone he doesn't have to, none of the teenagers did anything wrong to Fenton outside of knowing Donna.
- Cop Killer: Has no problem killing cops if they get in his way. Just ask Detective Nash and a Red Shirt stationed at Uncle Jack and Aunt Karen's house.
- Entitled Bastard: At his trial, Fenton insisted that Donna belonged to him and that he'd return for her.
- Evil is Petty: He murdered Bobby because he was Donna's boyfriend. He even erased a picture of Donna and Bobby from Claire's phone after killing her.
- Evil Teacher: A teacher with a pedophilic interest in one of his students and slaughters several of his ex-students? Yeah he's evil.
- For the Evulz: Murders his sleeping cell-mate before breaking out for seemingly no reason.
- If I Can't Have You…: Tries to kill Donna when she resists his attempts to kidnap her.
- Important Haircut: After escaping from prison he gives himself a haircut and shaves his beard to Perma-Stubble to disguise himself.
- Kick the Dog: Most of his actions really. It's hard to place where he doesn't Kick the Dog.
- Kill and Replace: Murders a guy known as Howard Ramsey and takes his identity to sneak into the hotel. Later on he kills a bellhop and uses that disguise to escape the hotel.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: An extreme variation; his motivation in the present day is to kill everyone Donna knows so that the only person she has left in her life is him.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: The only thing Fenton uses to disguise himself is a shave down to Perma-Stubble and a black baseball cap.
- Psycho Knife Nut: A vicious pedophile who uses a knife as his main weapon.
- The Sociopath: A higher-functioning version, but just enough to show that there is something very wrong about him. Shallow affect? Check. Manipulative Bastard? Convinced a jury that he wasn't mentally fit to be executed. Need for stimulation? Commits murders (including those of children) at the drop of a hat, oftentimes just because Donna knows them. An extreme sense of self-worth? He thinks that he should be the only person in Donna's life.
- Stalker with a Crush: Dear lord. He'll stop at nothing to have his fun with Donna: getting fired, receiving a restraining order, murdering her family breaking out of prison, carving up her classmates.
- Stupid Evil: At first. He left plenty of evidence at Donna's house when he came for her in the opening; if it wasn't for the jury thinking he was insane he would have been executed by now. In the present day events however he's much more cautious and methodical, murdering hotel staff first to attain access to the rooms, and ambushing students one-by-one, constantly hiding bodies to avoid detection.
- Villainous Crush: The entire plot is put into motion by Fenton's lust for Donna.
- Would Hurt a Child: He murdered Donna's little brother in the opening.
Played By: Idris Elba
The officer who caught Fenton three years ago and winds up having to foil him again.
- Big Damn Heroes: Manages to reach Donna and kill Fenton at the climax.
- Only Sane Man: For the police. He is furious when he learns that Fenton escaped three days previously and nobody told him. He may even be this for the entire town as he's the only adult who's not caught up in the pre-prom hype, focusing instead on trying to ensure Donna's safety.