aka: Power Of The Storm
"All the power of the storm, from all the world, flows through my veins, and can be summoned by mine hammer at any time, wherever it is. A lightning storm in Japan? Mine. A hurricane off the coast of Barbados? Mine again. A brace of tornadoes in Kansas? Aye... mine. All that might, all that destructive force, mine to command. Channeled and guided through the mystic might of this hammer, guided right at thee!"The ability to manipulate the weather. It is a stock superpower. This usually includes Elemental Powers, Blow You Away, Making a Splash, An Ice Person, Shock and Awe and thermal manipulation. Weather manipulation is very versatile. For example, using the wind, some weather manipulators can fly. And, as everyone knows, Lightning Can Do Anything. Sometimes these powers are used for Painting the Frost on Windows. The difference between Elemental Powers and weather manipulation, is that storm manipulation is limited to the elements that make up the weather. Compare with Weather Control Machine, where you need a dash of phlebotinum to achieve the same ends. Compare Artificial Outdoors Display for when even the weather itself isn't real.
— Thor note
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Darker Than Black: April can make it rain in a small area, though she shows more general control of water in the second season.
- One Piece: Nami's Clima Tact gives her the ability to manipulate the weather.
- Cardcaptor Sakura: The Storm card that has the ability to create Tornadoes and summons huge rainstorm.
- Fate Testarossa, as well as her mother Presea, demonstrated the ability to conjure thunderstorms in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. However, Fate rarely uses this, preferring more local applications of her lightning-based abilities. The last time this showed up was during one of the manga chapters leading to Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Striker S, where she manipulates the weather to summon natural lightning that gets around the Anti-Magilink Field of a group of Gadget Drones.
- Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza. Groudon's storm manipulation is limited to creating Sunlight. Kyogre has the ability to create rain and lightning. Rayquaza has the power to negate the powers of the two others.
- Mewtwo also initiates a big storm in the movie.
- Toshiro and Chojiro's Zanpakuto have this power in Bleach. Toshiro's crosses with An Ice Person because his ability to create a snow storm is based on his general ice power.
- Wes Bluemarine/Domenico Pucci AKA Weather Report and later Emporio Alnińo using Weather's disc from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure can use his weather-manipulating Weather Report to create small clouds, rain, lightning, increase the power of his fist by adding atmospheric layers to them, make air suits to prevent suffocation, summon tornados, feel the air around him, rain frogs, rearrange the ozone layer so that light refracts in an angle that enable to place subliminal messages on sunlight and make oxygen toxic.
- In Onegai My Melody, a weather girl constantly got her forecasts wrong, pissing off the townspeople (example: saying it would be a nice sunny day when it would actually rain). When she wished her forecasts would be right for a change, Kuromi granted her wish by giving her the ability to control the weather, meaning the weather really would conform to whatever she said it would be. The power goes to her head and she starts using it to terrorize others, so the heroes defeat her and change her back to normal.
- Thor: As the quote indicates, he is the God of Storms. This is one of his main abilities, and he is the (former) Trope Namer.
- X-Men: Storm's mutant abilities allow her to create storms and manipulate wind, rain and lightning. Using the wind she can fly.
- The Incredible Hercules: Zeus, much like the character from Classical Mythology.
- The Weather Wizard - member of the Flash's Rogues - has this as his hat. Either through a weather controlling science wand or because of some internal ability, various depictions of Weather Wizard can summon and control rain, clouds, wind, and blizzards (making him a nice complement to fellow Rogue Captain Cold) among others. Depending on incarnation, altering weather in a particular fashion can affect his mood, which usually leaves him stressed and volatile.
- Crystal of The Inhumans can control the classic Greek elements, but usually uses this power to create weather effects such as storms and earthquakes. (This is likely the result of writer confusion about her vaguely-defined control of "the elements".) Once when she and Thor were on The Avengers together, they tried combining their weather powers... indoors. Hilarity Ensued. note
- Sarah Rainmaker of Gen13.
- One of Joshua Brand's abilities in Shaman's Tears. He most commonly uses it to create rain.
- Amanda from Fly Or Fall is the Fairy of Weather.
- The Vestrians from the Warrior Cats fanfic Golden Dawn: Lost Sunrise can control the weather through their power over the sky. Karis, their queen, notes that she could bring the strongest storms or the most torrential rain down on the world if she wished.
- Susano in Jewel Of Darkness and A Shadow Of The Titans has this as his primary set of powers.
- Shadows Awakening: Tempest, one of Daolon Wong's new dark chi warriors, has the ability to summon storm clouds to attack people with.
- Rarity in Divided Rainbow.
Films — Animated
- Elsa from Frozen, much like the Snow Queen that she was based on, has the ability to create all kinds of snow and ice-related weather. The conflict of the movie is caused when she does this by accident with no way to shut it off until the end of the movie, where she learns how to reverse her powers to make it Summer again.
- Chanticleer the rooster from Don Bluth's Rock-A-Doodle can raise the sun by crowing; in effect, Chanticleer commands the dawn. Once, when the sun arose unbidden, Chanticleer lost faith in himself, and abandoned the farm and his friends. Keeping Chanticleer from crowing is critical to the Grand Duke's Evil Plan of keeping the farmlands under perpetual night and the owls in ascendancy.
The Duke: "Never let him crow."
Films — Live-Action
- In Dracula Untold, upon fully embracing his identity as a vampire, Vlad III Dracula is capable of making clouds to blot out the sun, as well generating thunderstorms. Thunderstorms with a cloud formation that looks like a roaring dragon.
Folklore and Fairy Tales
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians:
- Zeus and his children, again, like classical mythology except the children have the same powers.
- In addition, Poseidon and his children have this ability, but they're limited to Sea-Storms.
- Tris, the weather-witch from the Circle of Magic novels. Her book is even called "The Power in the Storm" in the British edition.
- Cyclone and Mistral from Wild Cards are wind-controllers.
- Played for laughs in So Long And Thanks For All The Fish, wherein one very minor character (a trucker named Rob Mc Kenna) is, unbeknownst to himself, a rain god, with the power that it always rains wherever he is. Always.
- Septimus Heap: DomDaniel uses a storm to try and sink the boat of the protagonists in Magyk.
- In Ruth Frances Long's The Treachery of Beautiful Things, the storm that blows up when she is in the cottage is attributed to the piper.
- This is one of the responsibilities of the noble houses of Caederan in The Quest of the Unaligned. The fact that random earthquakes, floods, and hurricanes are ravaging the countryside is one of the first signs that Their Majesties King Kethel and Queen Tathilya are seriously neglecting their duties.
- The X-Files:
- "D.P.O": Darren Peter Oswald can manipulate lightening.
Sheriff Teller: Let me get this straight, now. You’re telling me this kid’s throwing lightning bolts.Scully: In effect.
- "Rain King": Holman Hardt. Controls the weather instinctively: when he's sad, it rains; when he's enthralled with joy, smiling faces appear in the clouds. And when he's on the verge of a mental breakdown, all hell breaks loose.
- "D.P.O": Darren Peter Oswald can manipulate lightening.
- Used as a motif in Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger and Power Rangers Ninja Storm, though the Rangers' actual Elemental Powers don't fully reflect it. (One faction, the Thunder Rangers, does control lightning, but the Wind Rangers' powers align with Land, Sea, Sky instead.)
- In Supernatural, Archangels Michael, Raphael, and Lucifer have been shown manipulating weather on a large scale. So has Death.
- The power of the Weather Dopant in Kamen Rider Double
- This is the power of Alice Shaw on Heroes.
- In Haven, this is Marion Caldwell's Trouble. The more stressed and angry she is, the worse the weather gets. She has some degree of control over it, like making the weather target people she doesn't like, but has to calm down to get it to stop.
- Based on the Weather Wizard (above), Clyde Mardon's power in The Flash (2014) is to generate and control storms, which he got when his and his brother's plane was hit by the shockwave from the S.T.A.R. Labs Magical Particle Accelerator explosion (the same one that caused Barry's lightning strike). Being a bank robber, Mardon initially uses the power to continue the trade, but later begins to feel that he's a god. He starts by generating wind and fog, but later moves on to creating and controlling twisters with himself in the eye. Barry is able to stop him by generating a counter-wind by running in the opposite direction of the twister (Barry has already proven to be able to to go supersonic at that point). Clyde is initially able to knock Barry away with a wind blast, but Barry speeds up and eventually collapses the twister back on Mardon.
- SCP Foundation
- SCP-628 ("Flute Copse"). The trees that make up SCP-628 have the ability to increase local wind speed from 9 km/hr to 77 km/hr in less than 80 seconds as well as altering cloud cover.
- SCP-716 ("The Train"). SCP-716 gives off an unknown form of radiation that can (among other effects) alter the nature and severity of local weather patterns.
Religion and Mythology
- Most religions have at least one Weather God, and the Weather God is frequently the most powerful or one of the most powerful gods in their Pantheon. Set, in particular is the Ur Example.
- Jesus calmed a storm in The Bible.
- Japanese Mythology: Yuki-onna translates to 'snow woman' and thus their responsibility. There's also Susanoo.
- Slavic Mythology held that certain people are born with the power to control weather. Sometimes it was as mundane as conducting a ritual on the field, sometimes involved the spirit leaving the body to combat evil weather spirits and dragons in the sky.
- Villains And Vigilantes, The Weather Control power allows a character to summon a variety of weather types, each of which gives appropriate attack forms (e.g. a blizzard gives Ice Powers, obscures vision and causes high winds).
- In Warcraft one of the three elements of the Orcish shamans is "Storm".
- In the Champions supplement "The Coriolis Effect" the heroine Coriolis was given a variety of powers that effectively allowed her to control the weather over a wide area.
- Dungeons & Dragons: The Control Weather spell allowed general changes in the weather, such as the degree of cloudiness/precipitation, how hot or cool it was and the wind strength. The Weather Summoning spell allowed the caster to call up a specific type of weather such as a blizzard, tornado, thunderstorm or hurricane.
- In Mage: The Ascension and Mage: The Awakening, weather manipulation is part of Forces magic. At increasing levels of skill a mage can call down lightning from an existing storm, create or dismiss storm systems, and at Mastery create hurricanes or tornadoes.
- BIONICLE: Elemental Powers such as Ice, Air and Water can be used to manipulate the weather in regards to the power. It should be noted that Lewa and Gali combine their powers at one point (Air and Water respectively) in order to create a huge hurricane-like storm in the middle of an island. It's useful for taking out a horde of foes.
- Mallow from Super Mario RPG has the power to summon rain, either in a localized cloud or a massive downpour, and can also summon snow and lightning. These powers serve as the basis for his magical attacks.
- Touhou: Tenshi Hinanawi has a sword that gives her this ability.
- Although his actual control is limited, in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and its sequel Majoras Mask, Link can make it rain anywhere (even, sometimes, inside), by playing the Song of Storms.
- Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza are embodiments of land, sea, and sky, respectively. Groudon can summon heavy sunlight, Kyogre can summon rain, and Rayquaza can nullify existing weather conditions.
- The Vulpix, Hippopotas, and Snover lines, as well as Politoed and Tyranitar, can summon various weathers; sun and rain as mentioned, but also sandstorms and hailstorms.
- Castform can use all weather-summoning moves, transforms in the presence of weather, and had a Signature Move that altered with the weather.
- Psyduck and Golduck have access to an ability with the same effect as Rayquaza's.
- In World of Warcraft Shaman can call on the elemental spirits of the Air and Water to manipulate the weather for abilities such as Thunderstorm and Healing Rain, and Druids can beckon the natural world to create a Hurricane, Cyclone or Typhoon.
- A Conversed Trope in Animal Crossing New Leaf. Villagers with the Uchi (Big Sis) personality will sometimes mention a book called [Villager's species] Storm Caller, and wonder if they can call storms too, before deciding that the town doesn't need more storms.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has two Shouts that can manipulate the weather: Storm Call, which calls down lightning bolts on friend and foe alike, and Clear Skies, which clears any weather effects in the area.
- The Cyantian Chronicles: Certain events in certain chapters point toward Vin being able to control the weather, or at least make it rain. A lot.
- In The Order of the Stick, Durkon uses the Control Weather spell at one point (as described in the Tabletop Games section). However, he uses it for a much more awesome effect than it is originally intended, which is lampshaded in the very next strip.
- Winx Club: Stormy. It's even in her name! Also Icy to an extent. She can manipulate Ice and snow.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Pegasi all have this ability, to the point that controlling the weather is a common job for them. Earlier incarnations of the franchise did not give pegasi this ability. Unicorns are mentioned and eventually shown to be able to use their magic for this purpose, both by manipulating existing clouds the way pegasi do and creating clouds wholesale. Of course, those are special cases (Princess Luna is all races at once, and extremely powerful, Trixie was under the control of an Artifact of Doom, Rarity believing she had Rainbow Dash's job and destiny.)
- Danny Phantom villain Vortex has this power. Given the nature of ghosts in this series, he may well be the Anthropomorphic Personification of storms. Danny himself had temporary control over weather when he got zapped by Vortex's lightning.