Suspiciously Specific Denial: Fan Works
Axis Powers Hetalia
- In the AU Hell to Pay, there's a moment of this after Alfred and Arthur finish going on a date, and the former calls Kiku.
Alfred: Yo, Kiku.Kiku: I-I did not take any pictures.Alfred: …what? Why would you?Kiku: …your date went well then?Alfred: Yeah, hold up, what was that about pictures—?
- AA Pessimal's short story the Pinky-Swear expands on a Suspiciously Specific Denial made by Bernadette in-canon. The story refers to an outbreak of a certain epidemic in Africa and wonders out loud if Bernadette's famously relaxed attitude to lab discipline (with Amy's inadvertent connivance) might have somehow contributed. And the pressing need for a pinky-swear binding all parties, never to speak of this incident ever again, so long as we both shall live, amen.
- In Hogyoku Ex Machina, the characters are able to project holograms of a person's memories. When presented with the Applied Phlebotinum needed to do this:
Ishida: Would it modify Ichigo's memories in any way?Mayuri: It is perfectly safe! Only the first test subjects went insane!Ichigo: Um...
- Please Stop Eating The Hell Butterflies has this note to Aizen.
Our plans to counter you do not involve zombies. You should not be taking steps to counter zombies. There will be no zombies. This is not a Zombie Apocalypse. We did not get the idea from Kuchiki Rukia's movie night. Kurotsuchi-taicho is not working on a virus to turn otherwise healthy beings into flesh-eating, brain-craving horrors. There are no zombies involved. Zombies do not exist. There will be no zombies. This is not a suspiciously specific denial.
- Exaggerated in Calvin and Hobbes: The Series:
Radio Shack employee: Welcome to Radio Shack. How may I help you?
- There is no such thing as the Special Services in Aeon Natum Engel.
- Hanyuu in Kyon Big Damn Hero follows Kyon when he's bathing only because she's worried about him. She has no ulterior motive to keep an eye on him, or admire his surprisingly toned physique as he patiently watches over one of his younger cousins. She's just ensuring he was okay, unhurt after the mysterious events, and that's the only reason she's staring at him so closely!
- Kanae didn't slide into Kyon's bed intentionally, nor did she do anything with him while sleeping there. Subverted, because Haruhi believes her (as Kanae was telling the truth) though she can't help but to lampshade it.
- When Team Mario meets up with Team Luigi in chapter 64 of Paper Mario X 2, Luigi finishes his backstory with "…and so we stopped here for a rest after NOT seeing Bowser, Eggman, and Ganondorf randomly head to the east area!"
- In Thinking In Little Green Boxes, in order to keep Deadpool's cover, Harry has The Daily Prophet run a story entitled "Wonder-Mutant-Dad is most certainly NOT the new janitor at Hogwarts."
- Turnabout Storm: Apple Bloom claims in her testimony that she heard a lightning bolt while in the forest, and says that it definitely didn't scare her. Phoenix catches wind of this and presses further, revealing more information in the process.
- Much later, after the trial is over, Trixie is invited to one of Pinkie Pie's impromptu parties. She adamantly declares several times that she does not want to attend, stating that she's only doing so as a punishment. Her expression at several points gives lie to her words, however.
- In Unfamiliar, Siesta does this with regards to not speaking ill about Count Mott. It's also inverted, however, when Kirche notes a lack of denial about Alex being a plaguebearer.
- In Legacy Flynn is very specific that he's not an "axe" murderer. Hatchets? Hidden blades and other tools? that's a different story
- Justice League of Equestria; in Princess of Themyscira, Twilight has a moment where she is debating whether or not to put onthe Helm of Nabu. When Spike walks in to get her attention:
"I wasn’t going to put on the Evil Artifacts of Doom!"
- Inverted in Floating Hands' Countdown To Infinite Crisis, in which Blue Beetle concludes Batman is hiding something from him because of Batman's Suspiciously Existent Denial that anything's wrong.
Blue Beetle: When there's really nothing wrong you always say stuff like "There's always something wrong in Gotham!" or "Is anything ever right in this world?" Am I right?Batman: ... I hate you...
- Teen Titans The Abridged Series: Starfire says she uses happy thoughts to fly. Raven asks what she thinks of and Starfire says she thinks of Robin. Raven asks if she means her friendship with Robin. Starfire says that's it, and nothing else, and certainly nothing involving chains and hot wax.
- In All You Need Is Love, Light calls an informal meeting with L and Naomi Misora to tell them that Kira texted him for advice in the case of say he might have uh, "misplaced" a Death Note... so what should we do about it?
L: Light-kun, it's already obvious that you're Kira.Light: No, I'm not Kira... And you look like a meth addict so no one will ever believe you.
- In A Charmed Life Light claims in his inner monologue that he doesn't miss L or even think of him... and then he takes the time to send L postcards and taunting e-mails.
- A Cure for Love: Just so you all know Light is "not gay" and "not Kira." Also Light keeps making up excuses as to why it would be bad to kill L now or why it would be advantageous to save his life and at one point when Light considers resuming his search for L he insists it's not because he misses him but just because he wants his crappy CD player back. It's the Principle of the Thing.
- Light and Dark The Adventures of Dark Yagami - Dark is not gay. The author want to make this very clear:
Light’s parents had made light’s bed into a double bed (I know what your thinking sickos no theres no slash!)Light and Dark were in bed together but only because there parents were to poor to get separate rooms its not like their gay or anything!he loved Dark which maybe he did a little but not really cos Darks not gay!!!! SERIOUSLY"I am not gay" Darksaid because the readers at home might think so other ways."Where did you get him he is very hansom!" dark said but only because he was a clone of him HES NOT GAY."
- Seigikan: Nope, no narcissistic complex here:
Light: Of course, I kept up the appearance of being the perfect specimen. I was smart, personable, and damn sexy. Oh no, there's no narcissistic complex here—it's just another statement of facts; my genetics were damn good.
- Also Light becomes obsessed about winning in the seductive game he's playing with L even though he frequently claims that L disgusts him.
- In the AU Those Who Stand for Nothing Fall for Anything L realizes that Light really is in love with him when L leaves and Light tells him he never loved him anyway.
- In a fanfic series expanding Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, author AA Pessimal would like to formally deny that the country of Rimwards Howondaland has anything at all to do with the Republic of South Africa in the old apartheid days. Even if apartheid is such a crazy concept it might as well have originated on TP's mirror-world. (Discworld apartheid is currently being tested by immigrant Igors, who have a terrible habit of attaching body parts originating with black people onto whites who need an upgrade. The Rimwards Howandalandian Staadt is still trying to racially classify the results of Igor interventions.)
- Nor does the Vondalaans language have anything other than superficial similarities to Afrikaans. It is simply the original language of Sto Kerrig, a Discworld nation justly famed for tulips, clogs, windmills and that cheese with the red outer rind note , transplanted to Howondaland, with white settlers from SK. Right?
- And Sto Kerrig is not Holland either, despite the tulips, and the unmistakeable fact that neighbouring Sto Lat is, like Luxembourg, a Grand Duchy, while Sto Helit (like Belgium) grows lots of sprouts and cabbages. Now go to The Black Sheep, and read on...
- Howondaland is perhaps, in the best Discworld tradition, a place for characters in the ongoing story to come from...
- Dragon Ball Abridged, regarding Planet Vegeta's fate: "Stupid monkeys hit by falling rocks. (not deathball thrown by Freeza)"
- Also used by Gohan to try to hide his dragon radar from Vegeta:
Vegeta: Stupid-looking watch you got there.
Gohan: Yes. It tells time. And nothing else.
- Lampshade Hanging when Vegeta tries to get Krillin to jumpstart his Came Back Strong.
Vegeta: I need you to, AND FOLLOW ME ON THIS ONE... almost kill me.
Krillin: Almost ...kill you?
Krillin: ...And there's no repercussion for this?
Vegeta: (beat) I will not punch you.
Krillin: Oddly specific.
- Also used by Gohan to try to hide his dragon radar from Vegeta:
- In the lemon fic White Chrismas, Harry briefly pretends to be seduced by a succubus in order to protect Molly from her, and thoughtfully informs us that:
...my hands [roamed] her body to sell the act and for no other reason.
- The Chosen Four:
- Everdread has a bunch of bags stored in his house. All of them are labeled "Not Stolen".
- He also gives Ness and Paula a wad of bills (following the game's plot) and he tells it is most certainly not stolen twice, out of nowhere.
- The girl in the Twoson Theater greets Ness and Paula saying: "Hi! I am a stalker not at all!"
- Shroom informs the heroes he is definitely not suspicious.
- In Summer 2010, Kurt's dad gives Finn a summer job at his garage. Kurt gives him a pair of overalls and says that they should fit since the last guy who wore them was about Finn's size.
Finn: Uh. Should I ask what happened to the last guy?Kurt: I didn't sell his kidneys on the black market, if that's what you're worried about.Finn: Huh. I really wasn't until just now.
- First Impressions: Murdoc Niccals is accused of ordering Noodle as a mail-order bride, and insists that "I got my limits, okay, fatarse? I don't do little kids or coma patients, and for the record that thing with the cat was taken entirely out of context!" The "little kids" part is presumably entirely true. The "Suspiciously Specific" part is because coma patients had not been previously mentioned, so 2D is naturally suspicious. Technically Murdoc's telling the truth. No more details about the cat thing, though. Also, earlier on, Murdoc ropes 2D into helping him kidnap Russel. When Russel notices that 2D is nervous and asks if he's okay, 2D responds with "Oh yeah, I'm fine, and I'm doin' absolutely nothing suspicious at all!"
- In Hand-Delivered Letter Dumbledore shows up at the Tonks' and Nymphadora blurts out "If this is about the case of dungbombs that was set off in the dungeons last year, I had nothing to do with it..."
- Hogwarts Exposed: nudity has nothing to do with sex, and in case you don't believe us we'll keep bringing up sex in relation to nudity over and over again in the course of the next 700,000 words.
- From the opening of the How It Should Have Ended parody of Harry Potter, quoth Dumbledore, "Welcome, everyone, to Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft, a place, I assure you, is safe for children, and has absolutely no history that might threaten our entire existence."
- In Luna's Hubby Luna asks her father how a broom works and when he wants to know why replies "It's not so that I can use it to fly out to find Harry Potter."
- In The Revenge of Lord Vodkamort by Lizbee (which was written pre-HBP), Draco is defending his actions during the final battle to Snape:
Snape: Well, you did declare your loyalty to Hogwarts and the Ministry rather late in the day.
Draco: I didn't know that Voldemort had already been defeated.
Snape: You spent the previous half-hour hexing parties on both sides of the conflict, while making your way towards the Forbidden Forest.
Draco: Alright, I may have been moving in a Forest-related direction. But that hardly means that I was planning to flee to the south of France to spend my life and remaining fortune drinking cocktails in the company of nubile Veelas.
Snape: Of course not.
- In The Time It Took, Harry breaks up with a guy named Roger because he saw him kissing a woman. Later, Roger shows up drunk at Harry's apartment while Ron is there, leading to this conversation:
Roger: I might have a problem with women, but it didn't mean that—
Harry: You also told me you didn't drink.
Roger: Fuck you! I am not an alcoholic.
Ron: No one said you were, mate, but if you're bringing it up, what are we supposed to believe?
- A Very Potter Musical:
Draco Malfoy: You know who the last girl I'd ever ask to the Yule Ball would be? That Hermione Granger. Not even if we were the last two people on Earth and she looked stunning in her ball gown so that every time I looked at her I got butterflies in my tummy. Not even then.
- "You might think I'm a slut but I'm really not."
- Episode 9 of The Abridging of Haruhi Suzumiya has this.
Man: If you excuse me, I need to do some important work upstairs. And that's all.
(cue onscreen text) [ This is what happens when you let Zeromaster improv his lines... o3o ]
Man: Nothing suspicious about that. Definitely not downloading porn. Nope, just me doing work upstairs. That's about it.
Kyon: Okay, he is so up to something.
- From Option 4 by Vex The Warlord:
She had to be cool, composed..."I assure you that I am not entering into any sort of perverse alien redrom situation involving multiple matesprits!" It was the perfect lie.
Kanaya stared at Karkat for several tense moments, watching as he began to believe her clever lie.
"WHAT?!" Karkat shouted suddenly, his voice loud and filled with equal parts confusion, shock, incredulousness and more shock. Clearly he did not read the part about it being the perfect lie.
- The author of the Deconstruction Fic Renegade Reinterpretations would like you to know that the extranet's largest MMO, Galaxy of Fantasy, which claims influences from Turian Mythology, totally doesn't have in-game groups analogous to all the significant species. It was totally not inspired to start a new period of in-game plot development by having the in-game race that was totally not the Batarians instigate a threat to the entire in-game world that is totally not the Galaxy by summoning a terrible, all-destroying presence that is totally not Humanity from the nether-realm that then turned on them and nearly destroyed the world. Really. And the fact that over 95% of Human players sign up as that faction for their first character when it later became playable is just a coincidence as well.
- Twilight's List has Rainbow Dash engaging in this constantly when she's nervous or excited, because she doesn't GET nervous or excited, really! She even does this in her inner monologues, denying how she is feeling even as she shows visible outward signs of it.
- Progress has several examples from Princess Luna:
- When asked if she's still hung up over having been Nightmare Moon: "I'm not thinking about it or worried over it and she doesn't appear in my dreams!"
- When trying to keep her identity a secret: "This is not at all an elaborate deception to conceal anything."
- And again, reassuring everyone that her fake identity is in fact real: "Y-Yes! A perfectly normal librarian who is not in any way, shape or form Princess Luna so nopony needs to feel embarrassed for any behavior they may have committed!"
- And in a fan-written chapter, Celestia most certainly was not considering getting her guards to sex up Luna.
- In My Little Pony: Camaraderie Is Supernatural, Princess Celestia's letter sending Twilight to Ponyville includes the post-script "This totally isn't a thinly-veiled Batman Gambit to prevent the impeding pony apocalypse. For serious."
- The Lemony Narrator of Equestria: A History Revealed seems to feel the need to specifically point out that her biography of King Sombra was not at all copied off from Ponipedia. She still italicizes the source like it was properly cited though, bringing it to even greater attention.
- In Flutterspy, a Not My Driver situation results in Rarity and Fluttershy's carriage almost being hijacked by an evil ninja until a secret agent saves them, with Fluttershy mixed up in all the chaos. When Rarity asks what all the ruckus was about, Fluttershy assures her that "Absolutely no ninja fights happened on top of the carriage."
- One Naruto short story has Anko accidentally mention secreting poison. When Sarutobi points out that he thought she said she coated her breasts with poison, Anko quickly agrees.
Anko: "Yes, of course. It's not like I secrete poison from my nipples or anything! That'd be silly."
- This is done seriously in A Teachers Glory at one point. Despite being Dark Is Not Evil, the Aburame Clan has a bad reputation. They've been accused of feeding their own children to bugs before, so one immediately denies it when Naruto happens across a related subject.
- In Vapors there is an international, kunoichi-only diplomacy meeting that includes a hot springs. The Mizukage reveals she has Anbu tasked with keeping Jiraiya and all suspicious frogs out of the city limits. Tsunade brings up that Jiraiya doesn't want to peep on his god-daughter Aiko, who is also present. Aiko objects to being used as pervert-deterrent but Yugito (who Aiko humiliated in a fight a few chapters previously) says:
“Uzumaki, you’re a buzz-kill. I think in punishment, you should be used to ward off Jiraiya. That statement is not merely motivated by self-interest or personal dislike.”
- A Little Angel On My Shoulder: After a phone call, Zeruel looks upset and Matarael asks if he is all right:
Zeruel: "Y-YES. I AM FINE. WE ARE FINE. WE CERTAINLY DID NOT JUST GET A CALL ABOUT OUR IMMINENT DEATHS."
- Last Child of Krypton: In chapter 6 of the Redux Asuka runs into Shinji at the arcade and he leaves shortly after. Later he is not in home and she goes back to the arcade and starts looking everywhere. Pointedly and out of nowhere she thinks: "There was one thing she wasn't doing at all, which was looking for Shinji."
- Neon Genesis Evangelion: Senshi no Michi: In episode 4 Misato has picked up Shinji and Asuka and is driving them to Nerv for first time:
Misato:"We just have to show you two a few things before you can get a decent night's sleep. Sorry."Asuka:"A few things?"Misato:"Just a few things at NERV. I haven't been told yet, we'll find out when we get there. Don't worry, it's nothing bad, or strange…"Asuka:"I never said that it might be."
- Nobody Dies: It has had a couple:
- Such as the Ree (clones of Rei) talking to canon!Shinji: "And we're totally not eight clones of your mother." "Seriously."
- Then there's when Asuka offhandedly mentions to Kaworu that Uriel (Kaworu's sort-of clone) is an Angel now, Kaworu quickly replies "Really? I'm not." Asuka is suspicious but doesn't say anything.
- RE-TAKE pulls one off: after killing Arael, Shinji is called into the infirmary to determine whether he suffered mental contamination or not. When asked whether he's seeing things that should not be there, he looked at the vision of Future!Asuka sneering at him and said that he doesn't see anybody. Notice the slip-up? Misato does too.
Hyuga: What happened, Major? Shinji said he didn't see anythin—
Misato: Wrong. He said anybody. Replying to a question about ''things'' with any''body'' means he's seeing someone and he's trying to cover it up.
- In this 4koma, Teru denies that Saki is her younger sister, only to be overwhelmed with rage when recalling having her breasts made fun of. A one with a similar punchline is here.
Teru: I don't have a sister that would tell me things like "let's graduate from A-cup" or "Onee-chan's boobs aren't worth fondling!" GARR!!!Reporter: So she is your sister.
- In Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, Alex Brisbane's first line to the gang is: "My name is Dr Alex Brisbane, and I'm definitely not a villain." He continues to say this throughout, even when talking about his evil schemes.
- In the beginning of the Duelist Kingdom tournament, Pegasus assures the contestants that "this tournament is 100% genuine, and is not in any way an elaborate ruse thrown together at the last minute so that I can get my hands on an Ancient Egyptian artifact."
- In "The Other Abridged Movie", we see that Seto Kaiba has "cameras all over Japan" and uses them to spy on Yugi to be always "one step ahead". Even when Yugi is in the shower. When they duel, we get this exchange:
Kaiba: When I'm through with you, you'll going to have to take a shower to wash away the smell of defeat! And I won't be watching you do it!
Yugi: ...why would you be watching me?
Kaiba: I don't know. I just wanted you to make sure you knew I wouldn't be.
Yugi: But I never thought...
Kaiba: Good! Because I won't!
Yugi: ... why would I think that you'd be watching...?
Kaiba: I dunno.
Yugi: ... OK...
- This one speaks for itself:
Mai: So, Joey, about that dream you had—
Joey: I was not wearing a dog suit, and I was not having dream sex with Kaiba!
- "Attention, duelists! My hair is definitely not leading you into a trap!"
- Marik: "I am Malik Blishtar, in no way related to Marik Ishtar!"
- Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged: Hiei in part three of the movie. It is, of course, lampshaded by Kurama.
Hiei: Well I didn't float here downriver if that's what you're asking.Kurama: Nobody insinuated that, Hiei.Hiei: Good, because that's not what happened!
Yusuke: What are you doing this for, anyway? Isn't this supposed to be Botan's thing?Hiei: I'm not hurting for work, I don't know what you're talking about.Yusuke: ...good to hear, I guess...
- Episode 20 was well (Hiei again)