Flowering Heart is a 2016 Korean Magical Girl series. It's a cross between the Cute Witch and Magical Girl Warrior types, as the girls often use magic to solve real-life problems—and stop the Queen of Despair, Cannabis, from filling people's hearts with despair.
Jin Ari, the main character, is a cheerful 12 year old girl that loves art, fashion, beauty and making people happy. With her friends Sunwoo Min, a tomboy, and U Suha, a proper lady, they help people out of their despair by using magical powers to become adults.
Other characters include Chess, a transformed hamster whose real form is human; Trump, the president (not that one) of Ari's school who's influenced into evil by his cat; and the mysterious Syuel, an aloof beauty who wants Cannabis's respect.
This series contains examples of:
- Big Bad: Cannabis, the Queen of Despair who's behind all of the problems the girls face and wants to fill humanity with despair.
- Cats Are Mean: Mao the cat influences Trump into evil.
- Evil Stepmother: Cannabis is Chess' stepmother; she banished him from the magical world when he refused to follow her orders.
- Flower Motif: Every girl has their own flower. Ari's is an azalea, Min's is a dandelion, Suha's is a forget-me-not, and Syuel's is a snow beauty.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Cannabis is the scientific term for marijuana.
- Love Triangle: Ari has feelings for Chess and his half-brother Trump.
- Older Alter Ego: The girls' magical girl forms are adult women.
- Pink Means Feminine: While all the girls are girly to some degree, Ari is the only one explicitly interested in feminine things, and her hair and outfits are pink.
- Pink Heroine: Ari, as seen above.
- Proper Lady: Suha is delicate, kind, smart and very feminine.
- The Sixth Ranger: Syuel ends up joining the team eventually.
- Spoiler Opening: Both openings are heavy on spoilers, particularly Syuel joining the girls.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Min, who loves sports and other activities but uses eyeshadow and blush to transform.
- Transformation Sequence: All four girls have one that's based around flowers and cosmetics.