Video Game: Nicktoons MLB
is a baseball game for the Xbox 360
, and 3DS
. that features both Nickelodeon
and real life MLB
players. It was developed by High Voltage Software*
and published by Two K Play
. It is pretty much a Spiritual Successor
to 2K Games
' arcade baseball game The Bigs
, to the point that it actually runs on The Bigs
The game features all 30 MLB teams and the following 23 Nicktoons characters* :
Here's the trailer for those who are interested.
- From Sponge Bob Square Pants: SpongeBob SquarePants, Patrick Star, Sandy Cheeks, Larry Lobster, Flying Dutchman
- From Danny Phantom: Danny Phantom
- From T.U.F.F. Puppy: Dudley Puppy, Kitty Katswell
- From The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron and Planet Sheen: Jimmy Neutronnote , Sheen Estevez, Nesmith, Ultra Lord
- From Fanboy and Chum Chum: Fanboy, Chum Chum
- From Avatar: The Last Airbender: Aang, Katara, Toph, Prince Zuko
- From Invader Zim: Invader Zim, Gaz
- From The Ren & Stimpy Show: Ren Hoek, Stimpy, Powdered Toast Man, Yak
- From Monkey Quest: Hiro Mightypawnote
This game provides examples of the following tropes:
- Announcer Chatter: Brought to you by Perch Perkins and GIR!
- Ascended Extra: Jimmy Neutron cameos on a loading screen in the Wii/360 versions, before becoming playable in the 3DS version.
- Backstory: The baseball cards for all the playable Nicktoons have a short explanation of what brought them to the game or what they are currently doing.
- The Cameo: Many of the Nicktoons from the represented series who didn't make the roster appear on in-game baseball cards. Other Nicktoons characters whose series didn't make the cut, period, appear on the loading screens.
- Continuity Nod:
- One of the ads that can be seen in some of the stadiums says "Chum is Fum", a reference to the Sponge Bob Square Pants episode "Chum Bucket Supreme".
- When Dudley hits a turbo pitch, he frightfully asks "Was that thunder?", a reference to his fear of thunder in the T.U.F.F. Puppy episode "Thunder Dog".
- Cool Versus Awesome: The perfect game for a boy who likes Nickelodeon and his MLB-loving dad. Or the perfect game for anyone of any age who loves both Nicktoons and Baseball.
- Elemental Powers: As expected by the Four Element Ensemble of Avatar: The Last Airbender characters, whose hits and pitches cover the ball in their respective element. They also bend in their intros.
- Everything's Better with Rainbows: SpongeBob's hits and pitches cover the ball in bubbles, with a trailing rainbow.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: You can play baseball with Zim and The Flying Dutchman!
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The baseball cards.
- Ground-Shattering Landing: Ultra Lord's intro.
- Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels: The three difficulties in order of easiest to hardest are Rookie, Pro and All-Star.
- Lazy Artist: Almost all of the baseball cards reuse already existing artwork of the characters featured. This is also true for some of the characters who make cameos on the loading screens.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Gaz:
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover
- Off Model:
- Ren, which could be Fridge Brilliance considering how John Kricfalusi preferred his works to be Off Model.
- SpongeBob looks more like a guy in a mascot costume.
- Danny looks incredibly strange despite the upgrade in graphics. This is probably due to his show's art style being hard to translate to 3D though.
- Dudley's mouth looks rather... creepy. Again, this is because his mouth in his show wouldn't translate well to 3D.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: One of the game's more interesting aspects.
- Say My Name: Subverted. Characters will say their own name when you select them on the character select, but they don't shout it. Also, Ultra Lord sometimes says "Ultra Lord!" (but not to loudly) when there is about to be a turbo pitch.
- Sliding Scale of Silliness Versus Seriousness: The game takes itself pretty seriously despite the concept. Except for the commentary.
- Spiritual Successor: As mentioned above. This may be due to The Bigs developer Blue Castle Games becoming Capcom Vancouver and thus unable to work with 2K ever again.
- Suckiness Is Painful: One of the loading screens features Squidward playing the clarinet and Jimmy Neutron singing, with some MLB players and Nicktoons holding their ears in pain.
- Unexpected Character: Larry Lobster, Flying Dutchman, Gaz, Powdered Toast Man and Yak. Hiro Mightypaw in the 3DS version.
- Video Game Settings: