Web Video: The Abridging of Haruhi Suzumiya
"I'm Haruhi Suzumiya, and my goal this year is to make the ultimate abridged series!"The Abridging of Haruhi Suzumiya
, by FullmetalChao
, is an abridged series
of the Haruhi Suzumiya
anime. Much of the humor in this abridged series consists of mercilessly hanging a lampshade
on all the tropes in the show, which is effective since the original anime was pretty troperiffic
to begin with. It also includes some clever reinterpretations of the characters, such as making Yuki a Scary Black Man
, and Itsuki a child molester.
Kyon, in this series, first meets Haruhi when she introduces herself to the class and announces that she aims to create the best abridged series ever. She then drags him along with her and forces him to help her with her project, starting by grouping together some other students to do voice work. Thus the SOS Brig-er, Evil Cookies Club is born.
FullmetalChao announced that the series would be put on a hiatus. A month after that on November 6th 2009, it came back where it left off. Indicated at the beginning of Episode 10, he explained it was because he was working on his Arcade Gamer Fubuki
one-shot, and was finally finished... when his computer crashed. As of June 2010, he has finished abridging the first season (except Episode 00/11, which he refuses to touch). Seven months after the season finale, he decided to call quits on the series - stating it would be a satire as opposed to an Abridged Series in his eyes, had he chose to make fun of Season 2, and that he didn't want to mock The Movie
. However, he has announced that short parodies and one shot videos with the characters will continue under the title Haruhi MENT.
However in June 2012, he began to upload abridgements of Season 2.
This work contains examples of:
- AcCENT Upon The Wrong SylLABle: The first three or so episodes has characters refer to Haruhi and Mikuru as "HaRUhi" and "MiKUru".
- The latter is normal in English speech (the real dub does it despite pretty good pronunciations on every other name in the series), the former is not. Although, since Japanese accents with change in pitch rather than emphasis, any English accenting would be a necessary error of pragmatic translation.
- Actor Allusion: One in episodes 9 and 10 (it's rather poor though), and one in episode 11.
: * some of Vash's dialogue from Trigun
: This guy has no future in voice acting. [cue pause: We luv you JYB
- Ambiguously Gay: Itsuki was this in the original series, but the abridged series takes the "ambiguously" part out.
Itsuki: Now let me just take your hand...
Kyon: We get it, you're gay!
Itsuki: Man, I guess you figured it out... I'm gay.
Kyon: I was talking about the fact that you're an esper.
Itsuki: Oh yeah, that too...
- Badass Baritone: Yuki.
- Bad Bad Acting: Kyon's made up flashback in episode six.
- Bittersweet Ending: His send-off video, announcing the official cancellation, moved lots of fans.
- Black Comedy Rape
Haruhi: Note that the remainder of this episode will be shown in Implied Rape-o-vision!
- Blah Blah Blah: From episode three, when Yuki and Mikuru tell Kyon their backstories, and also in episode four.
Cue Onscreen Text: [What Kyon Hears]
Haruhi: Blah, blah, blah. I'm a selfish jerk. Blah, blah, blah. Pay attention to me. Blah, blah, blah. I have delusions of godhood.
Kyon: Aaand delete [all the pictures of Mikuru].
Haruhi: Hey! That blackmail belongs to me!
Kyon: No. I refuse to be over-emasculated by a woman any longer.
Cue Text: [What Haruhi Hears]
Blah, blah, blah. I refuse to listen to what you say. Blah, blah, blah. I'm here to ruin your fun. Blah, blah, blah. I love plot.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In Episode 13.
Haruhi: Any second aaaand... excellent! He's gone! Now, to break out the chains, whips, and the nuclear powered sombreros!
Mikuru: Wait! What was that last one?!
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Naturally.
Kyon: So, how are you today?
Mikuru: The camera is zoomed in on my face meaning I have something important to say!
Kyon: ...Stop ruining the moment.
- And in the last episode, Haruhi declares that she had broken through the fourth wall when Kyon notices that the umbrella belongs to...
Kyon: Wait a minute... "Property of FullmetalChao. If found, please return back". You stole this from our writer and editor -
Haruhi: I HAVE GONE THROUGH THE FOURTH WALL!!!
Kyon: And you brought back an umbrella.
- Brick Joke: Partway through episode 7, the announcer mentions Haruhi has a fondness for kittens. Then, at the end:
Kyon: Did I mention that I bought you a kitten?
Haruhi: I'm happy now!
- Calling Your Attacks: "POT PRISM POWER!"
- Casanova Wannabe: Kyon, though he refuses to admit it.
Yuki: Cracka, this isn't hentai.You're not gonna get laid.
Kyon: I'm gonna ignorantly ignore that statement.
- Catch Phrase: Yuki's "bitch", and "cracka".
Haruhi: "It must be hackers."
Yuki: "Or crackas."
- Itsuki's "Lulz".
- Kyon's "I hate you all."
- Also, in response to Itsuki's personal space invasion, "Restraining orderrr..."
- Chainsaw Good: Episode 3. Twice.
Haruhi: Yuki! Get my rusty chainsaw.
*chainsaw revs up*
Narrator: One Chase Scene Later...
Kyon: YUKI! LEAVE!
Haruhi: LATE! CHAINSAW!
- Cluster Bleep Bomb: After Haruhi gets busted for handing out flyers in a Playboy Bunny costume, she uses one of these.
- And another one in the next episode, after they draw toothpicks for the second time and she and Kyon end up on separate teams once again.
- Combat Pragmatist: In Episode Four when Yuki shoots Ryoko offscreen with a shotgun.
- Combat Tentacles
Ryoko: Now... tentacles, anyone?
- Creepy Monotone: Ryoko.
- Curse Cut Short: The intro to Episode seven.
- Dancing Theme: "Sex bomb, sex bomb, you're a sex bomb!"
- Deadpan Snarker: Kyon, even more than he was originally.
- Deus ex Machina: Kyon says this trope when giving the message to Yuki in order to return to the present.
- Dissonant Serenity
Ryoko: I'm sorry, but there's no escape. That is... not until your guts are splattered against the wall!
- Expy - Most of the characters in FullmetalChao's 07-Ghost Abridged (Abridged) video are expies of the Haruhi Abridged characters.
- Faux Affably Evil: Ryoko.
- Flanderization: Mikuru's high-pitched voice is deliberately exaggerated to the point where it's almost impossible to understand what she's saying half the time.
- Hello Male Nurse
- It's All About Me: Tsuruya's a main character. Treat her like a god.
- Kick the Dog: Haruhi deliberately aims at Mikuru's head when practicing baseball, trying to "decapitate" her, in episode seven.
- Lolicon: Itsuki.
Yeah, Itsuki? This is Zeromaster: Yui's
Cue Onscreen Text: [This Implies Itsuki is a Child Molester]
Stop sending your messages on her phone, or I'll get a restraining order.
- Magical Girl: Itsuki "Sailor Pothead" Koizumi.
Smoking weed by moonlight
Never running from a real fight
- MMORPGs: World of Warcraft is referenced occasionally, and Kyon is seen trying to play it at one point.
- When Haruhi accepts the computer club's challenge in episode 12, Yuki decides she would rather go home and play Mabinogi.
- Oh God, with the Verbing!: "Oh, sweet God, with the running!"
- Plot Device:
Yuki: Here, have a plot device.
- Plot Hole:
Kyon: Dear God, This plot is like Swiss cheese!
- Reality Warper
Yuki: Cracka, I have officially haxxored the universe.
Kyon: Wait, you mean...
Yuki: Action Replay.
- Scary Black Man: Yuki. And how.
- Shout-Out: Among other things, there are lots of references to Teen Titans Abridged.
- Not to mention that it practically shares a universe with K-On! The Abridged Series (for which Fullmetalchao does writing/voices as well). He mentioned that if he ever to adapts the Endless Eight arc, he'd let the cast of that show play the Abridged Haruhi characters for one episode.
- The main characters of said abridged series are apparently members of Itsuki's group of Loli Scouts.
- In fact, Full Metal Chao voices Yui's Les Paul, Gitah... as a child molester... note , and later has a major role as Azusa.
- "Tiny miniskirts!"
- "Itsuki, I swear to god, if you tell me to do a barrel roll, I will cut you."
Itsuki: Switching to All-Range Mode. Who's making Star Fox references now?
Kyon: Not the time, Itsuki.
- Sound Effect Bleep
- Subverted in the "Itsuki Flash" video. Kyon just out and out says what everyone watching is thinking.
- Also subverted in Episode 12, when Kyon is listening to a certain Lily Allen song.
- Spiritual Successor: HaruhiMENT
- Stylistic Suck: Everyone's a bad actor in Kyon's mind.
- Surfer Dude: Itsuki.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial
Haruhi: I am not jealous! I am not threatened by [Mikuru's] looks compared to mine!
- Talking to Himself: The abridged "Remote Island Syndrome" episodes lampshade the fact that abridged Itsuki and Yukata have the same voice actor and sound almost exactly alike. The characters even refer to him as Itsuki's clone until he's revealed to be Vic Mignogna.
Yukata: Hey, dudes! Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay!
Kyon: Why does he sound so familiar?
Itsuki: Hell, I dunno.
- The End of the World as We Know It
Itsuki: Guess what?
Haruhi is destroying the world. Again
- Tsundere: Haruhi, of course.
- Uncanny Valley Girl
Kyon: Are you trying to seduce me?
Ryoko: Noooo... I'm here to kill you!
- Unexplained Recovery: Yuki was Driven to Suicide due to Endless Eight:
FullmetalChao: Y-Yuki, What are you doing with your shotgun?
Yuki: I can't take it anymore, cracka. 15,513 times is enough, goddammit!
(Loads up shotgun and shoots herself)
- Three days later, when Episode 8 came out:
Kyon: Wait, how are you alive?
- Verbal Tic: Much of Yuki's dialog is saying "bitch", often with nothing else.
- Averted in Episodes five and six. Aversion Justified:
Kyon: Why didn't you say the line?
Yuki: I like to create drama.
- Vocal Evolution: Itsuki sounds more like a stoner in episodes 5 onward.
- Who Writes This Crap?!: Very common, mainly in the form of complaints about the original show.
[Actual English Dialogue]
Yuki: I forgot to re-create the glasses.
Kyon: Actually, I think you look cuter without those things. I don't really have a glasses fetish anyway.
[/Actual English Dialogue]
Yuki: What the *bleep* you talkin' 'bout, cracka?
Kyon: I hate my script.
- Yes-Man: As Itsuki pointed out, he has no opinion of his own.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Haruhi writes yaoi crossovers on her fanfiction.net account.