Fanfic Recs: Naruto Doujinshi And Fan Comics
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Naruto Doujinshi
and fan comics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
The Naru-Hina Chronicles
by Matt Wilson
- Recommended by Clendy82, beeruckzII
- Pairings: Naruto/Hinata (as stated by the name), Sakura/Sasuke, Neji/Tenten, Chouji/Ino, Hanabi/Konohamaru Kiba/OC, Sai/OC, Hanabi/Moegi and Ino/Sakura
- Synopsis: The story takes place at some unspecified time, but presumably shortly after the conclusion of the manga (at that time the manga was published, so expect some things left out like the Akatsuki or bonding with his demon fox, but he seems to be trying to include these as the comic goes on). During a mission to rescue a group of prisoners from a trio of rogue ninjas, Hinata is knocked over the edge of a cliff and is rescued by Naruto at the last moment, touching off a realization of just how special they are to each other and—, you know what? You've all heard this synopsis before, so I'll move right along. While it may start off as a standard Shipping story, it very quickly evolves into a full-on Original Flavor story in which the rogue ninjas mentioned above are not one-shot characters and are plotting a massive attack on Konoha. Little by little, their plots, motivations, and personalities are revealed, as are those of the traditional characters, in a story that rivals anything else on this page and surpasses quite a few.
- Comments: There is a great deal of impressive storytelling in this archive. Standing at 2500 pages and counting as of this submission, it rivals any but the largest webcomics you could find on the net today. It's easy to see the artist's evolution throughout the story, as quick, faded sketches with no background become more detailed, with backgrounds and a professional-appearing panel layout. As for the story, it is heavily in the tone of Original Flavor, with a healthy dose of Lighter and Softer thrown in because of the emphasis on character relationships. Don't let that label fool you into thinking this is a "Meet-Love-Kiss-Screw" fic; the villains who appear are compelling, the story arcs are top-notch, and characterizations are spot on, with not the slightest hint of a God-Mode Sue anywhere in the series. In fact, much of the story's strength comes from it's original characters. Note that above I said story arcs. As in plural. At 1,000+ pages, you are looking at an Archive Binge like no other. It is a little slow to get going, but once it does, you'll be hooked. Highest recommendation.
- Edit, As of 09/04/2012, there are 131 Chapters / 2,500+ Pages. Good Luck
- YMMV. While the sheer amount of effort put into the comic is very impressive, this troper found himself screaming "You're a freaking ninja!" far, far too often.
- Let me tell you a story... When I first heard of and began reading Naru Hina Chronicles, I thought it was boring, difficult to read and the way it was sketched didn't impress me... But then, months later after more false starts, I was looking at a Gaara/Matsuri group on Deviant ART when I noticed that the pairing seemed to be included in the comic... And so I decided to give it one more chance... And I was HOOKED!!! It's true that it's a bit slow at the beginning, but over time, the story was so deep and intricate but still made sense, the romance - with both Naruto and Hinata and the secondary couples - was done great, the characters were kept in character and the OC's didn't fall into Sue-dom, the plot twists were excellent, and eventually, the little nitpicks I had about it at first disappeared that I couldn't help BUT love it! It was no longer boring, the sketches appealed to me and I got used to the way it was supposed to be read. This is by far the best fan comic for Naruto I've ever read! And it's a LONG read too, so be prepared for it to take up a LOT of your time!
Naruto: Heroes Path
- Recommended by Malchus
- Pairings: The artist focuses mostly on NaruHina, SasuSaku, SasuNaru (for laughs), NejiTen, and ShikaTema. However, all pairings are only secondary at best to the great humor.
- Synopsis: Narutard Theater takes the cast of Naruto and and makes them into a Universal-Adaptor Cast doing affectionate parodies of Disney-fied fairy tales, with lampshade hanging all around.
- Comments: The humor is absolutely hilarious, and kivae even manages to keep the cast in-character to their cannon personalities even when playing the most unexpected roles (like say Naruto as Sleeping Beauty or Gaara as a Fairy Godmother). Good for some crack lulz.
- Recommended by Snes
- Pairings: Naruto is married to Hinata, Sasuke is married to Sakura
- Synopsis: Takes place about one generation after the current story. A group of warriors set out to destroy the ninja world. Meanwhile, Atsuko, the daughter of Hokage Naruto and his wife Hinata, deals with the problems in her own life.
- Comments: An entertaining and well-drawn comic. The plot hasn't really picked up yet, but it's interesting to see where the author puts the old cast years later. Beware of the chronic Schedule Slips.
- Development Hell: Seems to be going through this. As despite being out since 2009 it has only roughly 30 pages made.
Fleeting to Eternal
- Recommended by koolkame
- Synopsis: "Twelve years ago there was a nine-tailed demon fox. A swing of one of its massive tails could cause mountains to crumble and tsunamis to roar over the land. That life has ended now, and the story of the nine-tails has been reborn as that of Naruto. Follow his story with a twist- how will his life play out if he really is the reincarnation of the demon fox Kyuubi? How will his life play out now that... his father is still alive?"
- Comments: An AU where the Fourth Hokage didn't seal the Nine-Tales and instead used a reincarnation jutsu to turn it into a baby he raised as his son, Naruto. First off, the art is almost Original Flavor enough that it can be mistaken for Kisihimoto's at a cursory glance. It swings from funny to dramatic expertly and has excellent OC and original costume designs. And it is funny, particularly Minato's interactions with his Stalker with a Crush Anko and the double date the Uzumaki men go on with Sakura and Anko-and Hinata! It hasn't been updated in a few months but there seven chapters already made with most in color. It wouldn't hurt to check out the rest of Nekoni's art and other doujinshi, especially the dramatic yet also comical Henge and the dark Captured. Captured actually shows Kakashi crying. It's very disturbing... Also available on the artist's personal site here.
- Recommended by fsdfsdfsd
- Synopsis: A partnership, love, and what happens when it's gone. How a sociopathic bomber deals with his life when the one person who matters most dies. Written to fit within Naruto cannon.
- Recommended by Kereea
- Pairings: Obito/Kakashi
- Synopsis: One of the classic "Obito wasn't left behind to die" tales dealing with his relationship through the years with Kakashi.
- Comments: It's very well done. The Will They or Won't They? makes sense when you're dealing with Kakashi, who has no idea what his emotions even are, and Obito, who's been bottling various things up since the rock slide. The art is is also great and really gets the characters' emotions across. Yes, for those who love sticking to canon there's some minor Fridge Logic about how the Kyuubi attack still happens, but overall it's a great read nonetheless.