Despite being considered one of the worst games in its series, Sonic '06 has quite a few of them, despite people looking at it as melodramatic.
From the game proper
- When Sonic and Tails reach Elise, Tails leans out from behind Sonic and cheerfully waves at Elise. That's just adorable.
- The moment where Amy rescues Sonic from being killed by Silver after their fight — and letting him escape to save Elise — by leaping in front of the telekinetic hedgehog to stop him. Afterward, Sonic takes the time to respectfully express his gratitude to her before fleeing, showing just how much the two actually care for each other deep down despite the latter's Stalker with a Crush tendencies.Sonic: (sincerely, with a thumbs-up) Thanks, Amy... I appreciate it.
- Thanks to Sonic, Elise opens up and expresses herself as the game progresses. The times when she genuinely smiles are heartwarming to see.
- Amy showing that she's serious about her love for Sonic. "If I had to choose between the world and Sonic, I would choose SONIC!" Elise has a similar line towards the end of the game.
- Shadow is the second character to save Sonic from being killed by Silver, followed with Shadow glancing back to make sure Sonic's okay, and for Sonic giving him a thumbs up in gratitude before leaving after Eggman. It shows the mutual respect the two rivals have for one other, and they're never arguing like they used to.
- There's also the scene where Sonic shows no hard feelings for Silver for trying to kill him in their previous meetings, although this is after Silver explained that there was a misunderstanding. This also counts as one of the instances where Sonic shows forgiveness to a former enemy/rival.
- The beach scene with Team Dark really shows how tight-knit a group they are. This exchange in particular, after Shadow learns that Omega would eventually be forced to imprison him in the future due to Iblis being released, counts for something, no matter if you see this as a Ship Tease or Friendship Moment.Rouge: Even if you believe that the whole world will be against you... know that I'll always remain by your side. Remember that.
Shadow: (stops walking away briefly and looks over his shoulder at Rouge) ...I will.
- As Omega guns him down, Mephiles reveals Omega's role in Shadow's future imprisonment. An outraged Omega retorts by blitzing Mephiles with much heavier gunfire from his gatling cannons, forcing him to retreat. Clearly, for his reputation as a stoic Blood Knight, the robot's loyalty to his friends knows no bounds.
- Sonic and Elise's reunion just before he fights the Egg Wyvern.
- When Elise revives Sonic, it's followed by a heartfelt thanks from Sonic. In the Japanese version, throughout the game, Sonic usually says "Thanks" in English. He doesn't here.
- The final cutscene. After Sonic convinces Elise to blow out the flame that eventually will become Solaris — supposedly guaranteeing that they would never have met and won't have any memory of each other whatsoever — Sonic arrives at the festival we see at the beginning of the game. He causes a wind to blow past Elise as he's running, and she shows a sign that she might still remember Sonic after all. This is followed by a shot of Sonic fondly smiling down at Elise from afar, giving us the freedom to believe that Sonic remembers Elise, too.
- The Trial Of Love. You are given a choice between Amy and Elise, and should you choose Amy, the guy who gives you the trial will say, "So, I see you have chosen your long time love." They Really Do Love Each Other.
- These quotes from the final boss battle:Sonic: (To Silver) Do you still have ring energy? Use the Y/Triangle Button to switch with me.
Silver: (To Shadow) Hey, you're running short on rings! Use the Y/Triangle Button to switch with me.
Shadow: (To Sonic) Are you ok? Use the Y/Triangle Button to switch with me.
- While Sonic/Silver are concerned that Silver/Shadow are running low on rings, Shadow is concerned if Sonic's ok. That's quite a lot coming from someone who considers Sonic to be his arch rival.
- Shadow working for G.U.N. can be this; after the events of Sonic Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog, it's nice to see that not only did they offer an opening for Shadow to join, but that he accepted it. Glad to see they can both let bygones be bygones.
- The cinematic scenes with Sonic and Princess Elise are actually quite sweet, especially when she bandages Sonic's arm after it was hurt, Sonic encouraging Elise to run and show her feelings, and when the two stop by a lake.
- Any scene with Silver and Blaze, not to mention Blaze's sacrifice at Silver's story mode ending.
- Any scene with Silver and Amy's budding friendship as well. Sadly, it goes south after Amy realizes that Silver only wanted to find Sonic to kill him; but when you fight Solaris Phase 2 as Super Silver, Amy will cheer on Silver. It heavily hints at her respect for him being rebuilt after they learned that Mephiles deceived him.
From the Let's Play by pokecapn's posse
- Near the end, when Pokecapn really cannot withstand this game anymore, the other goons take over until he decides that he can, assigning themselves characters. Pretty much summed up with KFJ's exclamation of "Aah, teamwork!"
- From the determinator entry: "They keep persevering even in the face of That One Level, Sanity Slippage, and near-impossible-to-surmount brick walls like End of the World. Truly, the last video "Rest easy, heroes" is well-named."
- In the last episode, pokecapn contemplates quitting if they can't finish That One Level in their next two tries. What follows is three voices simultaneously yelling "No!"
- When The End of the World is finally beaten, and the emotionally-exhausted posse is regaining hope:pokecapn: (wailing) I said, "do you speak-a my language?"
- Heartwarming in Hindsight: With knowledge of this LP, their newer Let's Play of Sonic Colors becomes way more heartwarming than it has right to be. Angrish and serial cursing have been replaced with joyous laughter and declarations of "This game is so good!"
- When the game is finally over, the four remaining members of the group read through the end credits in order to find out whose "fault" the game was. Many vocal critics of the game tend to be irrational when talking about it, bashing every little aspect and calling for the heads of everyone working at Sonic Team or Sega in general, but the gang makes an honest effort to discern between those who should and shouldn't be blamed for the poor quality of the game, and they even pity the team members who had to make tough decisions and deal with pressure from those who were truly at fault during production. It also showed that the "healing" had already begun; despite all the angry shouting and apparent Sanity Slippage during their playtime, the crew were all still friends and able to make rational judgements without lashing out, which is more than you can say for most internet Sonic fans.So we can basically say that about 80% of the staff on this game are good people, and they did good work.
- In a nice change of pace from videos where people constantly rage at the game, Zero9teen streamed a 10-part Let's Play of the game on Twitch that was later uploaded to YouTube (the first part of which can be found here). This Let's Play is notable in that, despite Zero9teen recognizing the game's flaws and even snarking at it throughout, it is much more positive and forgiving, and never once does he actually get outright angry at it (though he does get annoyed a few times, particularly in the segments where you play as Shadow and Omega). In other words, yes, it is possible for someone to have fun with this game.
- Cygnus Destroyer also took an analysis of the game in his Innocent Until Proven Guilty series, having a far more optimistic opinion of the story and ambition of the project (though he still found the super speed sections and glitches frustrating). In the end, his verdict of the game was Innocent. Really says something about a person's attitude when they can stomach such an infamous game.