Fanfic Recs: Naruto Alt Fic And Crack Fic
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Naruto Alt Fic and Crack Fic, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
open/close all folders
A - G
The Accidental Henge by JAC_Ossuary
Advent of the Spiraling Ninja by Born of Prayers
Black Cloaks, Red Clouds by Archontruth
Blood Sings by Fireun Feather
The Book of Naruto by HitokiriOTD
The Boy in the Team by Shadenight123
Broken Hat by chairomori
A Cage of Blood and Circumstance by shadowsdeep
Chipped Mask by Darkpetal16
Dissonance by Unwritten.25
Echoes by Kagaseo
The Empty Cage by Rathanel
Escape from the Hokage's Hat by anothvortex
The Eyes Have It by Shana The Short
Fox Moon and Will of Foxfire by Quill of Molliemon
From Ramen With Love by Ryushi the Dutch Ero-Sennin
The Fortuneteller by Goldberry
A Freak A Creep & A Psychopath by Legendary Legacy
Fuzzy Logic by Deritine
Garden of Sanctuary, by Nes Mikel
Glaring Problems by dogbertcarroll
- Recommended by: Capeclare
- Synopsis: Frustrated with academy life, Naruto steals a third years training manual and resolves to teach himself the Henge before anyone else in his class. Done on the night of a full moon, Naruto has no idea what his attempts will cause. Genderbender possibly Nary/Ino though definitely friendship and it also has some fanart.
- Recommended by Leidolf
- Pairing(s): Naruto x Hinata, Gaara x Matsuri, Fuu x Shibuki
- Synopsis: AU. Naruto is attacked the day after graduation and after Hinata takes a kunai for him, he uses the Kyuubi's Chakra and is forced to flee the village. The fox guides him to his ancestral home of Uzushio and uses a special puppet to summon his mother, Kushina. Now, he travels alongside her, in an attempt to rebuild their village.
- Recommended by: Lord Herobrine
- Synopsis: My name is Naruto Uzumaki. I don't have chakra. I can't walk on walls, I can't breath fire, and I certainly can't make a clone of myself. Who cares? I'm awesome anyway." Can Naruto be a good ninja in a world where everyone BUT him has superpowers? Yes. Yes he can.| Story takes on a more modern take on the Naruto world and begs the question on what would happen if Naruto had no access to Chakra. Very engaging and not afraid to kill off a bunch of main and or side characters. Also, HAN.. Just, HAN.
- Parings: Tentative, and not specifically enumerated as of 2/18/2014.
- Recommended by: Eddie Current
- Synopsis: In which the often pulled fan trope of the all powerful town council grinding Naruto down is skewered, and Danzo's pet project gets rather nicely sporked as well.
- Recommended by Dellanotte
- Pairings: Neji/Ten/Dei, Orochimaru/Anko, NaruHina
- Synopsis: In a world where Orochimaru is Hokage and the Hidden Villages are ruled by tyrants, Tenten finds the lines between ally and enemy blurring when a desperate strategy lands her in the company of enigmatic strangers who wear black cloaks with red clouds. DeiTen and NejiTen. Contains adult themes.
- Recommended by Nitramy
- Pairings: NaruHina / SasuSaku
- Synopsis: For Namikaze Minato, Yondaime Hokage, the day started out like any other. But then Jiraiya walked into his office with a teen that could have been his clone and that bore the name of his vanished lover. His day just got very, very interesting. AU
- Recommended by Yogi, X Shouldve Died, Kurtulmak, boonerunner
- Pairing(s): Unrequited Naruto/Lots of people (Hinata mostly). Naruto just doesn't know about it.
- Synopsis: Naruto is a God. Naruto is an actual literal God, as in "pray to him and he grants miracles" God, but he has no clue that's the case. He's still the same lovable goofball roaming the countryside with Jiraiya, and he has no idea that people are building temples in his honor.
- Recommended by mothaibabon
- Synopsis: Sasuke Uchiha is Rookie of the Year and son of the police chief. Naruko Namikaze is prime Kunoichi and hero of Konoha, daughter of the Yondaime Hokage. Hence, the dead last assigned to their team is Shinku Haruno...son of civilians. There is no rising from the lower levels when you're surrounded by prodigies. Just live through the nightmare...and hope to wake up to a better day.
- Comments: Be warned that it's pretty dark and edgy. Given the amount of trouble Naru(k)o and Sasuke get up to just for being so overpowered, it's a more realistic take on what should have ended up happening to a normal person who unfortunately got dragged along with them. Negative points: the plotline is a bit confusing, and the ending still has some loose ends. Overall, though, very well done Coming of Age story where the OC actually goes through a lot of hell to earn his stripes instead of simply being a Gary Stu.
- Status: Complete.
- Recommended by Veloren
- Pairings: None, just delicious, delicious crack.
- Synopsis: Gaara is now the Kazekage, what is Naruto going to do about it? (Steal his hat, obviously).
- Recommended by Einsieg
- Pairing(s): None.
- Synopsis: A Self-Insert Fic in the vein of Self as Canon Character. The SI is merged with the just shy of four years old Hinata Hyuga at the exact moment when she is rescued from her abduction. After a brief moment of excitement, this situation is quickly seen with a serious case of Fridge Horror as the SI realizes that they have just been fused with the mind of a girl who's entire life is a prison walled off by the laws of her clan.
- Recommended by beeruckzII
- Pairings: Tobi/OC
- Synopsis (from Fanfiction.net): No one just falls into another world. It just doesn't happen. Not normally, at least. Not even rarely. It's an effect, not a cause. And I should have known that. The signs were there. The warnings were clear. I should have paid attention. No one just falls into another world. No one just falls into another world, and returns, I should say. Because I fell. And returning was impossible.
- Comments: The humor and romance is perfectly balanced out, the serious moments aren't out of place, the fluffiness is just right, the OC - Mia - isn't a Mary Sue and even though it alters from canon, it's still believable! I haven't finished reading it yet, but let's just say that I believe that there is a good reason this story has over 2000 reviews!
- Recommended by: Komodo Classic
- Summary: (from Ao3) Itachi's earliest memory is crows.
- Synopsis: In a modern-day universe with no jutsu, Itachi gains the Sharingan while on the job as a police officer for the city of Konoha. He keeps it secret, but the situation soon spirals, and he is forced to kill his cousin Shisui and flee the city to escape Danzo and save Sasuke. To this end, he joins Akatsuki, all for the purpose of keeping his brother safe.
- Comments: The alternate universe and Itachi's thought processes are fascinating. There are no jutsu, but kekkei genkai and Jinchuuriki show up, and ninja have special relationships with a certain type of animal. Itachi's affinity is for crows. The story is told in a series of short snapshots, most of them centered on Itachi. Oh, and the fight scenes are great. Also, be prepared to be emotionally compromised. You may not cry—that's not the kind of emotion—but the story is that good.
- Recommended by Akatsuki Daybreak, Jomlos
- Pairings: Sasuke/Sakura (eventually)
- Synopsis: An absolutely epic AU fic featuring Sakura as the heir to a powerful samurai clan who, along with a ragtag group consisting of monk Kakashi, half-demon Naruto, ninja Sai, and others who have yet to join, must kill an ancient demon who recently broke free from its imprisonment.
- Recommended by: Lady Venamisa
- Pairings: Itachi/Naruto, Sakura/Ino (among others; Gay, lesbian and straight relationships are mentioned.
- Synopsis: AU. Ita/Naru. Naruto is the new kid at Konoha Academy of the Arts and he's got some pretty dark secrets. And when his past comes back to haunt him, he won't be able to keep them hidden for very long. (actual synopsis for the fic)
- Recommended by: Metagross Z
- Pairings: None so far, mostly due to Anyone Can Die
- Synopsis: A modification of the seal holding back the Kyuubi has surprising consequences. A different version of Naruto discovers the ability to travel between multiple, different universes and begins a quest to uncover a conspiracy that stretches across them. But dogging him are a group of powerful, SS-rank ninja intent on conquering all of the universes.
- Recommended by templar627, Frodo Lives, Sheaman3773
- Pairings: None yet
- Synopsis: AU. Desperate and rushed, Minato Namikaze is forced to rely on the Death God's seal, a seal he doesn't fully understand, and his son pays the price with his life. So who is the blond-haired kid running around Konoha? M for language and violence.
- Recommended by Blue Magicite, JasonCarter
- Pairings: Naruto/Hinata (was almost harem)
- Synopsis: After successfully retrieving Sasuke, a number of additional seals are detected on his body which had damaged his performance. Once removed, Naruto needs to recover in a body with far less limitations. Because of this, Tsunade names Naruto her apprentice to remove him from the threat of the Council, leaving Jiraiya in charge as temporary Hokage (who puts the Seeing Eye Ball to good use!) as she trains Naruto across a number of elemental nations with Hinata and Shizune in tow.
- Recommended by MaskedAndDangerous
- Pairings: None
- ''Synopsis:" Most people seem to think that developing a doujutsu is a wondrous, unspeakably lucky occurrence. Considering that she now has to deal with an ability she has no idea how to use, family drama, fashion crises, and the world's most rude and vulgar doctor, on top of getting to know her new genin team just after graduation...needless to say, Sakura begs to differ.
- Recommended by throwaawy
- Pairings: Minato/Kushina
- Synopsis: (AU, pre-timeskip, no bijuu, no massacre) Konohagakure no Sato is a village of ninjas who hunt demons. Naruto is a ninja who has some secrets. And tonight is a full moon.. (One Shot)
- Naruto is a child of secrets. The full moon is a cruel thing. Darkness lurks in the heart of Whirlpool. And all Sasuke wants is to please his father... (Series)
- Recommended by Clendy82
- Pairings: None
- Synopsis: Naruto is hanging out at Ichiraku Ramen, down in the dumps because Valentine's Day is coming up and he doesn't have a date. Ayame, the ramen mistress, takes notice and offers to help him compose love letters to send to each of his female friends to see what develops. In addition, she helps him craft a Henge-enhanced alter ego named Nemar who turns out to be downright irresistible. With Ayame's eloquence and charm lessons, and Naruto's disguise-based good looks, what could go wrong? What indeed.
- Recommended by: Dellanotte
- Pairings: Neji/Tenten, Sasuke/Sakura, Naruto/Hinata
- Synopsis: "The things you've lost will eventually come back to you: past, present, and future. AU Neji/Ten, Sasu/Saku"
- Recommended by Kthe Cloud
- Synopsis:" An interesting result of a unique fic, that has to be read to be belived.
- Recommended by Gamma Wolf, Serbii, Bufu, Kurtulmak
- Pairings: Naruto/OC for a chapter or two only though.
- Synopsis: Time travel. Seals. "A new seal made by Naruto malfunctions when it's challenged by Akatsuki's extraction ritual. Now Naruto has to deal with situations he'd never dreamed of before: a war, a demon attack, Orochimaru, spies and the paradox of his own existence."
- Recommended by authority02, ultrafan
- Pairing(s): Kyubi/Minato
- Synopsis: This time, the Kyubi no Yoko is looping. Again and again and again... until it ends up with severe psychological problems.
- Recommended by anowack, Kurtulmak, boonerunner
- Pairings: Naruto x Sakura
- Synopsis: It's a one-shot alternate ending to Naruto taking off from the second post-timeskip arc, in which Naruto is imprisoned for the safety of Konoha with Sakura as the only visitor he's allowed.
- Recommended by Firedamaged
- Pairing(s): NaruAnko (by way of Marriage stand-in slave contract), NaruHaku ( "Take me to Zabuza and I will be your slave") and Hanabi/Narutroopers (Naruto KageBuns that went rogue and started following Hanabi's orders.)
- Synopsis: Naruto, sick of the hateful glares of the people of Konoha decides to give them a taste of their own medicine before the journey to Wave.
H - M
Hakumei by Pryotra
He Had No Fingers by Gleam
Heirs to the Thrones by Terris Dernhelm
How The Wood Was Won by coincident
Imperfect Perfection by O.bi.Sess
"The-Imprint" by MogtheGnome
Intimate Relations by wife-chan
Intoxicated by syaoran no hime
I Think I by TooDarnLazy
Kage no Naruto by ArtfulLounger
Little Uzumaki by Lucillia
The Log by ThatReallyReallyWierdDude
The Lunar Eclipse by the point
The Mating Frenzy by MSkyDragons
Mating Season by Brightsyde
Moons of Red, by Dark and Chaotic
Motivation by Durandall
My Name Is Haruno Sakura by Zephyras (Winner of Best in Category for Yuri on TONFA)
My Wish Order Brother by Piper Dreamer
- Recommended by Anivla01
- Pairing(s): Haku/Isaribi Jir Tsu
- Synopsis: Danzo's plan for the assassination of the Hokage was almost flawless. To bad he didn't take six neglected children who ran away the night of the murder into account.
- Recommended by Glidergun, Kurtulmak, Veloren
- Has its own tropes page.
- Synopsis: The Ninetails cannot be contained. But it will take a human sacrifice, all the same.
- Recommended by Jomlos
- Pairings: Konohamaru/Hanabi.
- Synopsis: With a Shinobi war threatening to erupt, the fate of the Hidden Leaf, our favorite ninja and even the Akatsuki rest in the hands of two unlikely heroes of the Sarutobi and Hyuga Clan copied straight from the Fanfiction.net.
- Recommended by Rosse
- Pairing(s): Madara/Hashirama
- Synopsis: "So...can I have your life force?" Madara attempts to woo Hashirama. Unfortunately, the Uchiha methods of wooing aren't quite that...conventional.
- Recommend by Cheshire
- Pairings: Kakashi/OC, onsided Itachi/OC, Gaara/OC, Narusasu, Saku/Dei, among others
- Synopsis: An AU where Naruto has to deal with the most terrifying enemy of all A MARY Sue. Recruiting Itachi and Kisame, the attempt to kill the creature that has invade their world.
- Recommended by Kthe Cloud
- Status: Dormant
- Synopsis: Itachi decides he needs another failsafe measure ensure Sasuke lives in an unsightly manor. To do that, he uses the Sharingan to brainwash Naruto to be exactly like him. Konoha will never be the same.
- Recommended by The Desert Harvester
- Pairings: Slight Onesided Madara/Zetsu. Nothing explicict but it's on the same level of canon Ho Yay
- Synopsis: A brief look into the complex relationship shared by Madara and Zetsu.
- Status: It's a oneshot so it's completed, but has some potential into becoming more should creepingshadow expand on his own universe.
- Recommended by: logicallyspeaking
- Pairings: None.
- Synopsis: Basically, Naruto pranks both Sasuke and the whole village into thinking they're gay and together. Everybody is disturbed and confused, most notably Kakashi, who has to deal with their (apparent) gayness on a daily basis. Note that they are not actually a couple! It's just a huge, ever-growing misunderstanding, perpetuated solely by Naruto.
- Recommended by: Dellanotte
- Pairing: Neji/Tenten
- Synopsis: "AKA why Neji must not be left drunk. Neji Ten request."
- Recommended by Cherico
- Pairings: Sasuke/Fem Naruto
- Synopsis: Naruto's really a girl; he marries Sasuke to keep him out of prison; the rest of the story is about how the two of them cope with their new lives.
- Recommended by: Coffee Mocha
- Synopsis: What would have become of the idiot blonde if he had intelligence, ambition, and power over shadows and darkness, and all the madness that comes with them?
- Tags: Dark Fic
- Recommended by Koays
- Pairings: Naru/Saku
- Synopsis: After Danzo becomes the Fifth Hokage Naruto flees the village. Years later Sakura, now a missing Nin, shows up in the Hidden Smoke village to drag Naruto back to Konoha in her attempt to bring her team back together. One problem, Naruto's got more then a few new priorities. Amazing story, its as though the author watched every episode of the anime and never forgot anyone.
- Recommended by Nitramy, Kurtulmak, boonerunner
- Pairings: None
- Synopsis: Team 7 + Fountain of Youth = Hilarity Ensues
- Recommended by Half Blood Princess
- Pairings: None, so far.
- Synopsis: ALL HAIL THE LOG.
- Comments: Veers ever so slightly into Sue!Naruto territory, but you'll be too busy busting your gut to care.
- Recommended by Veloren
- Pairings: canon ones, past onesided (fem)Kakashi/Obito
- Synopsis: Swearing herself against what she believed to be her father's mistakes, but holding those mistakes dear to her heart nonetheless. Learning under the man who became her idol, alongside teammates she grew to love, and losing both. She found friends in unlikely places. Slowly, but surely, broken, she found her way. Through a jar of sake or two. A girl has to cope somehow. (Female Kakashi)
- Comments: Not quite a crackfic, but close. A recognizably different Kakashi, who still rings true.
- Recommended by CRBWildcat, Glidergun
- Pairings: Itachi/Sakura
- Synopsis: Itachi's eyesight is beginning to deteriorate, so Akatsuki abducts Sakura from Konoha in order to reverse the condition. When the two are able to spend some time in the same room without killing each other, the present members of the organization jump to the wrong conclusion and decide to do everything in their power to get them together. Shouldn't be hard to guess what happens next.
- Recommended by Tina Banina 96
- Pairings: Shikamaru/Hinata
- Synopsis: One of the most beautiful oneshots I have ever read. The author of this makes this pairing believable. Written from Shikamaru's point of view, it's an amazing extended metaphor. Truly great. Even if you find the pairing strange, you should definitely give it a read. Again, it was just... wow...
- Recommended by Shay Guy, Unclouded TJ, Tina Banina 96, ultrafan
- Pairings: Yes
- Synopsis: Naruto fics don't get much funnier than this shipping parody, in which Konoha's population has become dangerously depleted following the invasion. Tsunade decides on a course of action that'll solve the problem and provide her with some entertainment in the bargain: an S-class mission to every ninja in Konoha, which can be summarized as "be fruitful and multiply." You can guess what happens.
- Recommended by Tyranno Storm, Tina Banina 96
- Pairing(s): Naruto/Harem, Up to Eleven
- Synopsis: (from author's summary) "Every several thousand years, the Nine Tailed Fox lets off an aura irresistible to women, and mates. But now that it's trapped inside Naruto, things are a little more complicated... Harem." Basically, every woman in Konoha tries to jump Naruto's bones by any means necessary.
- Recommended by Kalvan
- Parings: Anko/OC, Naruto/Hinata Ship Tease, Pain/OC Ship Tease
- Synopsis: (Author's Own Words): As the events of the manga begin to unfold, will the main course of the plot and timeline hold, or will their presence break the Naruto World apart? Multiple OCs in Narutoverse done right. However, this synopsis is a gross oversimplification. What has happened is that multiple Naruto (and other animated fandom) cosplayers have been stuck in the Narutoverse by some god or other with a rather warped sense of humor, and given powers suggested by their chosen costumes. Then we watch as their very presense causes vast ripples in the timeline.
- Recommended by: The Dark Freak, boonerunner
- Synopsis: The night that the forbidden scroll was stolen, things went differently. Instead of being passed by Iruka, Naruto is instead granted a merit promotion for avenging his teacher and killing Mizuki — a traitor to the leaf. After that? Shikamaru uses his head. Shino uses his wits. And Naruto uses the advice of his two new friends...
- Recommended by: phoku, ultrafan
- Pairings: Sakura/Ino, Naruto/Sasuke
- Synopsis: "My name is Haruno Sakura. I am a straight-A student and am eligible for a scholarship to the top university in the country. My name is Haruno Sakura and I live in a cardboard box." A real world AU, Sakura-centric, eventual Ino/Sakura.
- Recommended by Outtamymind381
- Pairings: Sasuke and Tenten, and what looks like a funny love triangle between Hana, Deidara and Itachi
- Synopsis: Naruto, after seeing a child get defended by his older brother, makes a wish on a wishing star for an older brother too. What he got was a girly looking art freak with mouths on his hands.
- Status: 30+ chapters and still going
N - Z
Naruto Chronicles of the 7th: Dissension New Dawn, End of Innocence, and Curse of the Namikaze by RamenRenegade
Naruto Genkyouien by Daneel Rush
Naruto Thirteen by Danny vs A Month
The Night The House Of Cards Was Built by drakensis
Nightingale by riversrunthroughme
O Naruto, Where Art Thou by Andrew Joshua Talon
Of the Days Annoyances by Lucillia
The People We've Become by Zephyras
Prey for the Hunted by Airyo
PS I'm Pregnant, by Serenity Silence
RED by Sherbet Mayhem
The Red Calm by ANOVA Normal
Reflections of Demons by evil_genus
Ricochet by Strix 4
Roku Naruto by Anthurak The Chaos Lord
Sagacity Unbroken: The Shichido Heresy by The Road to Ultima Grey
Sasuke Is A Moron by Natarie
Seal Shatter by Quill of Molliemon
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Spring, by DigiFruit
Subject 014 by JellyfishBlues
Summoner-nin by the point
Spying no Jutsu by Daniel-Gudman
Tempered in Water, by HitokiriOTD
Team Time by Mirror and Image
Team Tsume by Xana-Vlec
A Twist of Chance by MockV
Unsong Story of the inconspicuous by Wrought
VENGEANCE! The Musical! The Story of Uchiha Sasuke by Shadow Crystal Mage
Vermillion by kitsune13(TamLin)
Vis à Vis by Reaper Nanashi
Walk On The Moon by Six Perfections
Way of the Ninja by watashi-no-nindo of DeviantArt
What is Love? by Fester0662 (AU fanfic, with explicit content)
With the Heart and Underwear of Fire by Diamond Avatar
Wind Monk Banishment by Born of Prayers
Workplace by Riz-I(Can now be found here)
- Recommended by Koays
- Pairings: Naru/Saku
- Synopsis: After Pein's attack on the village Danzo successfully became the 6th Hokage and forced Naruto out of the village. Years later the story begins as Naruto is called back to a village on the verge of war in order to try to stop the Ninja world from falling into chaos as Madara completes his plans.
- Comments: The series is well written and gives a lot of minor characters, big moments. The 1st Book focuses on Naruto's return to Konoha as the picture is slowly painted of how messed up the world really is. The 2nd focuses on the war being fought between the villages while Naruto and his group try to bring together an alliance to take on Madara Uchiha and the Akatsuki. The 3rd book covers the end of the war as Konoha fights for survival. Book 4 which Ramen Renegade has only recently started takes place several years after the original trilogy and will pit Naruto and Konoha against an enemy with ties to the Namikaze clan. Be warned the other began the series during Pein's Invasion so the story reflects that in some areas.
- Recommended by: Seraviel, Catt
- Synopsis: It might have been better if the Kyuubi was actually an evil entity bent on destroying the world.
- The story is now complete at 23 chapters, with the 23rd chapter being published piecemeal on fanfiction.net. If you would like to read the rougher, not as edited (but still very readable) chapter before it is on fanfiction.net, it is posted on thefanfictionforum.net.
- Recommended by: JasonCarter
- Synopsis: Naruto met the Kyuubi on the night when Mizuki decided to betray the village hidden in leaves. Not having been able to form any preconceived notions about it, words are exchanged, and a deal is struck. It. Changes. Everything.
- Recommended by SanDemonMax
- Synopsis: Basically this is Naruto and Shippuden if Minato and Kushina had lived. Got the idea from the sixth movie, mainly because Naruto deserves to have a family and I'm in that kind of mood, and you will just have to read to find out who the new main enemy is. Strong/Smart/not-orphan Naruto, Naruhina, Minato X Kushina, possibly will take requests for others.
- Recommended by SAMAS, Akatsuki Daybreak, Kajeet, Arcane Azmadi, ultrafan
- Synopsis: Anko and Kurenai have a plan to make to make some money: tonight is the night of a weekly high-stakes poker game between some of the most powerful people in the village. If they can get in, they stand a chance to make a pile of money. Too bad for them that a six-year-old Naruto Uzumaki just wandered into the game himself. Well, somebody's getting lucky tonight...
- Recommended by fsdfsdfsd
- Synopsis: Hyuuga Neji goes missing nin, which is more complicated than it sounds. Luckily the Uchiha brothers are experts in professional treachery and more than willing to give him tips...whether he wants them or not. /post timeskip/ Sound Village mind f***ery/. (Taken from FF.net)
- Now has a TV tropes page.
- Recommended by Drksrpnt, Unclouded TJ, ultrafan, Goingblind95
- Pairings: Naruto/Tenten. Allegedly.
- Synopsis: Long ago the world was full of amazing technology, things ninja could only dream of. For centuries this ancient art was lost. That is until a nosy blonde found it in a dusty tome. Now he follows in their footsteps – those of a mad scientist.
- Recommended by Red Fortune, Shay Caron, Grand Prince Paul II.
- Pairings: Naruto/Tsunami. Very little, and not exactly what you think.
- Synopsis: A retelling of Naruto, set in a non-specific period of the Colonial War, ala O Brother, Where Art Thou?, but mixed generously with the normal Naruto setting. Ninjas are now elite mercenaries that work autonomously with the states of the Fire Nation and set up like rank and file soldiers. The story blends colonial elements, such as political ramifications of the war, with nearly every aspect of the Naruto-verse we've come to know and love. Told via diary entries, mainly from Team Seven, it expands more and more on the new and interesting world with each chapter.
- Recommended by Kthe Cloud, Mcnickel
- Synopsis: xcerpts from the journal of a Hyuuga Hiashi who raises Naruto.
- Recommended by fibon
- Pairings: NaruHina, as decided by a poll the author held
- Synopsis: An alternate take on Naruto, where he never passed the graduation exam or met Mizuki afterwards. On the contrary, he instead ran into an unlikely hero: a yakuza gangster. What follows is Naruto's path to becoming a yakuza boss.
- Recommended by Kendroid
- Pairings: Naruto/Sasuke, Sakura/Lee
- Synopsis: At first, no one could've guessed the consequences of Uzumaki Naruto's disappearance. However, seven years later, Uchiha Sasuke and Haruno Sakura are rogue ninja, Team Seven assembles once more, and they all have secrets.
- Recommended by CompleteNerd
- Pairings: Sasuke/Hinata minor Itachi/Hinata
- Synopsis: Hinata is a disgraced princess and Sasuke is the arrogent prince of the rival kingdom. After having survived on her own in exile, Sasuke finds her.
- Recommended by Dellanotte, Tina Banina 96
- Pairings: Neji/Ten, Naru/Hina, Saku/Sasu, Shika/Ino
- Synopsis: "Dear Neji, today I found out I was pregnant. So please, do hurry back. And don't you dare come back without completing that mission or I will self abort this baby. Love, Tenten." NejiTen
- Recommended by callingallsuperheros, Arcane Azmadi
- Has its own page.
- Pairings: SasuSaku, NaruHina, a small slice of Kakashi and Anko
- Synopsis: Konoha prepares for war. Sakura opens her eyes, forced to see a world drenched in scarlet. Naruto runs to the ends of the earth to save a friend. Kakashi treads dangerous ground. And Sasuke fights for his existence.
- Recommended by: Aishata
- Synopsis: Post invasion. Nagato does not resurrect the dead. With Konoha weak, Iwa scheming and Kiri rising, the 5 Nations are on the brink of war. Naruto must fight through conspiracy, betrayal and the Akatsuki to preserve peace and maybe find peace himself.
- Pairing(s): Naruto/ Fem! Haku
- Recommended by Blue Magicite, Sarah1281, boonerunner
- It has a trope page.
- Pairings: <None yet>
- Synopsis: Zabuza and Haku survive the battle at the bridge. Concerned for Naruto, Haku begs Zabuza for them to join Kohona, in order to be closer to the boy.
- Status: Updated 7-29-12 .
- Recommended by Dellanotte
- Pairings: None, unless you count yanking each other's chains.
- Synopsis: "Sometimes it's easy to see the familiar in the faces around you. Sometimes it sucks to figure out why." An AU in which Naruto has both his parents and they are awesome incarnate, Sasuke is the big brother in a whole family, Sakura has all her boys, and Kakashi is the best high school teacher never alongside his best friend. Mood Whiplash of so much angsting and laugh-crying, only halfway Original Flavor and halfway dialogue on Crack, along with wishing that such Halcyon Days could go on forever... Also, "The Progression of Sasuke's Baby Panda Pain."
- Status: Last update August 2014
- Recommended by Cherico, Kurtulmak
- Pairings: None yet.
- Synopsis: A Fem!Naruto's growth from abused little girl into a successful ninja.
- Recommended by Kagescorpionakki, Kazeto
- Pairings: NaruHina
- Synopsis: Naruto, after having several odd dreams, steals the forbidden scroll to graduate, and goes through what he calls the "Awakening." Said "Awakening" leaves him with a split personality, intelligence on par with Shikamaru,an army of kage bunshin who, in this case, act the part, and a case of pure insanity.
- Status: Last updated 9/26/2011. Anthurak stated in the last author's note that he hasn't abandoned the story, but his inactivity let him see many problems with his writing style and come up with new ideas. However, he hasn't shown any activity since that date.
- Recommended by Jason Carter
- Synopsis: In a world where Naruto attacked Gaara without restraint, in a world where the Namikaze are of blood as Noble as any other great clan, in a world where a single tragedy created a path of empathy between Naruto and Sasuke, I wonder: What might have been?
- Recommended by Sheliak and Veloren
- Synopsis: In order to convince Sasuke that a) she is completely over him and b) if she wanted a boyfriend she would have no trouble getting one, Sakura bets him that she can get the most dangerous missing-ninja in the world to admit that she’s attractive. Never mind that the Akatsuki are the deadly enemies of her village, or that half of them are dead. Every bit as cracky as it sounds! (Written some time ago, and thus has Sasuke having returned to the village while Kisame, Konan, and Pain are still alive.)
- Status: One-shot
- Recommended by throwaawy
- Pairings: Minato/Kushina
- Synopsis: (AU/AR, mid-Chuunin Exams on.) Orochimaru fails to seal the Kyuubi's chakra in the Forest of Death. Naruto interferes with Sasuke's curse mark. And what's wrong with the Hokage?
- Recommended by Tropers/Moberemk
- Pairings: Naruto/Sakura
- Synopsis: Just as the seasons change, the bonds between three friends can never stay the same. Friends become rivals then enemies. Friendship becomes romance then love. But as the seasons always cycle back to spring, so can enemies become friends once again
- Recommended by: Kurtulmak, Kazeto, Ghingahn
- Synopsis: Very few of Orochimaru's experiments have ever gone as poorly as Subject 014. Anko, who finds / is found by the experiment in the catacombs of one of his most recent laboratories, disagrees... She's about the only one, though. - FemNaruto -
- Recommended by: Littlegal100
- Synopsis: Her mother gave her a scroll to sign in blood. A scroll she kept hidden. Years flew by and she found herself signing more and more scrolls in blood. She soon became something even demons feared. Hinata Hyuga, the summoner nin.
- Status On-going. Last Updated at 12/09/12.
- Recommended by serbii, nolrai, Draga, boonerunner, ultrafan
- Pairing(s): Possibly Naruto/Yugito, one sided Sasuke/Henge!Naruto, Iruka/Everyone
- Synopsis: Disguised as a girl, Naruto will spy on Kage level kunoichi at the Cute Polar Bear Hot Springs Festival. On a related note, Sasuke deals with his growing attration to a mysterious new kunoichi. Also, the first ever Iruka Love Polygon. That I'm aware of.
- Status: Completed. Sequel The Biggest Chunin Exam Ever was last updated in Dec 2009 and appears to be a dead fic.
- Recommended by Comartemis, X Shouldve Died, Jomlos, Unclouded TJ
- Pairings: Naruto/Fem!Haku
- Synopsis: Haku is too badly injured to die for Zabuza and so survives the Wave Country arc. Depressed and suicidal, she latches on to Naruto as her new reason for living, initiating one of the best Naru/Haku pairings in the fandom.
- Recommended by Dellanotte, boonerunner
- Pairings: Here and there, but hardly the main focus. This is completely intentional.
- Synopsis: " This year's kids are going to give Kakashi and the other seventh grade teachers a heck of a lot of trouble." Middle School AU. Yes, Middle School.
- Recommended by Completenerd
- Synopsis: A civil war is about to occur in Konoha, the Third decides to craft a genin team specifically for intel gathering to prevent this from happening.
- Recommended by: Seraviel, Kurtulmak
- Synopsis: Total random chance makes Naruto meet his relatives on his father's side. Specifically his grandmother and aunt, which are not ninjas in any form.
- Recommended by Pigeon Brain
- Synopsis: Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura were not in fact the only rookies in that year. This genin was going to be normal, emotionally well-balanced and happy if it killed her. Which, in Konoha, was almost a statistical certainty.
- Recommended by: the Tamborine Man, Kurtulmak, boonerunner
- Synopsis: The Sandaime insists eight year-old Sasuke get therapy. Iruka decides to make him participate in a theater production. So how does this lead to a smash hit musical about how he’s going to kill Itachi? CRACK!
- Recommended by throwaawy, jyshin2
- Pairings: Minato/Kushina
- Synopsis: Before the 3rd Shinobi War, before he was Konoha's 4th Hokage, Yondaime Namikaze Minato first had to face his nightmare. It started with a fox.
- Status: Completed
- Recommended by shurasan
- Pairings: None so far. A little Hina/Naru if you squint.
- Synopsis: Naruto knew he had parents, he had just not given it thought beyond idle dreams. But with a man before him who could have been him in fifteen years, Naruto realized that of the musing he had done, he had never imagined what his parents looked like.
- Recommended by Reads-By-Lamplight
- Pairings: <None yet>
- Synopsis: In the ninja world Yamanaka Rei lives by two simple tenets. Power is freedom. Freedom is everything. Rei wants freedom and is willing to risk everything to get it.
- Status: Very much active
- Comments: This is hands down the best OC or SI I have ever read, barring a single story from Gladius1. It's well written with very very few grammar mistakes. It's clever without sounding forced, and it manages to be... gritty, probably isn't the best word for it, without being doom and gloom grimdark. The story is down to earth in an odd way. It makes no bones out of the protagonist's dislike for the effective military junta that Konoha is run by yet at the same time avoids bashing anyone. It presents likable interesting characters who have multiple dimensions as well as their own voices and those characters, especially the main character, have discernible and meaningful character arcs over the course of the story. All in all a good story.
- Recommended by Alrune, HirakuJoutei
- Pairing(s): Shika/Tema, Naru/Hina, Sasu/Saku (a little), Chouji/Ino and a few more
- Synopsis: Initially published on deviantART by the author. The Naruverse and the characters are transposed in... World War II (you read that right). An older Shikamaru is a drafted officer that tries to do his job as a soldier the best he can and who also must lead his platoon to victory against the antagonistic Land of the Sound and the bloodthirsty Akatsuki, with the help of the Land of Wind, and his lover/sister-in-arms Temari. First person POV.
- Recommended by SanDemonMax
- Pairings: Nothing official, but plenty of Ship Tease in the accompanying picture and side fics
- Synopsis (taken from the gallery's summary): The journey of Konoha's most unpredictable ninja, Uzumaki Naruto, who strives to become the village's greatest Hokage. However, this time around, the blonde genin has more to hide than just the Fox.
- Last Updated: 2011, for the main story. However, Watashi is still active and posting side pics and fics. The main story hit a road block when the story was found posted on Fanfiction.Net without her consent.
- Recommended by Spector Correcter
- Pairing(s): Naru/Hina
- Synopsis: Completely Original, defying Canon at many points. If certain things had happened, and how they would effect Naruto.
- Recommended by BLloyd607502
- Pairings: Harem
- Synopsis: Naruto gets involved in a stupid bet with Sasuke, resulting in him becoming known as the Masked Super-Ninja Boxer-sama.
- Recommended by Leidolf
- Pairing(s): Naruto x Fuu x OC
- Synopsis: AU. It had been over four years since Sasuke's attempted defection to Orochimaru, and his subsequent return. It had also been over four years since Naruto had been cast out of the Land of Fire. It may have been a mistake on Tsunade's part, but he won't return...
- TVTropes Page
- Recommended by Xylitol Fairy, Draga, Tina Banina 96
- Pairing(s): Too many to list. It's got a little bit of everything, really.
- Synopsis: AU. The main cast of Naruto is working in a modern-day office, and we follow their lives there told exclusively (save from two or three chapters) in emails between the characters. There's office gossip, scandals, romance, murder, humor, crack, drama, rivalry, the list goes on.