Theres more to a can than you think!
Created by Vooz, the same Korean company that brought you Pucca, Canimals revolves around a bunch of cute animals with cans for their bodies. They love to play with the environment around them, often times hiding in their cans from humans.
The series consists of computer animated critters running around in live action settings. Their numerous shorts usually revolves around Canimals playing around in various everyday objects and places. They tend to focus on six particular members: Mimi, Oz, Ato, Uly, Fizzy, and Nia.
A fast-growing franchise, they have shown up on plushies, shirts, pillows, cups, and other merchandise. They have also shown up in apps for Android and iOS.
Tropes in the Canimals series:
- Badass Adorable: Seeing how the Canimals get around places much larger than they are may put you in awe.
- Bad Butt: Fizzy and Oz, the action loving kitties.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: Justified, as they're aliens from a distant planet.
- Big Eater: Uly will happily try to chomp down any food he sees without thinking twice.
- Cats Are Mean: Granted, the dogs can be just as mean.
- Chameleon Camouflage: Leon the chameleon can change color or make himself invisible at will.
- Circling Birdies: In "Chili Can Carnage", Fizzy temporarily gains circling stars above his head when he lands on the ground after grabbing a bunch of chili peppers hanging on the wall.
- Color-Coded Characters: The color and/or pattern on the can helps distinguish Canimals in their hiding state.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Nia may seem like an adorable kitty, despite her shyness, but if she's extremely frightened or angry, she will scream loud enough to blow anyone away.
- Cute Kitten: Half of the main Canimals are kittens.
- The Ditz: Ato and Uly, who are both dogs.
- Fire-Breathing Diner: In "Chili Can Carnage", Oz eats some chili peppers from a Mexican restaurant and promptly breathes fire onto a kebab, cooking it. She utilizes this to her advantage by forcing Koby the turtle, who has come with her, to eat the peppers and breathe the resulting fire onto some more kebabs; Koby does not take this treatment very kindly.
- Instant Bandages: Several times. For example, near the end of the episode "Super Can", Fizzy falls to the ground and suddenly gains a couple of bandages throughout his body from the collision.
- Iris Out: Every episode ends on one of these. The circle formed by the iris-out is sealed by a can lid suddenly appearing over it.
- Portmantitle: The show's title combines the words "can" and "animal".
- Precious Puppies: The other half of the main Canimals are puppies.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: The Canimals retreat into their can bodies when humans are around.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: There happens to be many more Canimals outside of the main cast including lions, skunks, and chameleons.
- Narcissist: Mimi is this to some extent.
- Naughty Is Good: The Canimals are curious little beings, yet they prank and steal from each other. Or they could be Chaotic Neutral considering their deeds.
- One-Word Title: Canimals is only one word.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Its quite surprising to see such tiny critters push around step ladders.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Every single Canimal is absolutely adorable.
- Right Under Their Noses: See Hidden in Plain Sight.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: The animated Canimals appear in live-action environments, sometimes alongside live-action humans.
- Shout-Out: One episode is called "Can Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".
- Skyward Scream: Toki does one in "Toki in Love" when the can with the female rabbit on it falls off the countertop.
- Super-Deformed: The Canimals consists of big heads and small can bodies.
- Superheroes Wear Capes: Fizzy dons a cape when he becomes a superhero in "Super Can".
- Visible Invisibility: When Leon makes himself invisible, he's only visible as a distortion of the background.
- Wingding Eyes: Toki's eyes turn into hearts several times throughout the episode "Toki in Love" as he is admiring the female rabbit depicted on a can of carrots.