03:25:56 PM Oct 12th 2014
open/close all folders
- Emily Skinner, The Woman Who Lived Longer Than Any Person Who Has Ever Lived.
- This phone commercial.
- She may always be outwitted by Sugar Bear, but Granny Goodwitch still fits. Here's a good example.
anime and manga
- Dola, from the Hayao Miyazaki movie Castle in the Sky, is both cool and incredibly badass... even though she has about 10 adult sons.
- On the subject of Miyazaki, there's Sophie (while under the Witch of the Waste's curse) from Howl's Moving Castle.
- Pinako Rockbell, Winry's grandmother from Fullmetal Alchemist.
- Sumire Ryuzaki, the Seigaku coach from The Prince of Tennis.
- Torogai from Seirei no Moribito
- Genkai from YuYu Hakusho.
- One Piece has a few:
- Doctor Kureha
- Vice-Admiral Tsuru
- Amazon Lily's Elder Nyon
- Shakky, who is older than she looks.
- Sakae Jinnouchi from Summer Wars.
- Rui in Free Soul.
- Grandma "Rose" Ben, from Bone.
- Safa, the gruff, one-eyed old lioness from Pride of Baghdad.
- Edith Manning, one of The Invisibles.
- Dennis The Menace's granny from The Beano.
- If villains count, Granny Goodness should be mentioned here. She may be Darkseid's sadistic Torture Technician, but she's cool as hell.
- The old lady from Madagascar.
- Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather from SleepingBeauty.
- Mama Odie from The Princess and the Frog.
- Grandmother Fa of Mulan.
- Lucille from Meet the Robinsons
- "Boob Lady", the Inuit Medicine Woman from The Simpsons Movie.
- Ted's grandmother Norma from The Lorax.
- Sid's grandmother from Ice Age: Continental Drift.
- The Fairy Godmother from Cinderella.
film live action
- Nannie from The Baby-Sitters Club. Mimi too, but in a different way.
- Mama Jason from Janet Kagan's short story collection Mirabile.
- Yellowfang from Warrior Cats.
- Hazel Stone from the Robert A. Heinlein classic The Rolling Stones.
- George Macdonald is particularly fond of these.
- Sylvia Redbird and Sister Mary Angela from The House of Night.
- Professor Chambers from The Power of Five. As it turns out, however, the cool factor isn't quite enough to fend off the Old Ones.
- Jayne Deverill is a villainous example.
- Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development.
- As Time Goes By's Mrs. Bale, although she'd be the last to acknowledge it.
- Karen McCluskey (Kathryn Joosten) from Desperate Housewives.
- And of course, Daisy May Moses AKA Granny from Beverly Hillbillies.
- Shirly Shmidt from Boston Legal.
- Downton Abbey:
- Lady Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham, is this trope. And is played by Maggie "Minerva McGonagall" Smith.
- Lady Cora's mother, Martha Levinson also fits the bill.
- The Golden Girls are four cool old ladies. Yes, even Rose was cool. Sophia was even a Cool Old Lady with respects to the other three, being Dorothy's mother.
- Diane Lockhart from The Good Wife.
- Debbie from Queer as Folk.
- Scrubs did this twice, first in the episode aptly titled "My Old Lady" and with the season 5 Mrs. Wilk arc.
- On Gilmore Girls, a character played by Kathryn Joosten.
- Stephanie Cole's role as Joan Norton (Dr. Ellingham's aunt) in Doc Martin.
- Mona from Who's the Boss?.
- Fay Evelyn Schlob Dumbly De Vay Cochran from Wings.
- Mildred Z. Maxwell in Done to Death.
- Niime from Fire Emblem 6.
- Kreia, from Knights of the Old Republic II. Though a bit more evil and bitter than most on this list.
- Ravel Puzzlewell from Planescape: Torment is kind of like this too, although her "other faces", especially Mebbeth is more straight example.
- Impa, from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Her incarnations in other games are this, as well.
- Anjean from The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks certainly qualifies. She is pretty much what happens when Impa meets Tetra and becomes her BFF.
- Unei from Final Fantasy III qualifies.
- From the website of the ever-awesome artist/author Ursula Vernon: http://www.redwombatstudio.com/blog/wpg2?g2_itemId=309
- Madam Karin Mayweather from Arcana Magi Zero. Alysia Perez and Megumi Miyazaki thought Karin was cool after their visit and wanted to see her again.
- Equestria Chronicles has a minor amount of cool old mares.
- Slappy Squirrel from Animaniacs alternates between this and a Grumpy Old Lady, depending on her mood.
- Arnold's Grandma Gertie in Hey Arnold!!.
- Madame Foster, founder of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
- Nana Wu from Three Delivery.
- Torhu's ruff and ready mom from Jackie Chan Adventures.
- Miss Finster from Recess.
- Archer makes friends with one of these in Placebo Effect, while they're both under treatment for breast cancer.
02:15:18 PM Jul 30th 2013
These are either poorly written examples or too generic or natter.
- Her co-stars in The Golden Girls before their passing were very much the epitome of Cool Old Ladies too.
- What, no love for Betty's one-time rival on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Cloris Leachman?
11:41:10 PM Jun 3rd 2013
Grace Cahill from the 39 Clues belongs here, I think. Even though for 99% of the series we only see the effects of her actions since she dies in the first chapter (and her death sets the rest of the story going), Amy and Dan's memories of her and her stories of travelling the world and hunting down Clues set her in this trope.
06:00:50 PM Nov 23rd 2010
edited by AnimeOtaku
edited by AnimeOtaku
02:18:07 PM Jul 30th 2013