Even if it is a generally panned game, it does have awesome moments.
From the game proper
- The first time we see Sonic, he jumps in the middle of Eggman's drones as they attempt to kidnap Elise and uses his super speed to blow out the fire surrounding them, introduces himself to the Princess whilst waiting for Eggman to order his robots to attack, before leaping out of the line of fire and destroying all the machines bar one in less than two seconds. And the one Sonic leaves? Well, he stops right in front of it, waits for a moment, before simply poking it with his foot and causing it to fall off a broken bridge.Sonic: (strikes a pose as he introduces himself) My that's a pretty snazzy performance, there!
- And then in his ending, Sonic has to get Elise off Eggman's latest airship as it explodes. Cue Sonic carrying Elise, as he runs and jumps to different parts of the airship as the damn thing explodes all around them.
- In Shadow's ending, Mephiles tries to get Shadow to make a FaceHeel Turn, but Shadow then declares that no matter what, he will keep fighting. At which point, Mephiles creates an army of clones of himself, before having them attack Shadow. Shadow removes his bracelets to unleash his full power, before proceeding to fight through the clones. The intro to the game's Last Story shows that he makes quick work of them.Shadow: "If the world chooses to become my enemy, then I will fight like I always have!"
- The scene following Shadow's battle with Silver. Just as Silver tries to strike him one more time, Shadow slows time down using Chaos Control, casually walks around Silver, and roundhouse kicks him in the back of the head.
- The cutscene prior to this battle. Silver attacks Sonic again and is about to kill him. Cue Shadow arriving. He saves Sonic, pulling a Vegeta, and offhandedly glances at him to say; "I got this." Sonic gives him a thumbs up in gratitude and leaves after Eggman. It really shows the respect that the two have for each other.
- After Eggman reveals the totality of his plans to Elise, she says she'd rather die than be his prisoner again and backs off the ship, fully intending to sacrifice herself so he won't succeed. Later, she only surrenders to him when he threatens to destroy Soleanna if she refuses.
- Mephiles killing Sonic. This is a hedgehog that has survived gods, Humongous Mecha, the prototype Ultimate Life Form, and being spaced. It has to count for something since Eggman has tried and failed at every occasion.
- Silver gets one too, in the final boss battle; Iblis has a desperation attack where he throws a giant meteor at you that destroys the platform if it hits, making you plummet to your death. What does Silver do, provided you time it right? He doesn't even flinch, stopping the meteor in midair and flinging it back at Iblis.
- Timing, nothing. All you need is the same ol' telekinesis you've been using to catch projectiles for the entire game. It doesn't even take up much more of your Action Gauge.
- Sonic, Shadow, and Silver take down Solaris, a sun god.Super Sonic: The present day. The here and now that you've stolen? Time to take it back!
- The cutscene before the first Mephiles boss fight, where he tells Shadow that humanity fears him, and that they will eventually turn on him, and then offers Shadow his... symbolically posed body as proof, and Shadow has a large Screw Destiny moment, and then Mephiles then transforms from a black and white, green eyed, mouth-less version of Shadow to an Eldritch Abomination.Shadow: "I determine my own destiny."
- The end of Sonic's version of Kingdom Valley. Yes, it's a Mach Speed segment and it's hard as hell, but it looks fantastic. Running though what can only be described as a giant half-pipe formed by an upside down waterfall, with segments of ancient ruined castle forming a path through. Notable parts include running on the waterfall, jumping from perch to perch, and the amazing music. For a short time, the game works and it is glorious. This level also seems to be a magnet for Lets Player's own awesome moments, as proven by pokecapn's group and the Grumps.
- It's so awesome, in fact, that this very segment in an earlier stage in development was the very first thing the public eye ever saw of this game.
- Amy Rose, of all characters, gets one. Just as Silver's about to finish Sonic off in Soleanna, Amy leaps between Sonic and Silver read: a 12-year-old girl stands up to a powerful, difficult hedgehog with Psychic Powers, who, as described above, caught a giant meteor-sized fireball in midair and can throw live missiles and giant robots around as easily as sofa cushions to protect Sonic and make sure he can go to save Elise. It's also this very action that causes Silver to start questioning his mission for the first time.
- The game may be delisted by SEGA, and officially considered an Old Shame in memory for everyone, but the fans haven't forgotten. In lieu of there never being an official port to PC (even though one was allegedly planned at some point back in the day), a full blown Fan Remake Sonic P-06 using the Unity engine has been going down to not only recreate most of the game tit-for-tat, but also tweak and improve upon several things and ease its biggest flaws. The results include fast loading, smoother framerates across the board, Sonic actually having a real sense of speed and momentum instead of his incredibly slow, stiff, and awkward gameplay in the original title, new abilities for everyone with plenty of references to other games in the seriesnote , much faster, tighter and more fluid controls for all characters so farnote and even graphical improvements over the original game. While so far, it's only had Sonic's stages to show for its progress, pretty much everything from those stages is near 1:1 besides the gameplay tweaks, and greatly improved upon otherwise. Much like with members of the fanbase making one of the best-selling titles in recent history with Sonic Mania, the fans have shown an impressive appreciation and dedication for such an infamous game; and really just goes to show exactly how much potential Sonic '06 could have had if not for being Christmas Rushed.
- There's also the Legacy of Solaris Game Mod. A game hack of the title, it works to change various character functions and controls to play more smoothly (Silver can actually fly instead of do piddly dashes and gliding, while Knuckles and Amy go from being nigh unplayable to breaking stages and annihilating groups of enemies), gave all of the partner characters their own mini-versions of the main campaigns for some spotlight, and various fixes and tweaks. It's still Sonic '06, of course, but the potential for the hack to make the game at least somewhat bearable is there. They set out to try to fix the game and improve opinions on it and they've done a solid job so far in the fixing part at least, though the inevitable, underlying jank will be hard to tackle.