It is created by Gen Urobuchi. There are so many epic awesome moments.
WARNING: Unmarked spoilers ahead, please self-advise. Various tropes here contain major plot spoilers!
List the examples in a chronological order, if possible.
- Tan Hi's brother, Tan Kou is quite powerful. He was almost able to kill the Starter Villain, Zan Kyou, if Betsu Ten Gai didn't interfere. Even against Betsu Ten Gai, he's able to make a powerful barrier that VAPORIZED all of the mooks while giving time for his sister to run. Very Heroic Sacrifice indeed.
- Syou Fu Kan is indeed a badass. When he interferes with the Onyx Demons that were chasing after Tan Hi, he swiftly dodges all of their attacks and takes them on WITH AN UMBRELLA. And that's not before he pulls out his sword. When he's forced to fight Zan Kyou by Lin Setsu A, he's able to dodge his Signature Move (Dry Bones Blood Slash) while countering it by breaking his sword.
- How the sword was broken deserves mention. Sho's finishing move has him run past Zan Kyou while striking Zan Kyou's sword with his own. The sword leaves Syou Fu Kan's hand and spins around Zan Kyou's sword to his bewilderment. The sword is thrust back into Syou Fu Kan's hand, where Zan Kyou's sword snaps apart as Sho sheaths his sword for the final blow.
Episode 2: Attack of the Genkishu!
- We are introduced to the Syu Un Syou (also known as the Keen-Eyed Sharpshooter), who manages to one-shot all of Ryou Mi's mooks AND almost manages to kill her until she escapes.
- in greater detail, Syu Un Syou waits until Ryou Mi has him surrounded, then fires three arrows into the sky, one for each person he is fighting. In the time between their launch and their descent, he proceeds to CQC the crap out of everyone on screen, positioning each foe to be killed by a descending arrow. Ryou Mi only escapes because she's weaker than he had anticipated, leading to Syu Un Syou inadvertently pushing her out of the way of his arrow, when he was expecting her to regain her footing just in time for the arrow to land. Hardcore.
Episode 6: Seven Comrades
- The group manages to demonstrate a great example of teamwork against the Onyx Demons.
- Ken rushes and takes down a bunch of mooks.
- To get some extra reinforcements, Syu Un Syou shoots a bunch of talismans at the recently dead corpses of the mooks while Kei Gai uses her necromancy to get them to fight against the other mooks.
- Once enough of them are gone, the Roaring Phoenix Execution uses the Meteor Walk to fight both Ryou Mi and Chou Mei. To show how powerful he is, he swiftly finishes off Ryou Mi without a sweat. If it wasn't for the interference of Betsu Ten Gai, Chou Mei would've been slaughtered as well.
- "Now...which of you would like to die first? If you can't decide...Allow me to make it simultaneous for you."
Episode 7: Demon Spine Mountains
- Syou Fu Kan basically carries the load for the other team while taking on the first two trials of the Demon Spine Mountains. It was revealed that they were testing his capabilities.
- The zombies of the Valley of the Dead No-Sell Kei Gai's singing, so she has to come up with a different tune. However, Syou Fu Kan ended up being outside of a protective barrier, so he has to end up fighting all of the zombies off. He ends up destroying all but one of the zombies, which ends up getting destroyed by Kei Gai successfully finding the correct tune.
- The second trial is at the Valley of the Doll. Syu Un Syou's archery skills were intended for this trial, but unfortunately he misses the really small weakpoint. Syou Fu Kan ends up being the one to distract the golem, but he ends up taking matters in his own hands and RUNS UP THE GOLEM AND STABS ITS WEAKPOINT. Fortunately, Syu Un Syou ends up saving his life.
Episode 8: The Enigmatic Gale
- After finally getting to the Seven Sins Tower, Tan Hi, Syou Fu Kan, and Lin Setsu A are surrounded by the Onyx Demons. Tan Hi confronts Betsu Ten Gai boldly and gets to fight him on a 1-on-1 battle to the death. She's able to easily take advantage of him and it almost seems like she's got the edge until it's revealed that she probably wouldn't have been powerful enough to face him alone. Instead, Lin Setsu A tricked her into fighting Syou Fu Kan by making her perceive him as Betsu Ten Gai, similar to a trick he used on Zan Kyou. The music in the scene was also very emotional.
- Lin Setsu A deserves one as well ... along with revealing how dangerous he really is. He uses an illusion to fool Tan Hi, putting the Onyx Demons in a big advantage. He even fools Betsu Ten Gai after betraying both Tan Hi and Syou Fu Kan. Betsu Ten Gai is given the guard of the Tengyouken, but Betsu Ten Gai notices how the sword part is fake, and praises Lin Setsu A for it.
- The rest of the group deserve an Offscreen Moment of Awesome. It seems grave when Syou Fu Kan and Tan Hi are trapped in cages, but they come in and plan on rescuing the two along with explaining the motives of Lin Setsu A (they thought Syou Fu Kan was working for him).
- A Creepy Awesome moment, but Lin Setsu A's poem shortly after his true nature is revealed is done very well, especially with the voice. It definitely says that he's bad news.
Episode 9: The Essence of a Sword
- Setsu Mu Syou's incredibly fast, incredibly deadly match with Betsu Ten Gai, and the absolute slaughter he put the latter's Mooks through up to that point.
- "The duel shall last eight... no, nine moves!"
- Those who remember his mental simulations of his "fight" with Syou Fu Kan might be surprised that he immediately knew that he would lose, but Setsu Mu Syou is a master swordsman, and is able to judge his foes by instinct alone to determine if they're actually worthy of dying by his swords. One look at Betsu Ten Gai was enough for him to realize the fruitlessness of his efforts, but he did it anyway, just to see if he could. He wasn't even disappointed with the outcome.
- "The duel shall last eight... no, nine moves!"
- Syou Fu Kan's words to Tan Hi (who just suffered from Heroic BSoD) is pretty impressive in itself."There are many people who got cheated for being righteous. It is okay to regret for being cheated, but do not regret being a righteous person."
Episode 10: A Thief's Pride
- Setsu Mu Syou's rampage through the tower is shown in graceful, effortless, and purely brutal efficiency.
- The reveal of the Xanatos Speed Chess between Lin Setsu A and Betsu Ten Gai over Tengyouken's guard. It's just two brilliant chessmasters trying to out-gambit one another to secure the MacGuffin.
Episode 11: A Proud Life
- Ken San Un's newfound determination and goal in life is truly admirable."True pride is something you trade your life for! When you said that, it really struck a chord with me! You made it clear to me; in order to die a proud death someday, I can't live in a way I'd be ashamed of!"
- "People may ridicule my noble ideals as fantasy and naïve, but with determination and effort I shall reach my soaring ambitions. I will have no regrets disdaining fleeting glory even when my hour comes."
Episode 12: A Blade That Doesn't Cut
- Syou Fu Kan decides to get serious against the pursuers and utterly curbstomps Chou Mei and others......with a branch. And let's just say it doesn't end well for the Onyx Demons.Syou Fu Kan: (to Chou Mei) "You need to stop making dumb assumptions. See, I was never using a sword in the first place. Did you think only sharpened metal could form an edge?! Don't presume so much, boy! If you channel the right force into it, then hair and cloth can split flesh and shatter bone!"
- What makes this especially badass is that while he's saying this, he is decapitating one of the Onyx Demons with his goddamn sleeve!
Episode 13: A New Duty
- After Lin Setsu A beats Betsu Ten Gai in a sword duel (not an easy fest in itself), does the later cower in such losses? HELL NO. He destroys the Tengyouken, killing himself with its shards while laughing, thus setting You Ja Rei free from its bounds and let it destroy the world as it likes, essentially denying Lin Setsu A his victory as expected. It also means, for once, Lin Setsu A lost.
- Hell, Syou Fu Kan manages to defeat the Bigger Bad all by himself. How, you ask? He banishes the demon to outer space with one of 36 legendary swords he has at his disposal.
- The final revealing of Syou Fu Kan's soliloquy is as epic as any battle in the series.
- An off-scene moment on how Rou Fu You, Katsu Eiraku and Syou Kyou Ken somehow manages to across the Wasteland of Spirits from Xi-You to Dong-Li without being harm.
- Rou Fu You makes a Big Damn Heroes moment where he arrives just in time to saves Syou Fu Kan from Katsu before she can use the Sorcerous Sword Index on him.
Episode 5: Hellfire Valley
- The mighty dragon of the Wasteland of Spirits, Death King, is defeated by Rou Fu You using his enchanted voice to sing the show's opening.
Episode 8: The Song That Dooms Evil
- Rou Fu You manages to overwhelm Katsu Eiraku a while wielding the Seven Blasphemous Deaths without opening his eyes. He almost have defeated her if Syou Kyou Ken and Lin Setsu A haven't interfere with their battle.
Episode 11: The Dignity of Evil
- Rou Fu You's duel against Rou Shin Kai. Despite he also need to shut his eyes like fighting against Katsu Eiraku, he still fights pretty well, until Rou Shin Kai tricks his hearings and cuts him, forcing Rou Fu You to retreat.
Episode 12: The Hunting Fox
- Syou Kyou Ken gets a villainous one against Rou Fu You when he purposefully throw Night of Mourning to him and used the controlled puppets to do a reverse-Shoot the Hostage Taker, heavily injures Rou Fu You...
Episode 13: A Bizarre, bloodstained Ballad
- Syo Fu Kan, Rou Fu You and Lin Setsu A's Gambit Pileup just to disarm Rou Shin Kai and get the Seven Blasphemous Deaths away from him in the final battle.
- Hell, the entire fight itself is one long CMOA. It's the first time in the series when Syo fights against a foe with almost all of his potential, and even after Lin joined the fight Rou Shin Kai still has an upper hand. It's when they pulled out their agreed trick (with Rou Fu You's help) to turn the table.
- In manga rather than leaving Syou Fu Kan alone, Syu Un Syou intends to kill him. Syou Fu Kan surprisingly manages to reflect his arrows and dodge it. He thinks it was just dumb luck.
- In the manga adaption, Ken San Un was given extended fight scene against the Mooks.
- At the end of the chapter, Syou Fu Kan saves Tan Hi in the nick of time and manages to block Betsu Ten Gai's attack.
- In the manga, Syou Fu Kan managed to block Chou Mei's and kill four Mooks with one strike with a stick.
- In the manga adaption, Betsu Ten Gai destroyed a demon bird with one hand after Lin Setsu A damage a piece off of his bone-whistle.
- Syou Fu Kan's final battle against You Ja Rei is different in the manga adaption.
- In the manga, Syou Fu Kan pretends to be defeated by You Ja Rei after it throws him up in the air and used one of 36 legendary swords in close range and seal it once more. It was very epic.
- Luckily, Lin, Tan Hi, and Ken were in the area and they manage to catches Sho from falling.