Web Video: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Abridged
An Abridged Series using footage from the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVAs, covering Part 3 of the series. Created by AntfishFTW and featuring a voice cast from a few other TAS's. The series has 10 episodes (the 5th acting as a Season Finale); with Episodes 9 and 10 having 2 and 3 parts respectively. Found here.A new series using footage from the 2012 anime, covering Parts 1 & 2 of the series, is currently in production, and four episodes have been released.
This work provides examples of:
open/close all folders
- Ambiguously Gay - Dio. Sure, he hits on Power Girl in the Stand Idol segment, but it sounds a lot like posturing.
- The "Dio's First Kiss" short pretty much throws him into the Transparent Closet.
- Anachronism Stew: Moreso in the "In 12 BC" video where mentions are made of the Internet, Google, and Youtube. In ancient Aztec territory. Mocked as well when Chief Steroidicus complains about how hard it is to get a signal in their time.
- Animal Wrongs Group: Or rather, Animal Wrongs HERO, in the case of PETA-Man.
- Anything That Moves - Dio, if the Comment Special is anything to go by.
- Art Shift
Suzi Q: ... Weren't you a brunette before?
- Flashback (as well as Flash Forward) scenes in the original series are mainly shown as manga screenshots, since the OVA was the only available animated source at the time.
- Plus, the second half of the series comes from footage of the '90s OVA series, while the first half was made from the more recent series which was made to fill in the missing portions of the story. Lampshaded at the end when Jotaro's mother Holly wakes up from her coma, and she looks completely different.
- Author Appeal: Antfish likes sprinkling some pro-wrestling here and there.
- Badass - Even when played for comedy, Jotaro still comes across this way.
- Black Comedy Rape - Hol Horse's dreams of being raped by the Blue Collar Boys. And Mr. Popo.
- Brick Joke
- Avdol does actually end up going to McDonalds!
- FAJITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! And Peta-Man.
- "Jotaro can read minds!"
- Berserk Button
Dio: U mad?Kakyoin: YES. I. MAD!
- Do NOT mention 9/11 around Avdol or blame him for causing it.
- Don't ever tell Leone Abbacchio that there's no such thing as a world inside a mirror ("The last person who said that got KILLED!")
- Don't compare Kakyoin to Keanu Reeves when his shades are on.
BOOSTER! F*CKING! GOLD!!! Who put you up to this?!
- And certainly don't refer to Booster Gold as Green Lantern.
- Big Damn Heroes: Polnareff jumping at Dio from behind before he can decapitate Jotaro, and earlier "Avdol returning and saving Polnareff from justice".
- Butt Monkey: Polnareff. Even more so than the source material.
- Call Back: The first time the gang meet Polnareff, Joseph gets a rapier through his artificial hand and screams "Ooh, my sexy hand!!". Around the final 3-part episode, Jotaro nails Dio's Stand with a deft punch, damaging its fists and as a consequence, cutting up Dio's hand. And he says the very same thing.
Chief Steroidicus: And my PENIS!!!
- And in the same video, just before he goes to cut Jotaro's head off, Dio remarks that he's been "looking for a place to store (his) bottle-caps." One earlier side video, "In 12 BC, Stone Mask was Beginning", after having sacrificed a virgin to become a vampire, when asked what they should do with her head, Aztec Chief Steroidicus tells them to give it to him, as he's been looking for a place to store his bottle-caps...
- Calling Your Attacks
Dio: "The Worl-!" *Dio gets socked in the face by Star Platinum*Star Platinum: Shut the F**K UP!
- Subverted, Jotaro interrupts Dio as he calls out his Stand.
- Played straight with the Jotaro Punch.
- Also with Kakyoin's "Child Abuse Throw!"
- Catch Phrase
- Avdol's "I have found the only way to defeat X is to BURN IT." where X is whatever they happen to be facing at the time. Lampshaded by Joseph when he asks if Avdol is trying to get that printed on a T-shirt.
- Double-subverted during episode 8, when he's interrupted by Polnareff, denies that he was going to say it because "That's just retarded."...and then proceeds to open Dio's casket by burning it. (It's hard to hear, but he actually screams PSYCHE! right before unleashing Magician's Red. He was just messing with Polnareff.)
- Cheese Eating Surrender Monkey: Averted for laughs with Polnareff, who doesn't want to run away from getting revenge on J. Geil and Hol Horse for Abdul's recent death.Polnareff (...) I'm french! We never surrender!
- Cloud Cuckoolander - Jotaro. His pen pal is Duck Dodgers, and he writes to him like it's a letter to Penthouse. Let's leave it at that. Given that Joseph isn't much better, it probably runs in the family.
- And while none of the characters (Except Kakyoin) are paragons of sanity, Holly might just be the worst of them.
- Cluster F-Bomb - Joseph drops quite a few when he flashes back to his final fight with Cars.
- In episode 5, when Jotaro confronts Enya Geil as being J. Geil's mother (and by extent, being a milf), Polnareff performs this whilst being carried away by Justice.
- Continuity Nod:
Joseph: You're like the son I will probably never, ever have... Josuke.noteJotaro: Jotaro.Joseph: Johnny.note
- Antfish is clearly a fan of the whole of JoJo, because he'll slip in little jokes about the other parts of the series. Other than the blatant ones such as the flashback to the Cars fight and the reference to Dio burning Danny (Jonathan Joestar's dog in Part 1), there's also little asides like Jotaro telling Polnareff not to get trapped in a turtle.
Polnareff: I guess I'll just.....Stay here....Getting used to not moving my legs.....
- Also, there's a another incredibly stealthy one from the "World Inside the Mirror" spinoff, "WHEELY HIGH." Brick Joke because Giorno and his gang soon meet Polnareff, confined to a wheelchair, who had also seen the Mirror World before.
- And even later in Episode 10:
Maybe he ran out of steam and just rolled out of there.
- Jotaro making a "Your Girlfriend" joke on Dio is karmic, since he tried to steal Jonathan's fiance Erina.
- And he references the memetic steamroller scene:
- Don't Explain the Joke:
Bartender: [...] Do you know where my foot will be if you don't order a drink?Joseph: (sigh) We'll have four iced teas—Bartender: It will be up your ass. Just saying.
- "It's funny because there are bitches in the way that need to move."
- Also, from episode 7:
- Double Meaning: When Polnareff laments about Abdul being dead "Just like the Iron Giant", Kakyoin points out that he survived. "He" could refer to both Abdul and the Iron Giant, since both seemingly died only to come back.
- Eagle Land: Hol Horse.Hol Horse: I don't care if you're speaking Chinamanese, that sure ain't no Uncle Sam talk I hear!
Jotaro: So it's emo?Kakyoin: Wha- no, it's not emo!Jotaro: You said it likes to hide in hair bangs. Pretty sure that's an emo thing.Kakyoin: That doesn't mean it's emo!Jotaro: Dude, it is crying from its wrist. That is hard emo, bro.
- Jotaro accuses Hierophant Green of this after hearing that it likes to "hide underneath hair bangs."
- Made even funnier by the fact that Linkin Park's Crawling is playing in the background as he says it.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Dio's status as this gets parodied when N'Doul is gushing at length about how wonderful Dio is, and by the time he gets to "His trapezius muscles tore through his shirt," Jotaro interjects with "Okay, I'm getting a little uncomfortable..." and N'Doul immediately tells him to shut up because "Dio Brando's a sexy man!"
- Fake Crossover:
- Mr. Popo shows up in Hol Horse's nightmare at the end of episode five.
- And at the end of episode 8, King Yemma determined Avdol's place in heaven: at the McDonalds.
- Also, Seto Kaiba, voiced by LittleKuriboh himself, pops up for a second when D'arby accuses Jotaro of not following the rules.
- Kaiba: Kick his ass, Jotaro.
- "Fire Lord Avdol."
- Which gets reciprocated in episode 11 of Avatar: The Abridged Series when Avdol is one of Zhao's advisors. He, of course, advises that "The only way to defeat the water tribe is to burn it."
- Mr. Popo shows up in Hol Horse's nightmare at the end of episode five.
- Famous Last Words: Mocked, then played straight.
Polnareff: Come on, Iggy, wake up! Come on, say it. "Tonight, you. Tonight, you!"Iggy: Tonight... me.
- Another examples is played straighter:
- Felony Misdemeanor: Pannacotta Fugo discovers the horrifying secret of the mirror world:Fugo: Well, this doesn't seem so bad- Oh my God, they spelled "trash" backwards!
- Flash Forward: The "Flashback to the Future" segments.
- Fourth Wall Mail Slot: The "comment special" video.
- Get A Load Of That Square: In episode 1, Joseph tries speaking entirely in slang he learned from an in-flight movie on the way to Japan.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Joseph regularly says "Dagnabbit," but isn't at all afraid to use other, more powerful words.
- Grammar Nazi: Dio doesn't like grammar errors during the comment special.Dio: reading a fan commentTakahata101: Cast List Antfish - Everyone I SEE WOT U DID THARDio: Well, I wished you saw what you typed because you can't f*cking spell.
- Grand Finale: Episode 10, in 3 parts. It's sweet, hilarious, and all-in-all kickass.
- Gratuitous French - Half of the words that comes out of Polnareff's mouth.
- Heads I Win, Tails You Lose: Episode 4.Kakyoin: Heads, Polnareff wins. Tails, J. Geil loses.J. Geil: *thinking* That's not fair, either one I choose I... uh-oh.
- Hold Up Your ScoreJoseph: Aw, f*** you, Germany!
- Homoerotic Subtext:
- Parodied when Jotaro walks past Kakyoin in a series of freeze-frames, with a "CLAMP Warning" meter at the bottom of the screen that skyrockets just as he passes him. And then plummets back to zero when Jotaro walks past him and turns his attention to Enya.
- Also shows up in the "Or is there?" video:Abbacchio: So don't ever say there's no such thing as a world inside a mirror! Got it?Giorno: *beat* You smell nice.Abbacchio: *stunned silence*
- I Have Many Names - The Rock introduces himself as such when auditioning for Stand Idol.The Rock: Rocky, The Brahma Bull, The Great One, The People's Champ, Dwayne Johnson, the Most EEEEEEEEEELECTRIFYING MAN IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!
- I Have No Daughter: Jotaro is not happy to learn that Jolyne is allergic to fajitas.
- In Name Only: Abridged? The final episode is in three parts, and is nearly as long as the final episode of the OVA. Though shortening it would be difficult without cutting out material important to the plot, as the final battle rages across the entire city. And onto a river. And it's still hilarious.
- In addition, large parts of the series are played exactly the same as they are in the base series, with some jokes added. Compare to other abridged series where if you hadn't seen the original the story would be unrecognizable. JJBA is just that crazy to begin with.
- Insane Troll Logic - Joseph's interpretation of Kakyoin attacking the clock tower, which leads him to believe that Dio's stand can breathe fire.
- Also counts as a case of Fridge Brilliance as to his conclusion. Why would Joseph be so scared of fighting a fire-using enemy? Because Esidisi nearly killed him using that kind of power, not to mention the miscellaneous fiery explosions, the volcano thing with Kars, Kars melting his leg with the Ripple, almost burning up in re-entry — fire has never been Joseph's best friend (though it's still possible the reference was unintentional).
- Insistent Terminology - Episode 7Joseph: As you all know, months have passed since we left for Egypt.Polnareff: We've only been gone for three weeks.Joseph: MONTHS. Have passed.
- Jive Turkey - N'Doul.
- Kitchen Sink Included: As in the original, Dio stops time and throws dozens of knives at a frozen Jotaro until there are too many for him to block or avoid. Before starting time up again, he adds, "And for comedic effect..." and a kitchen sink gets photoshopped into the scene.
- Large Ham - Dio was already one to begin with, but the Abridged Series cranked it up to 11.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Jotaro; he even quotes the trope namer.
- Major Injury Underreaction
- Polnareff's reaction when he is set on fire by Avdol?Polnareff: "I appeared to have burst into flames..."
- Kakyoin's response to getting sliced across the eyes by Geb? "Ow."
- Jotaro is also quite fond of this trope. For example: he does not so much as flinch while a zombified baby GNAWS ON HIS KNEECAP. Cue the following dialogue.Kakyoin: Doesn't that hurt?Jotaro: Doesn't what hurt?Kakyoin: Aren't you in pain?!Jotaro: What is "pain"?
- "Ban-dage? What a strange device. Do...do I eat it? Is...is it microwavable? Does it...taste like...poptarts? I don't know."
- Polnareff's reaction when he is set on fire by Avdol?
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Antfish used to do professional voice acting for radio after all.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: "(after getting stabbed in the throat) I sprained my ankle!"
- Mood Whiplash: N'Doul's death scene, wherein he shares his final words and life story with Jotaro... who is quick to point out that N'Doul is quoting a flashback from Ray, before taking another turn to the serious when Jotaro regrets the fact that N'Doul could've made a great ally.
- Mr. Fanservice: Lampshaded when Kakyoin is referred to as "the only reason women watch this show."
- Mythology Gag: The infamous CLAMP Jotaro/Kakyoin doujin is referenced on occasion, particularly in "The Mother of Jolyne Kujo."
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The original Vanilla Ice was nothing like his namesake.
- No Dead Body Poops: While Faking the Dead, Jotaro goes so far as to crap his pants when Dio decides to check for that as well.
- Noodle Incident: After Jotaro brings Kakyoin's body to Joseph, he states he's "not in the mood to eat one of your classmates... again."
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer
- "His name is Vanilla Ice."
Polnareff: What's that? You say I can beat your bum? OHOHOHOHO! note (Subtitle: ACTUAL DUB DIALOGUE)
- Also pulled two off earlier in Episode 4, during the infamous "beat your bum" line.
Kakyoin: POLNAREFF! He's in the CHROME of the STEERING WHEEL! (Subtitle: ACTUAL DUB INFLECTION)
- Then when Polnareff and Kakyoin see J. Geil's Hanged Man in the chrome of their vehicle's steering wheel, the bizarre case of Lip Lock from the dub is referenced here by Kakyoin stating:
- Oh Crap!:
Jotaro: What's he doing with that stopsign? Why'd he break that stopsign in half? Why's he coming over here? Oh no, oh no, no no no, NO NO NO NO!Dio: *tossing a ship* Enjoy your stay on the S.S. Plummet, Jotaro!Jotaro: That's a boat-- *boat crashes into him*Dio: *overhead with a gas tanker* LOOK WHAT I'VE GOOOOOOOT!Jotaro: Well...that's a first.
- Many, many from episode ten:
"Why can't I move? Wh... why can't I- No, no, nononoNONO! MOTHERF**KER!!! NO! NO! NO! NO! BULLS**T! BULLS**T! BULLS**T!"
- And, last but not least, Dio when Jotaro stops time in what has to be one of the most epic instances of You Have Got to Be Kidding Me! of all time:
- Product Placement: Briefly mocked in episode 9 (and was present in the original OVA as well) when Joseph and Kakyoin land in front of a large 7-UP sign.Joseph: Gee, I really feel thirsty all of a sudden...
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis! - In Episode 9, the Chauffeur's speech patterns are...odd.Chauffeur: SON. OF A HIPPO'S. LEFT. NUT.
- Quip to Black - "'cause I'm cold... as ice." (YEEEEEEAAAAAAAH!)
- Rant-Inducing Slight: Doppio grows steadily more impatient and temperamental when more and more people keep dialling his number while he's expecting an important call from Diavolo. He finally blows his top upon getting yet another call from Roman Bellic thinking he was calling Niko for a bowling invitation. And then he accidentally blows his top when Diavolo finally does call him.
- Real Song Theme Tune
- Killswitch Engage's cover of Ronnie James Dio's (who was the Big Bad's namesake) "Holy Diver". Dio's original version is later used at the end of episode 8, when Dio makes his first non-shadowed appearance.
- Dark Reprise: The above use of Holy Diver could be considered this.
- The anime uses a shortened version of its actual opening theme.
- Refuge in Audacity
- Using N'Doul as a jive turkey? Possibly offensive to some. Proceeding to ramp it up by then quick-cutting to most known black stereotypes within only 10 seconds? Hilarious.
- Reminiscing About Your Victims: J. Geil does this by bragging about killing Polnareff's sister.I raped her, then I killed her, then I dressed her up as Liza Minelli, then I raped her again. I know, I'm f***ed up like that.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Ironically, whilst Dio mocks one comment for spelling Polnareff's name as "Boneraff", Antfish frequently typoes his name as "Polneraff."
- Rule 63 - A genderflipped picture of Dio and Jotaro is shown in episode 7, complete with Les Yay. Very Squickish. Said genderflipped Dio made an appearance on the comment special.
- Short Runner - Seeing as how the original OVA (and therefore, the abridged series) only covered a portion of the series with two OVAs (One made in 1993 with only 6 episodes, ad the later OVA with 7 episodes for a total of only 13 episodes), it really can't be helped.
- Thankfully, this trope is subverted as after the new anime series, the abridged series is starting up again, adapting parts 1 and 2 (the original adapted part 3).
- Shout-Out: Even with just ten episodes, the shoutouts are already too numerous to count, so enjoy them having their own page!
- Sound Effect Bleep
- Spirit Advisor: Jotaro's appears to him in times of dire need in the form of Steve Buscemi.
- Straight Man: Avdol, despite being an easily angered pyrokinetic with megalomaniacal life goals, is by far the most level-headed of the Joestar troupe.
- Take Over the World: Dio ends up having a desire to Take Over the World around the end of the final episode, speaking of a world of fear, ruled by him, Dio. Enter the realization that he, Dio, can't move.
- Take That:
- "I never thought I'd say this... but thank you, Bleach... you saved my life... I hope you never get plagiarized."
- And after listening to the theme for "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Time":Jotaro: "That's... amazing!"Dio: "What, that something so indie could be so mainstream?"Jotaro: "No, that Cartoon Network's still making cartoons."
- Tempting Fate
Kakyoin: Hi...Jotaro: Hi.Kakyoin: Ero...Jotaro: Ero.Kakyoin: Phant...Jotaro: Phant.Kakyoin: Green.Jotaro: Green.Kakyoin: Hierophant Green.Jotaro: John Green.Kakyoin: Okay, now you're just messing with me!Jotaro: Hehehe. I do that sometimes.
- Two examples.Antfish: (on viewing Star Platinum pulling Hierophant Green from a girl's mouth) Oh God, it's so gross! Ugh, stop it, stop it! *hits pause* Oh God, that looks so gross! Ugh... It'd be even worse in reverse...*scene rewinds*Antfish: OH GOD I WAS RIGHT!
- AndJoseph: Guess what, everyone! We're one of the first Abridged Series' to go six episodes without a Metal Gear reference!Others: Huzzah! *cue exclamation point and alert sound*Joseph: Dagnabit!
- Another...Joseph: Nobody make a sound...Jotaro: LEEEEEERRRRRROOOOOOYYYYYYY!!!!!
- Invoked, then played straight later in the episode.Joseph: All right, so long as no one jinxes it-Jotaro: Hey, Granddad, the stand's dead.*Geb attacks Joseph*
- Kakyoin does this three times, though Jotaro's just messing around the first time:
Kakyoin: I warn you, Jotaro—Jotaro (thinking): Wait, how'd his Stand get there?Kakyoin: My Stand doesn't like to be in open spaces. It would much rather be hiding in something like a dark corner. Or hair bangs.Jotaro: So... it's emo.Kakyoin: Wha—? No, it's not emo!Jotaro: You said it likes to hide behind hair bangs. Pretty sure that's what emos do.Kakyoin: That doesn't mean it's emo![cut to a wounded Hierophant Green, with Linkin Park's "Crawling" playing in the background]Jotaro: Dude, it is crying from its wrist. That is hard emo, bro.
- Kakyoin does another one 3 seconds later
Jotaro: You should be glad to know that today's Tuesday, because Tuesday is fajita night.Kakyoin: It's...Thursday...Jotaro: Die.
- Lastly, Kakyoin completely screws himself over
Dio: They were really hard punches!Jotaro: Not as hard as my dick...Dio: Wait—what!?Jotaro: ...when I f*cked your girlfriend!
- Dio pulls two off as well at the finale. First is seeing that Jotaro survived being beaten by The World in Part One
Dio: "Why can't I move? Wh... why can't I- No, no, (sees Jotaro walking out the fire) nononoNONO! MOTHERF**KER!!! (Jotaro stops in front of him) NO! NO! NO! NO! BULLS**T! BULLS**T! BULLS**T! Okay, okay, okay, calm down, Dio. Calm down. Calm down, Dio...calm down. Okay...okay. If I, Dio, don't move, then he won't realize that I, Dio, am not in front of-"(Star Platinum smashes Dio's leg)Dio: OH MY GOD!Jotaro: "Time Continues."
- The second one happens when Jotaro stops time shortly after being hit with a Oil Rig
- Two examples.
- Tim Curry: Abridged Dio is basically him to a peg.
- And so is everyone else played by Tim Curry.
- The Unreveal: Dio's speaking voice gets roughly a third of a second of screen time before being interrupted by the opening titles. Subverted in Episode 8, when we finally hear him speak.
- Too Much Information: In episode 3. After the plane crash in the beginning and their entry onto the ship-stand Strength, one of the pilots gets close to Forever the orangutan and teases him about what he's reading. Kakyoin goes into very dark and grisly detail about what the orangutan could do to a normal human being.
- Trademark Favorite Food - Jotaro is easily distracted by any mention of fajitas.
- Villainous Breakdown
- Dio has a short but massive one when he learns Jotaro can stop time and do it so that Dio can't move.
- And of course, there's D'Arby's infamous one, when Jotaro's high speed stand bluff trick-cum mind molestation makes D'Arby lose his shit epically.
- Verbal Tic:
- "I, Dio, do not know why I, Dio, am included as an example here."
- Also a nod to actual canon where in Dio often refers to himself as (based on rough translation) "this Dio".
- D'Arby over-emphasizing the "oo" sound in anything he says.
- And always cutting to the exact same sequence of animation whenever he does, even when it makes no sense and is just there because it's funny.
- Visual Pun: In the comment special, in the aforementioned answer to a comment saying he sounds like Tim Curry, Dio, after asking other Tim Curry-voiced actors (including Dr. Frank N. Furter), then asks a pan full of curry. Personally, he doesn't hear it.
- Vocal Evolution: Kakyoin's voice went from this to this. Note that everyone else hasn't changed a whole lot.
- Wacky Sound Effect: The series is filled with this to add to the funny factor. Ends up lampshaded in Episode 4 when Polnareff and Kakyoin's car gets knocked about by J. Geil, making squeaky toy noises as it goes.
- Polnareff: Why don't you tell me when the car was rolling over it was making funny honking noises?
- Waxing Lyrical:
Enya: Are you just reciting song lyrics?Polnareff: ...I want to fuck a dog in the ass.
- Polnareff attempts to pick-up Enya using only song lyrics. She immediately notices this.
- As noted above, D'Arby quotes several lines from "Ace of Spades" when he introduces himself.
- What If? - The whole point of the epilogue episode, really.
- X Days Since - The first episode has this."Welcome to Japan. Days without a giant monster attack: eight." *Giant monster attacks* "Scratch that, zero."
- Your Mom: Well, more like Your Girlfriend.Dio: They were really hard punches!Jotaro: Not as hard as my dick...Dio: Wait—what!?Jotaro: ...when I f*cked your girlfriend!
- Alternate Continuity/Continuity Reboot: Aside from any possible references to the previous abridged series and unless he skips Part 3 if it's done in the anime, this is probably the case. That, or Made in Heaven already restarted the universe.
- Anachronism Stew: Present in the OVA series as well, but the anime takes it to extremes. For starters, the bullies Dio hangs with are dubstep fans, and Jack the Ripper is a brony.
- Barbarian Long Hair: Bruford's hair gets much attention.Bruford: I have the best hair in the world!
Speedwagon: It's really nice hair.
Bruford: IT'S MY ONLY GIMMICK!!
- Berserk Button: If George Joestar cooks steak for you, DO NOT SAY IT WAS MERELY "OKAY." He killed a cow in front of her children to get that steak! Jonathan learns this the hard way.
- Don't be a Brony in front of William Antonio Zeppeli.
- Blasphemous Boast: Dio's reaction to Zeppeli is "Oh. My. Dio!" Its even funnier if you know your Italian.
- Bond, James Bond: Because Zeppeli is a big fat Sean Connery tribute, he introduces himself as:Zeppeli. William A. Zeppeli.
- Brick Joke: To Dio's First Kiss. Dio finally got that erection. But only when Jonathan headbutted him.
- Buried Alive: Dio's father, courtesy of Dio himself. Though to his credit, Dario's antidote kicked in a little too late.
- Call Back: A meta one: Jonathan's line about the Joestar Sex Drive is a reference to the previous Abridged series where at one point, Joseph feared that DIO was after his "unlimited sex drive."
- Call Forward: Jonathan mentions that when he asks Zeppeli about the specifics behind the Ripple power, Zeppeli usually tells him not to worry "as it probably won't be relevant in the next 100 years." A hundred years later, now everyone has Stands instead.
- William A. Zeppeli isn't fond of the name "Caesar", as he'd rather die than know anyone named after a salad.
- In his final moments, Zeppeli says to Jonathan that their descendants will meet in the future, but states that it's unlikely that a Zeppeli will die for a Joestar again.
- Catch Phrase: George's short lived "Before your [insert action here], let me ask you, how do you like your steak?"
- Celebrity Resemblance: At their first meeting, Zeppeli remarks that Dio looks like David Bowie.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Speedwagon wants to buy Candy Land and be its Duke-King-President.
- Contest Winner Cameo: Sort of. The shot of a fangirl pinching Jonathan's butt was one of many drawings submitted to Antfish by fans for the episode. The honorable mentions received their own video a few weeks later.
- Crossword Puzzle:Dio: What's a three letter word for... "total dick"?Jonathan: DIO!!!Dio: Hey, that works.
- Curbstomp Battle: In episode 2. Dio throws a punch. Jonathan takes it like a man; i.e. his faces moves an inch and then he forces Dio's hand back by turning his head. Jonathan shoves Dio flying off the balcony.Dio: (upon seeing Jonathan's reaction to his punch) Ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh, fuck.
- Description Cut: When Jonathan is explaining the result of his boxing match with Dio, he said it's a fair fight. It's not.
- Evilutionary Biologist: Jonathan declares Dio to be one in regards to merging humans and cats together. And Dio is very defensive about his hybrids.Dio: DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT MY MAN-CATS!
- Fair for Its Day: In-Universe. A simple kiss is considered "third base".
- Falling in Love Montage: Lampshaded. After Erina leaves Jonathan some food as thanks for helping her, he calls after her that they should get together and "montage" sometime; cue a very fast-forwarded version of their actual Falling in Love Montage from the original anime. Dio later tells Erina how he's heard that she and Jonathan were "montaging" together.
- Fanservice: The scene where Dio's shirt is destroyed by the fire in the mansion is lampshaded by Dio himself.Check your panties and tell me that was unnecessary. (Blows kiss at the camera)
- Felony Misdemeanor: Jack the Ripper is a Brony, and Zeppeli is disgusted by this.
- Gilligan Cut: "Dinner with the Joestars" ends with Jonathan asking if Dio's seen Danny the dog anywhere. Cut to the furnace with a yelping Danny.Dio:......nope.
- Groin Attack: A pissed off Zeppeli deals one to Speedwagon on demand from a comment after realizing the bottles Speedwagon provided him with were not wine but purple tanning oil.Speedwagon: EVEN SPEEDWAGON CAN'T HAVE KIDS!
- I Call It "Vera": George has a shotgun called "Joanna Joestar" which he has at the ready when Mr. Butler admits he's a vegetarian.
- I Have Many Names: Zeppeli points out that the Ripple power is also called "Hamon" or "Sendo" (What it was called in the early stages of Part 1) or "whatever you wanna call it I don't give a fuck."
- Innocently Insensitive: Played for Laughs with this exchange:Jonathan: You must be Dio Brando!Dio: And you must be Jonathan Joesta—Jonathan: I heard your parents are dead![Beat]Dio: ...oh, we are going to get along swimmingly.
- Insistent Terminology: Jonathan and Dio refer to their brawl in episode 1 discovering that the Stone Mask is activated by blood as "science".
- Lampshade Hanging/Don't Explain the Joke: Dio's bully friends explain how Erina was drinking dirty water because she would rather have that in her mouth instead of kissing Dio. "#Clarity!"
- Of course, the real joke in that scene is that it looked like it will be basically a remastered version of the Dio's First Kiss, but then showing us an abridged (in the real sense of the word) version of what happened in the original source material.
- Laser-Guided Karma: As he lays dying in Jonathan's arms at the beginning of Episode 3, George berates Jonathan for believing in Heaven and Hell, saying that he only believes in karma and reincarnation. So having spent his entire life murdering cattle, George gets reincarnated as a newborn calf in The Stinger.
- George: Oh, the deliciously cruel irony...
- Earlier in episode 2, Dio makes a joke about Jonathan potentially "dying during his research, just like David Carradine." Later, when Dio is being attacked and almost killed by a vampire while testing the Stone Mask, a ghostly image of none other than Carradine appears saying "Payback's a biiiiiiitch!" since Dio is very nearly dying during his own research.
- It goes even further—in real life, Carradine appeared to, and is widely believed to have died via autoerotic asphyxiation (officially denied by his estate, to be clear), i.e. his research. Dio is having his blood drained in a manner that resembles strangulation and is apparently getting off on it (since after the vampire is killed by the sun, Dio replies "Way to blue ball a guy!").
- Men Can't Keep House: Apparently George isn't too varied in his cooking (and nor are the servants it seems) since all he and Jonathan (and now Dio) have for dinner is steak.George: I am a single father, Jonathan! Barbeque and grilled cheese are the extent of my cooking abilities!!
- Mood Whiplash: The comment special is pretty funny up until Zeppeli relates his backstory to Speedwagon and one commentor, wherein it suddenly becomes very dramatic.
Speedwagon: (sobbing) Even Speedwagon is crying!Zeppeli: Yeesh, how's that vagina treatin' ya? And with that said, I'm off to indulge myself with some of that wine!Speedwagon: Oh, that's not wine!Zeppeli: ... it's not?Speedwagon: Nope, it's purple tanning oil! You never know when you'll run into half-naked men in need of glistening!Zeppeli: ... (reading a final comment) "Mr. Zeppeli, would you kindly kick the ever-present Speedwagon in the groin with extreme prejudice, please!?" (does so)
- But it then loops right back to hilarious when he finishes his tale.
- Murder by Cremation: Just like in the source, Danny is burned alive. But it wasn't enough for Dio:Dio: So Jonathan, how do you like the dinner I made for you? Sorry if it is a little... burned.''Jonathan:... (slowly takes his eyes off from the paw-shaped meat and towards Dio)Dio: (fast whisper) Don't fuck with me.
- No Sell: Jonathan completely ignoring Dio's punch in episode 2.
- Prison Rape: Used twice, first when Jonathan confronts Dio about the poison:Jonathan: I'll get this medicine analyzed, and then they will send you to jail, where you will get analyzed! *WORDPLAY*
George: Dio, I must say I'm incredibly disappointed in you. Before you're taken away, let me ask you: how do you like your steak?Dio: (nervously) Uh...medium-rare?George: Well, too bad! Because all you're getting is porked! Ha ha, zinged ya!
- And then when Dio is arrested:
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: George lapses into this when Jonathan says his steak was merely "okay." Being fair to Jonathan though, steak appears to be all they eat..George: I think. You should leave. The table.
- Real Men Eat Meat: Justified in that steak is all George knows how to cook and it's all he, Jonathan, and Dio have for dinner. Oh, and how did George get that steak? Killing a cow in front of her children so they'd grow up vengeance fuelled taste just as good, if so much better that the taste would "dance on his pallet." Also Dio prefers his steak "bloody and full of knives. Just like (his) women."
- Reality Subtext: Dario Brando took a counterclaimical to cure him that didn't kick in until he was already buried. Might have been Antfish's writing, but the character's actor is is no stranger to using such subtext.
- Refuge in Audacity: The mentioning of 2010s pop culture (dubstep, YOLO, etc.) by the characters in 19th century England.
- Sean Connery: To properly counter Dio's Tim Curry twang, William Antonio Zeppeli is Sean Connery to a tee.
- Shout-Out: Speedwagon sounds remarkably like Pops from Regular Show, and even throws in a reference to it by saying "Good show!" at one point in Episode 2.
Jonathan: I'm not afraid!Jonathan: What?Zeppeli: Nothin'.
- This exchange between Jonathan and Zeppeli.
- So Last Season: Whenever Jonathan asks Zeppeli the specifics about the Ripple power, Zeppeli merely says not to worry about it "as it probably won't be relevant in the next 100 years."
- Something Else Also Rises: When George rants about how he killed a cow in front of her children to get the family's steak dinner, notice the camera is focusing on Dio and how a VERY audible springing sound can be heard at this statement.
- Take That: To Gangnam Style's Deader Than Disco status in Episode 1.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Subverted so many times it becomes a Running GagDio Brando: Seriously, let me finish my sentences.
- Talk to the Fist: Jonathan interrupts Dio's ego-stroking, internal monologue.
- Tempting Fate: "Oh please, I'm a gentleman. *Ultimate Rage in 3, 2, 1,* Nothing ever gets me upse- *Sees photo of Dio kissing Erina*"
- "Surely *Life-Changing effect in 3, 2, 1,* reading it will not have any effect on— HOLY ACID TRIP!"
- Tranquil Fury: George seems pretty damn quietly angry when Jonathan merely says his steak dinner was "okay."
- Waxing Lyrical: As soon as Speedwagon refers to Poco as "British Tom Sawyer", Zeppeli and Jonathan start talking of him using lyrics from..."Tom Sawyer" by Rush.
- Your Mom: Part of the verbal pissing match between Zeppeli and Dio involves the former playing this card during their exchange:Dio: Do you recall how many breads you've eaten in your life?Zeppeli: In fact, I do! It was enough to fuck your mother last night.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The ideal way Jotaro deals with Jolyne telling him she's allergic to Mexican food? Disown her.Jotaro: I made fajitas.Jolyne: I'm allergic to Mexican!Jotaro: I HAVE NO DAUGHTER!
- Mistaken for Gay: Part of one of the sketches in the Johnny & Gyro Strip Show has Gyro carrying Johnny bridal-style, much to the confusion of some customers who quickly get corrected.