Catch! Teenieping (Korean: 캐치! 티니핑), or Catch! Ping: Fairies of Emotion in the West, is a South Korean Magical Girl series based on the toyline of the same name. It is produced by SAMG Animation (Miraculous Ladybug).
Teenieping are mischievous mind fairies who love to "enter" people's minds, but their playful nature and magical powers can wreak havoc in their hosts' lives. After an unknown force led her to a mysterious secret room in the castle holding a magic cube, the Teenieping are accidentally set loose on Earth, so Princess Romi of the Emotion Kingdom follows them to Earth to catch them back all again. Now living a life as a seemingly ordinary girl, she must balance her life between collecting all the Teenieping and her new life in the town of Harmony.
The series premiered on March 19, 2020 on KBS2 in South Korea. The series also airs on Disney Channel in South Korea, starting on April 17, 2020. There are plans to bring the franchise over to the West and globally.
Tropes in this series include:
- Arc Villain: Akdongping serves as one in the first half of Part 2, helping other Teenieping cause trouble.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Happing was corrupted by an unknown party, turning her into Akdongping.
- Dub Name Change: In the English/Western localization, this applies to some of the Teenieping due to their names being plays on Korean words or onomatopoeia.
- The title is changed from Catch! Teenieping to Catch! Ping, though the titular creatures are still called Teenieping. This is a pun on the Teenieping's naming convention, ping.
- Hachuping is Heartsping, seeing as hachu is used as Gratuitous English for "heart" here.
- Baroping is Dadaping.
- Ajaping is Gogoping.
- Happing is Happying.
- Akdongping is Giggleping.
- Geurimping is Artping.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The show's premise is Romi needing to catch all the Teenieping back again as they cause chaos in the village. The official synopsis on SAMG's website even namedrops this trope.
- Magical Girl: The show's genre. Romi is a magical princess fighter with a magic wand. She can transform into different magical girl forms depending on which Teenieping she uses.
- Open Secret: Romi needing to hide her true identity or the existence of the Teeniepings isn't necessary. The people in the town are caught offguard more by encountering a Teenieping at all rather than discovering that Teenieping exist.
- Our Fairies Are Different: The Teeniepings. They're small creatures, or "mind fairies", with magical powers and hail from another world. They're not evil, just mischievous, as the synopsis puts it.
- Production Throwback: Romi's teacher, Dane, secretly likes playing with toys. Those toys? The Miniforce toyline, another SAMG Animation cartoon.
- The Sixth Ranger: Happing, who joins the team halfway through Part 2, only long after the other Royal Teenieping have already joined and once she's purified from being Akdongping.
- Where the Hell Is Springfield?: The show takes place in the small town of Harmony. It seems to be set somewhere in the West or at least not in South Korea, given that the locals all have Western names and the usage of Western values (such as the characters wearing shoes inside their homes, though this could be because of Limited Wardrobe).
- Wrecked Weapon: The Heartwing Stick gets broken from Romi overexerting her magic, leading to Dr. Monju giving her the Teenie Heart Shield as a replacement.