open/close all folders
OVA - Jotaro and company
- Awesome McCoolname: Though Star Platinum is a pretty cool name, he still wanted to call his stand "Super Mega Ninja Galvatron Deluxe".
- Determinator: He refuses to pull a tacky inspirational Inner Monologue during his fight with Dio, and so has to fight him without pause. When Dio drops an oil tanker on him, he forces himself to continue punching at it and doesn't stop until he hits a gas line and it explodes on top of him.
- Feel No Pain: He doesn't seem to even know what pain IS.
- Genius Ditz: Abridged!Jotaro isn't that bright most of the time. However, he tricked both Enya and D'Arby, and he spent a good thirty seconds messing with Kakyoin regarding the pronunciation of Hierophant Green; similarly, he trolls Dio into gaying it up for a minute with a single well-placed question. In general, he's also the quickest to solve problems. He may or may not have Obfuscating Stupidity.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: Subverted. He's able to name his stand in the same manner as characters from early Final Fantasy games, but he seems annoyed over the fact that the writers made him name it "Star Platinum".
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: As a throwback to a joke from an early episode, the finale reveals he can read minds. Though he has no clue when he was first able to do it.
- The "power" in question may stem from a lack of mouth animations Antfish had at his disposal for the scene, forcing him to come up with some explanation for why no one's mouth was moving.
- Noodle Incident: "The blood donation from hell" in episode 1. The introductiory interview video for the series clarifies a little more.
- Apparently, Dio wasn't the only one who exploded when he killed him with his Jotaro Punch, mentioning that it always happens when he uses it.
- Screw Destiny: Joseph believed Jotaro could take Dio only if he completed his Shonen Hero Monologue. He refused, and still kicked Dio's ass.
- Big "OMG!": While it was his Catch Phrase in the magna, in Abridged it only appears once in Episode 6.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: "Dag nabit!" Although he will use much harder swears.
- Grandpa, What Massive Hotness You Have: According to GDILF Magazine.
- Insane Troll Logic: Makes a leap of logic that makes him think Dio's stand breathes fire.
- I'm a Humanitarian: It's implied that Jotaro once brought one of his classmates home for dinner.
- Major Injury Underreaction/Minor Injury Overreaction: Dio stabs him in the throat with a knive. He complains about spraining his ankle.
- Shout-Out: Several towards Optimus Prime.
Muhammad "Avdol" Rafiki Shazir
- Berserk Button: 9/11.
- Anything relating to Muslim/Terrorist stereotypes really. Hell, he ends up at McDonald's when he dies, as Joseph predicted.
- Although all of these act as a sort of inverse, oddly enough. Avdol will always back down when insulted as per the above, even if he is extremely pissy about it.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: In contrast with his main series counterpart.Avdol: Now that we got that out of the way, we can-Jotaro: Pussy.Avdol: You want to take this out in the parking lot, mother*fcker!?
- Kill It with Fire: Everything
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: "I have learned that the only way to defeat X is to burn it".
- Real Men Hate Affection: His reaction to Polnareff hugging him.Get the f*ck off me.
- Straight Man
- To Be a Master: Wishes to become the Fire Lord.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer...: See Mad Libs Catch Phrase.
- Berserk Button: Just so you know, he isn't Keanu Reeves. Yes, he mad.
- Cool Shades: Wears them near the end of the series, possibly because of Rule of Cool. Or perhaps an excuse to unleash a barrage of X-Men references.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Managed to give Joseph a tip to the secret behind Dio's stand just before he died. Even if he took it the wrong way. At the very least, Dio thought it worked, which led him to give Joseph a little breathing room and eventually reveal it for real.
- Emo Teen: Not him, but Jotaro gives this Alternative Character Interpretation for Hierophant Green.
- Major Injury Underreaction: His response to having claws raked over his eyes and face is a calm "ow".
- Mr. Fanservice: As Polnareff put it, "He's the only reason women watch this show!".
- Pretty Boy: See Mr. Fanservice above. Kakyoin mentally spouted " I am so f*cking pretty" in the middle of his and Polnareff's fight with J. Geil.
- Straight Man: Aside from making some references, Kakyoin is almost identical to his manga counterpart.
- Big Damn Heroes: POLNAREFF ASSIST MOTHERF*KER!
- Butt Monkey: Even moreso than in the original.
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys: Subverted (sometimes).
- French Jerk With a Heart of Gold
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Especially as the series goes on.
- Shout-Out: A lot of his lines come from the Spy.
OVA - Dio and his underlings
- Big Bad
- Camp... something: He seemed interested in Power Girl during his auditions for a new recruit, but he was also not aroused at the slightest after taking Erina's first kiss.
- Judging by the 2012 series he's murder-sexual.
- Dystopia Justifies the Means: After dropping the oil tanker on Jotaro, Dio begins saying that he'll Take Over the World, turning it into a virtual hell on earth.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even he's disgusted when one of the comments in the Comment Special mentioned a viewer finding a man getting hooked in the head to be funny. His response?Dio: Go get therapy. Please.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Just ask N'Doul.
- Evil Brit: Well, he was British in the original source, so the accent is probably deliberate.
- Famous Last Words: "My only regret is I never got to say Wrr--"
- Make Sure He's Dead: He was going to decapitate Jotaro with a stop sign even after Jotaro stopped his breathing and heartbeat and soiled himself to convince Dio he was dead.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: He's very obviously supposed to sound like Tim Curry, which is viciously lampshaded in the Comment Special.
- Unexplained Recovery: In the "Epilouge" special, he's back, alive and well, despite exploding and being tossed into the sea. And even made a device that views alternate realities in the process.Dio: I got better.
- Verbal Tic: Refers to himself as "I, Dio". This in turn is a reference to the fact that in the Manga Dio's dialogue could be roughly translated as "this Dio".
- Villainous Breakdown: Briefly loses it when he learns that Star Plantinum can stop time.
- Americans Are Cowboys: While his origins are not mentioned in the source material, the abridged series made him a type 2 Eaglelander.
- Bad Dreams: "Oh my God. OH MY GOD!"
- Bestiality Is Depraved: His cousin, Bill Beauregard II, has been in jail for twelve years "for fuckin' a raccoon".
- Black Comedy Rape: Aforementioned dreams, which consist of the Blue Collar Comedy group raping him. At the end of the episode, they are replaced by Mr. Popo.
- Deep South: He speaks with a very thick accent reminiscent of stereotypical hicks, and mentions having eighteen bloodhounds and a cousin who had sex with a raccoon.
- Eagleland: A type 2— the uber-nationalistic boor exaggerated and Played for Laughs. He says there are only two kinds of languages: American and non-American, and tells Polnareff to "say hi to Trotsky-Hitler-Bin Laden for me!"
- Spared by the Adaptation: In Episode 5 Kakyoin says that Hol Horse is still breathing when in the OVA he's clearly dead. May be a Cruel Mercy, as he's left trapped in a dream at the "tender" mercies of Mr. Popo. Also fits the manga and the 2014 TV series, in which he did indeed survive, which makes this a case of "Spared by the adaptation of the adaptation".
- Black Comedy Rape: He raped Polnareff's sister before he killed her. Then he dressed her up like Liza Minelli and raped her again."I know, I'm fucked up like that."
- Dirty Coward: The moment that Hanged Man is destroyed, he tries to beg Polnareff for mercy. It doesn't work. The fact he insulted his sister one last time while apologizing about killing her didn't help at all.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: She desperately wants Dio. In episode two, before Dio speaks, the video gives kids a warning to leave the room before she begins describing him in sexual detail.
- Co-Dragons: With Vanilla Ice.
- Catch Phrase: "Now, I may be blind..."
- Jive Turkey
- N-Word Privileges: "Nigga, blind people can't read!"
- Uncle Tom Foolery: Milked for as much worth as possible. Antfish himself is of African descent.
- Insult Backfire: Pulls this on Avdol when he makes a crack about 9/11:Avdol: GO! FUCK YOURSELF!
D'Arby: Oh, but I did, good sir! I did fuck myself. And do you know when I did it? 9/11.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: He's pretty clearly racist against Muslims, since he often pushes Avdol's Berserk Button regarding Muslim stereotypes and 9/11.
- Ragin' Cajun: Well, he has the accent at least.
- Verbal Tic: He has a tendency to stretch out his long o's like "good" or "would". Even when he's having a mental breakdown.
- Villainous Breakdown: Just like the original.
OVA - Others
- Drawn & Voiced by LordQuadros
Phantom Blood - Main Cast
- Voiced by Antfish
- Adaptational Badass/Adaptational Wimp: A bit of both, oddly.
- In the original, young Jojo was incredibly strong, athletic, and a good boxer; Dio just happened to be even more skilled. Abridged!young Jojo only throws a single good punch when enraged, and is otherwise a complete pushover and a bit of a sissy.
- However, come the second episode, Jonathan seems to have mostly gotten over his inadequacies and in a clear display of strength casually backhands Dio through a railing off a balcony after NOT reacting when Dio sucker punches him, and Dio seems downright intimidated. In the anime, Jonathan had to tap into Unstoppable Rage and took about twice as long to knock Dio down.
- Calling Your Attacks:YELLOW WALL Ripple OVERDRIVE!SILVER ARM MELTER OVERDRIVEYELLOW INSTANT FACE-TURN OVERDRIVE!!!CITRUS REVENGE RIPPLE OVERDRIVE
- Characterization Marches On/Vocal Evolution: In the comment special, his voice was Mickey Mouse-level high pitched.
- As of the anime abridgement, he's also Antfish's most realistically (or rather, least caricatured) voiced character yet.
- Cloudcuckoolander: If his Insane Troll Logic is anything to go by.
- Combat Pragmatist: Quite frequently attacks people or runs away while they're busy talking.
- Good Old Ways: In a sense, given that he's a Nice Guy who's mannerisms and values are relatively appropriate for his time, while all the other guys his age are douchebags who embrace 21st century memes.
- Innocently Insensitive: Nonchalantly tells Dio he heard his parents are dead.
- Insane Troll Logic: Believes homosexuals cause typhoons and Batman and Jesus are one and the same, and that science will eventually prove it.
- In the Blood: He retroactively establishes that Joseph's Insane Troll Logic and Jotaro's complete ignorance of the concept of pain were inherited from Jonathan.
- The Juggernaut: The sound effect of Jonathan approaching is that of a freight-truck.
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: "Sweet [famous British person]!"
- Mr. Fanservice: He definitely seems to attract fangirls In-Universe.
- Nice Guy: In a departure from JJBATAS heroes, he has next to no asshole-moments.
- No-Nonsense Nemesis: A heroic example. Stopping in the middle of a fight to gloat is not recommended.
- Quintessential British Gentleman: Constantly reminds people that he's a gentleman. It's why Erina falls in love with him, and why Speedwagon dedicates himself to Jonathan.
- Sophisticated as Hell: "In the words of Zeppeli: Go fornicate your mother!"
- Spoiled Sweet: Although he's a bit oblivious at times.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: The end of his not quite accurate recollection of the boxing match against Dio.Jonathan: And neither of us went to our beds crying.
- Talk to the Fist: To Dio, albeit done accidentally since he was monologuing internally on both occasions, in episodes 2 and 3.Dio: Never leave yourself open, Jona—Jonathan tackles Dio through a railingDio: Seriously? Let me finish my sentences!
- Voiced by Antfish
- Berserk Button: Don't talk shit about his man-cats.
- Blatant Lies: When asked if he's seen Danny the dog recently. Cut to a frightened Danny trapped in the incinerator.".....Nope!"
- He later has Danny fed to an unsuspecting Jonathan, who is visibly shocked.
- Call Back: His briefly being haunted by the ghost of David Carradine references an earlier joke Dio made about Carradine "dying during his research.
- Call Forward: Dio is a lot less careful and through when when determining whatever someone is dead, unlike in Stardust Crusaders.
- When he's getting his blood drained, a ghostly image of David Carradine's head appears saying "Payback's a biiiitch!", referencing Steve Buscemi's later appearance
- Combat Sadomasochist: He clearly gets off on both giving and receiving pain.
- Evil Brit: Like his OVA self only slightly younger in tone
- Evil Gloating: Although only done in his head, which gets him punched by Jonathan while he does it.
- I Like My X Like I Like My Y: He likes his steak bloody and full of knives...just like his women.
- Jerkass: Even he agreed his name was a three letter word for "total dick".
- Large Ham: "I REJECT MY HUMANITY!!!"
- Trrrilling Rrrs: Does this quite a bit.
- Verbal Tic: Often uses "I, Dio", much like his OVA counterpart.
- Voiced by EileMonty
- Defiled Forever: She treats Dio's kiss as such. Erina even drinks water out of a puddle to clean her mouth out after Dio kissed her, despite being near a river. Dio's bully underlings lampshade this.
- Screaming Woman: Claims she could only speak in "kyaaah"s and "aaahh"s for seven years after Dio kissed her.
Robert E.O. Speedwagon
- Voiced by Antfish
- Camp: Speaks in a rather high Pops-esque falsetto.
- Call Forward: "I'm going to own a helicopter one day!"
- CloudCuckooLander: To put it into perspective, when asked what he wanted to do with a million dollars, he passed up the opportunity to build his own research foundation to purchase all of Candy Land. Not just the board game, but the actual place.
- Defeat Equals Friendship: He pledges his friendship and eternal loyalty to Jonathan after the latter nearly smashes his head in with a kick that was powerful yet deliberately held back. Also because Speedwagon's hat injured Jonathan's arm. Yeah.
- The Ditz: He's clueless about an insane number of things.
- Expy: He has the voice and mannerisms of Regular Show's Pops. He even says Pops' Catch Phrase at one point ("Good show!").
- The Ingenue: He displays many aspects of the trope (obliviousness, cheerfulness, constant and grating urge to be helpful, femininity), which... irritates Zeppeli to no end.
- Mad Libs Catchphrase: "Even Speedwagon is (adjective)!", "I, the ever-(adjective) Speedwagon..." and "Speedwagon (verb)s (adjective)ly!"
- Mysterious Middle Initial: If it wasn't just a general exclamation of pain, the "O" in his full name stands for "OUCH! I probably should be flossing more!"
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Nyo ho ho!
- Sarcasm-Blind: Several of Zeppeli's insults just fly over him.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: In Episode 3 when Dio comes back to life and they find what happened to the carriage driver.
- Sweet Tooth: Wants to be the "Duke King President" of Candy Land, and came rushing to the Comment Special when he heard Zeppeli say the word "glazed" because he thought he was talking about doughnuts. Even though he doesn't understand Zeppeli's last words of advice to Jonathan about taking care of Erina orally, he still gets excited whenever his innuendos involve sweets.
- Third-Person Person: His Catch Phrases.
William A. "Glazed in Bitches" Zeppeli
- Voiced by Antfish
- The Alcoholic: Only lets Speedwagon join in on the comment special after he offers him copious amounts of wine in return. It's actually purple tanning oil.
- Bond, James Bond: Introduces himself as thus to Jonathan and Erina:'Zeppeli. William A. Zeppeli.
- Calling Your Attacks: ZEPPELI KNEE!
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Tarkus bisects him, though he manages to stay alive for several more minutes.
- I Like My X Like I Like My Y: He likes his wine like he likes his women: 30 years old, in abundance, and smart enough to know when to keep their mouth shut.
- Expy: Of Sean Connery, specifically combining elements from his days playing Bond and his mentor role in Highlander. Never mind that Zeppeli is supposed to be Italian and not Scottish.
- When talking about how he likes his wine, Zeppeli even briefly mentions that if anybody, be it normal or "a man with labia flaps as wide as a manta ray" asks him about this, he feels entitled to "lay the smackdown on the bastard."
- Famous Last Words: "You're... the man now... dog."
- Groin Attack: Zeppeli is asked to do this to Speedwagon at the end of the comment special. He obliges, especially after he had just learned moments ago that the wine cellar Speedwagon bribed him with in order to stay in the comment special was actually purple tanning oil.
- Leitmotif: He has several accompanying tunes from his namesake band.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed
- Politically Incorrect Hero: Wishes Speedwagon were a woman so he could hit him.
- Sacrificial Lion: He meets his end right before Phantom Blood's endgame.
- Serial Spouse: He's had five ex-wives.
- Through His Stomach: The only way Speedwagon convinces Zeppeli to keep him on the Comment Special is to reveal the massive wine room he has. Averted in that there actually isn't any wine, just purple tanning oil.Speedwagon: You never know when you'll run into half-naked men in need of GLISTENING!
- Would Hit a Girl: He actually refuses to hit Speedwagon because the latter is not a woman. Not that it would stop him anyways.
- Your Mom: He delivers a couple to Dio when they first meet.
Phantom Blood - Supporting Cast
- Voiced by hbi2k
- The Alcoholic: "It's almost scotch o'clock!"
- Badass Mustache: "You have saved me and my mustache's life, good sir!"
- Berserk Button: Don't say beef is "just okay", it'll lead to a tirade on how he's only good at steak, and if you suggest to have something else, "I think you should leave the table"!
- British Stuffiness
- Bumbling Dad: When his steak fetish isn't on.
- Catch Phrase: "How do you like your steak?"
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: For one thing, he's got a fixation on steak.
- Dramatic Gun Cock: When the butler said he was a vegetarian.
- Ironic Hell: Doesn't believe in Heaven and Hell, but he does believe in reincarnation and karma. So of course, after a lifetime of murdering cattle, he gets reincarnated as a bull.
- One-Note Cook: Seems like barbeque and grilled cheese steak are the extent of George's cooking abilities.
- Real Men Eat Meat: Not to mention they get said meat by killing a cow in front of her children so they grow up filled with vengeance and tasting just as good if not better!George: I want what I eat to have had a mother, dammit!
- Tranquil Fury: "I think you should leave the table!"
- Voiced by LittleKuriboh
- Adam Westing: LittleKuriboh plays a character who's about to be "suspended", then comes back after a while. Ring any bells?
- Adaptational Heroism: Downplayed. He's still greedy and tried to loot George Joestar's body, but there's no mention of him being abusive or cruel. In fact, Dio's behavior and dialogue in both series suggest he killed him for no reason. Whether this will remain the case has yet to be seen.
- Buried Alive: In this version.
Jack The Ripper
- Voiced by Jessi "Nowacking" Nowack
- Take That!: To bronies.
Poco A.K.A British Tom Sawyer
- Voiced by Sarifus
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His name in the original series is Poco, but he's addressed and credited as "British Tom Sawyer".
- Circling Birdies: Only the birds are rafts set to the sound of banjos.
- Tagalong Kid
- Voiced by Lanipator
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: More of an Arrogant Prehensile Hair Guy, but he feels a "parasite" like Jonathan can't stand up to him.
- Barbarian Longhair: "IT'S MY ONLY GIMMICK!!"
- Expy/Shout-Out: Is one to Chris Jericho.
- Heel–Face Turn: Just like in the original series, when Jonathan defeats him. All the more notable because of who he's an Expy of; Jonathan even says he brought Bruford's "noble Lionheart" back.
- Incoming Ham: "WE ARE THE GREATEST TAG-TEAM OF THE 16TH CENTURY!"
- No Indoor Voice: Being a wrestling parody, it's a given that half his dialogue would require all-caps.
- Voiced by Takahata 101
- Catch Phrase: Has a habit of belting out the "WEEEEEELLLLLLLLL" from the Big Show's theme song.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Compared to his partner, Tarkus has a much deeper voice and doesn't undergo a Heel–Face Turn.
- Though when he's about to die, his voice gets higher pitched and starts noticeably cracking.
- Famous Last Words: "But I was oveeeerrr."
- Expy/Shout-Out: Is one to the Big Show.