Video Game: Live Powerful Pro Baseball
Jikkyou Pawafuru Puroyakyū
Let's play baseball!: MLB Power Pros
is a Japanese baseball game series which has been created by Konami
and developed by The Diamond Head company ever since 1994. It is one of the most long running sport series with a lot of spinoffs in Japan while the series is barely known in America. The series is known for the unique character design. The character used in this game have short, small, big head
, no nose, no mouth and no leg. Another feature the series is famous for is the unique "Success Mode"
, which is a game mode where you create your own character, advance through anime-ish story, develop his baseball stats and finally get to use him freely after you've complete the Success Mode. MLB Power Pros
is the only of series that has been translated into English. They use teams from Major League instead of the usual NPB teams.
It has appeared in two Konami crossovers, Konami Krazy Racers
and DreamMix TV World Fighters
The trope used in this series are:
- The Ace: No doubt, you have to become one.
- Butt Monkey: Both you and the your best friend partner. See Heterosexual Life Partners below.
- Chew Toy: Marvin. You can choose to drag him into you affair for comedic results, mostly of them anyway.
- Darker and Edgier There are some Success modes that are lots more darker than the others even if they're from the same title. MLB Power Pros 2009 also had it darker and more dramatic than the prequel.
- Dating Sim: Since Pawapuro 4, you can date one of the girls who appear in the story.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: There gotta be that guy with huge eyeglasses on his face who'll be your best friend and/or your room mate.
- Insistent Terminology: The spine labels for the PS1 installments romanizes the word Pawafuru as it is, despite the fact that Pawafuru is simply a Japanese transliteration of the word "Powerful".
- Luck-Based Mission: Any success mode because of the random chances to get bonus, items, injury, extremely bad luck, and fatigue that ruins your entire career. Some games delete your save file if you get a game over.
- Ordinary High-School Student: Or college student, depending on the games.
- Overprotective Dad: Becky's father, the Major League scout
- Save Game Limits: The Success mode, a painful one on the GBA games.
- Super-Deformed: short, big head, no nose, no mouth, no arm, and no leg.
- Tsundere: Becky
- Victorious Childhood Friend / Unlucky Childhood Friend: Becky Fox, depend on whatever you woo her or not.
- Visual Novel: The Success Mode, a rare case you'll see your character on screen.
- Widget Series