The NBA 2K
series are the most popular franchise of video games based on basketball. The series started life as the exclusive basketball title for the Sega Dreamcast
, but later appeared on other consoles starting with NBA 2K2
. It's since surpassed EA Sports's NBA Live
series, to the point, where NBA Elite
, a planned refresh of the Live
franchise was canned.
The NBA 2K series provides examples of:
- And Now For Something Completely Different: The "My Player" mode in recent titles, where you control nearly every aspect of your player's basketball career.
- Announcer Chatter: Which has been praised by fans as being downright realistic and actually pretty accurate to how commentary on any given NBA game would sound like.
- Cash Cow Franchise: It's the pre-eminent NBA simulation franchise on the market right now.
- Dueling Games: With EA's NBA Live/Elite series.
- Guest Player(s): NBA 2K12 features some of the game's biggest legends like Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, and even Jerry West (the player whose silhouette is represented in the NBA logo).
- Past 2K games also had legends in them, but only for exhibition use; 2K11 and 12 hit paydirt with modes specifically built around recreating historical matches between classic squads.
- Long Runner: The first game was released in November 1999, and it's still going very, very strong, even surpassing EA's long-running series of NBA games.
- Mission Pack Sequel: Though there are frequently plenty enough improvements with each passing game to make it more different than the previous year's edition.
- Shown Their Work: As stated before, the game has some impressively realistic commentary, which is a refresher from other sports games that has repetitive commentary. As well as the other work involved in the game such as the progress of your player reflected by their performance on court and what to improve on, 2K11 was downright eerie in the work put in, from Sirius playing to Jordan slapping powder in front of Jerry Krause to commentary that would have you fooled into thinking it's an actual broadcast. 2K14 takes this Up to Eleven, your created player's performance rated down to performance in interviews and online fan reaction is impressive, but where it gets to almost a Big Brother Is Watching level is through Kinect. It listens for play calling, picks, ect, however if you swear the Kinect and in turn the referee will hear and you will be called for a technical foul. Holy crap!
- Sports Game
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: The other negative in using bad language, in that after the technical is called you and your team slide in a big way and the opponents step up their game like it was game seven of the finals, fourth quarter, scores are tied. In other words the game makes you pay for the technical by ramping up the difficulty to insane levels.