Fanfic Recs: Naruto Continuation Fics
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Naruto Continuations, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, in alphabetical order, but remember to use the template found here. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
About a Daddy and a Nanny by syaoran no hime
Beautiful Day by Narf-for-the-Garthoc
The Butterfly Effect by The Scarlett Ribbon
Cultivate Your Hunger by dawnstruck
Doing It ANBUby karanguni
From Pride to Shame by dawnstruck
Hands by dawnstruck
In The Blood by justplainrii
In the Breaking by nyet khan
Medicinal Lullaby by Shivakashi
Naruto: Hitoshirezu Years by Peace Writer v.2.5
New Blood by JFalcon
Nothing But Trouble by Mister Cynical
Of Broken Hallelujahs and Healing Hearts by Paige O.o
Parenthood by MarvelHero1610
Path to Greatness: The Story of Team Four by Lunarmaster54
Piece of the Puzzle by Blue Baby Blanket
Salutary Neglect by Thundereaper
Training for the Job by Desaix
Trial by Leaves by Arc The Jedi
White Rain by Zapenstap
About a Daddy and a Nanny by syaoran no hime
- Recommended by: Dellanotte
- Status: Complete
- Pairings: Neji/Tenten, Naruto/Hinata
- Synopsis: "Due to a deathbed promise, inexperienced Neji ends up with an instant son. Enter Tenten, the longlost teammate who poses as a birdbrain nanny for her jounin mission, beginning a tale of love, betrayal, and stinky diapers."
- Comments: How this thing manages to not be a total Crack Fic is beyond me, and yet... Okay, the notion of the ninja knowing of Spongebob is patently absurd, but oh well. There actually is a serious plot, too, but it's sometimes easy to forget when in close proximity to Tenten's cover story. Poor Neji...
- Recommended by Kurtulmak
- Synopsis: Naruto is Hokage, as he has been for the past decade, and enjoys the beautiful day as he checks in with all his old age mates. After all, he knows it's his last day.
- Comments: This oneshot presents an epilogue that's almost too happy and perfect... which only makes Naruto's never ending happy facade all the more heartbreaking. You will cry.
- Recommended by AlleywayKat
- Synopsis: There had been something like an understanding between them once, he thinks; the potential for something more. But with the memory of her shaking kunai and his maniacal laughter between them, neither can help but wonder if it is too late to go back.
- Comments: This is what happens after the War with Madara. Sasuke is back with the village, sorta, and Sakura is his attourny. It mainly focuses on Team 7's relationship after the war, the problems from the begining of their sorta friendship and the after effects of Sakura getting mindraped by Madara. It's little bit slow paced but it's very well written and definitely worth a read.
- Pairing: Naruto/Sasuke.
- Recommend by: Synonyms.
- Synopsis: After six days, Sasuke wakes up. Naruto doesn't.
- Notes: Fix fic, retcon, spoiler for the whole manga.
- Recommended by: Komodo Classic
- Status: Oneshot.
- Synopsis: Rehabilitating Sasuke was supposed to be easier than fighting a war. Three months, sixteen missions, and an uncountable number of attempts on his sanity after taking on ANBU captaincy, Sai was beginning to understand where Yamato-taicho's creepy eyes originated from: let Kakashi take you at unawares too often and, eventually, your face began to stick that way.
- Comments: Possibly belongs under AU (I don't know, I haven't finished the anime.) Centers on Sai, who becomes ANBU captain and remains a bit dubious to Naruto's redemption plan for Sasuke.
- Recommended by CompleteNerd
- Pairings: NaruSaku
- Synopsis: 21-year-old Sakura finds difficulty in recovering from Naruto's death. And as a conspiracy unfolds, everything she believes in becomes challenged by the people she holds dear. Can a kunoichi ever find happiness and peace?
- Comments: Has excellent grammar, the juxtaposition of past and present makes it a bit hard to follow but the plot is excellent and worth a read
- Recommended by Synonyms.
- Pairings: Naruto/Sasuke, past Naruto/Hinata and Sasuke/Sakura, hints of Sarada/Bolt.
- Synopsis: Hiding in the Hokage office had seemed like a great idea. Uzumaki Bolt quickly found out that it really, really wasn't.
- Warning: rough sex in front of a minor, chapter 700 spoiler.
- Recommended by Synonyms.
- Pairing: Naruto/Sasuke.
- Synopsis: Shinobi learn to be ambidextrous early on, but losing half your arm still throws you off balance. There's phantom pain and phantom feeling and generally just the shock of sometimes forgetting the fact that a part of you is missing. Sasuke and Naruto have never seemed more complete.
- Notes: Spoilers up to chapter 698, Sakura POV, team 7 feels.
- Recommended by indigohalf, ShirouHokuto Electroninja, valbinooo, Kesali
- Synopsis: 27 years after the end of the Fourth Shinobi World War, Sasuke has gotten married, started a family, and is about as good at it as you'd expect, when he meets a young boy who strikingly resembles a long-dead Itachi. Later, a red-haired kid appears at the gates of the village, demanding to be taught ninjutsu. Naruto hits it off with the kid alarmingly quickly when it turns out they're related - suggesting that the Itachi look-alike may not be a coincidence, either. The fic is a slowly unfurling mystery firmly grounded in the setting of Konoha and full of familiar faces— canon characters and their children who all have problems of their own.
- Comments: This fic has Loads and Loads of Characters and all of them are believable. The dynamics within Sasuke's family are shockingly realistic, and the OCs are all unique and written with loving care. Sasuke's youngest son, Inou, has stolen my heart already and I'm pretty sure he's not even particularly relevant to the plot. The fic is mystery with lots of seemingly unrelated pieces, and it's not done being written yet, but there's definitely something going on with people who look like people who are supposed to be dead.
- Now has its own tropes page!!
- Recommended by Sebazu, Frodo Lives, Kraesil
- Synopsis: Akatsuki lies broken and Naruto hates the world. Where does he go from here? Follows Naruto after Akatsuki extracts Kyuubi from him.note A mostly insane Naruto remembers Haku and ends up single-handedly running an orphanage for bloodline children in Mizu- but in a country prone to civil wars, things aren't quite that simple. Especially when said orphanage is home to several promising shinobi with no allegiance to any of the preexisting fractions.
- Comments: Just the way it portrays naruto's gradually recovering sanity makes it worth.
- Brilliant, brilliant fic. Interesting style, and excellent writing. Dead, but well worth a read.
- Recommended by Kurtulmak, Arcane Azmadi, mutecebu
- Now has its own tropes page.
- Pairings: Naruto x Sakura.
- Synopsis: Upon returning home from his failed mission to retrieve Sasuke and finding about Jiraiya's death, Naruto gains new responsibilities and a new set of priorities when a girl shows up on his doorstep pregnant.
- Comments: This fic covers Naruto's struggle to raise his daughter and to keep her and Konoha safe from Akatsuki over 8+ years. Naruto matures and grows into his power as a father, as a jinchuriki, as a teacher, and as Konoha's greatest defender. The fic has an appropriately epic feel as it covers more of Naruto's life than the original manga, and the author tells the story of its characters' growth well.
- Recommended by Dorian
- Synopsis: Set during the timeskip, Hanabi Hyuga starts her journey on her path to becoming a ninja. With her teammates Kaji and Wasumaru, and Shintaro, her jonin teacher, they strive to become the best, navigating the twists and turns along the way.
- Comments: Starts from the academy, and then quickly picks up after that. The fic has been praised for its fight scenes and for the original characters.
- Recommended by Rogue 7, Crazywannabee, Hush, beeruckzII
- Pairings: Shikamaru/Temari
- Synopsis: A Naruto futurefic that is best summed up with the word "epic". It's got Loads and Loads of Characters — many of the main characters of the current Naruto continuity now all have three-man genin teams of their own, and there are characters from the other hidden villages.
- Comments: What's striking about it is both the quality of the characters — all of them are believable and deep — and the sheer length of the thing — it's over 300,000 words. The action is quality, and the characterization of non-OCs is spot-on. Though it's difficult to follow the sporadic updates, and next to impossible to actually keep track of all the various plotlines, it's highly recommended. Best in large doses.
- Recommended by Kagescorpionakki, Frodo Lives, mutecebu
- Pairings: Minor Naruto x Sakura, mostly Naruto x Anko
- Synopsis: Decades after the end of the series, Naruto is now the leader of the Village Hidden in the Spring, - a place full of alcoholics and missing ninja - illegally, of course. Sakura comes to tell him that Tsunade is recalling him for the Chunin Exams. Hilarity Ensues.
- Comments: A comedic story, with darker undertones. It has quite a few OCs, namely Sakura's genin team and everybody in the Spring village except Naruto and Koyuki Kazahana. Naruto is also something of a sadistic Jerk Ass Stu, but it's usually played for laughs.
- Recommended by Kurtulmak
- Pairings: Sasuke x Sakura (minor Naruto x Hinata as well)
- Synopsis: Sasuke, now leader of Sound four years after killing Orochimaru and Itachi, comes to Konoha to settle peace. His one ironclad demand for the treaty? Haruno Sakura. A fic about Sakura's year in Sound.
- Comments: A well-written romance fic for a relationship that gets off to a very rocky start for the two. The story takes place almost entirely from Sakura's point of view for the first half and very well portrays how frustrating it is to try to read past Sasuke's stoic facade of apathy. Completed, with epilogue.
- Recommended by Lykaios The Spartan
- Status: Complete with a sequel being prepared
- Pairings: Sasuke x Sakura and Naruto x Hinata
- Synopsis: Having finally settled down with Sakura, Sasuke has grown comfortable with the "boring" life he leads as a father and husband. Things with the Uchiha are never simple however as Sasuke's past comes back to haunt him and threatens to destroy his family...
- Comments: It's a very well-written and intricately plotted romance/mystery story. The story is entirely from Sasuke's point of view and though some may argue that his characterization is initially a little OOC especially when he's around his family, I found that it was an appropriate maturation of his character. Don't worry, he's still the same Badass.
- Recommended by: Gambit90
- Status: In progress
- Pairings: None so far
- Synopsis: Its been Thirty years since the end of the fourth great ninja war. This is the story of a new generation as they become legends, the challenges they face, and the next great threat to the shinobi world.
- Comments: Shaping up to be a pretty solid continuation fic. Updates are fast and the OCs aren't just mirrors of the original NaruSasuSaku. I think its worth a read.
- Recommended by KillingCurseEyes
- Pairings: Sasuke/Sakura, Naruto/Momo(oc)
- Synopsis: Sakura married Sasuke. After their wedding Naruto gets word of Akatsuki preparing for war and leaves to take them on all by himself. He wins, but ends up in a coma for years. Upon awakening, he meets Sakura and Sasuke's eldest daughter, Uchiha Momo, who decides that Naruto, the man her parents respect most, is the man for her. WIP
- Comments: The story starts with Naruto telling his children about how him and their mother got together. At first Momo is only 12, but it's mostly one-sided romance until she gets older. Has some fan art.
- Recommended by Red Viking
- Pairings: Naruto/Tayuya
- Synopsis: Determined not to have anyone sacrifice themselves for his sake ever again, Naruto leaves Konoha after the incident with Hidan and Kakuzu, and makes a living off collecting the bounties of other missing-nins. Along the way, he just might discover a new nindo to follow along with new precious people to protect, and that this new purpose was his true calling all along.
- Comments: An absolutely amazing fic that really sucks you in and is back from the dead. The author does a good job with Naruto and Tayuya's relationship and you can see that the two care deeply for each other, even though they haven't made anything official and Naruto's somewhat of a ladies' man. I really like the way Tayuya's portrayed since one gets the sense that this is what her canon self could have been like had she found people important to her. The story also contains lots of swearing (not all of it from Tayuya).
- Recommended by Much Good Little Time
- Pairings: Naruto/Sakura
- Synopsis: To help Naruto prepare for his dream of being a future Hokage, Tsunade assigns him to a brand new ninja village that the Hidden Leaf is founding near the border of Wave Country, where he will have a major leadership role in getting the new village up and running. But time isn't just going to stand still while Blossom gets built. Sasuke is still loose in the world, more unstable and dangerous than ever, and back home in the Hidden Leaf Village clan disputes are threating to spill over into civil war....
- Comments: 400k words; after a lengthy hiatus, new chapters are being posted again as of January, 2014.
- Recommended by Shay Caron
- Synopsis: Begins several years after the series. Naruto's comrades aren't sure he's ready to become the next Hokage yet, so each one arranges a test concerning one quality they feel is important for him to have.
- Comments: Excellent fights and heartwarming moments.
- Recommended by Nitramy
- Status: Complete
- Pairings: Sasuke / Sakura
- Synopsis: A mysterious woman arrives in Konoha seeking asylum for herself...and Itachi's children. As Hokage, Naruto wants to trust her. Sasuke struggles with suspicion. Sakura struggles with Sasuke. Desperate to protect his family, Itachi's son becomes a Leaf-Nin.
- Comments: A very well-done Naruto story written with a more Seinen slant - and dealing with a usual scenario that ends up uncovering a bigger can of worms than anyone ever expected. Very highly recommended.
- Now has a tropes page!