We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Fanfic Recs: Naruto Peggy Sue Fics
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Naruto Peggy Sue
fic, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic you like to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
All Is Relative Except the Stubbornness of a Demon
by Uncle Stojil
- Recommended by kalasu
- Synopsis: The Kyuubi doesn't want to die. He cannot even grasp the idea of himself dying. He's meant to be immortal and he has no intention whatsoever to go against his very nature. True, he's stuck inside Naruto, but the boy has absolutely no say in this matter.
- Shay Guy: I've only read the first chapter, but I'm already in love with this version of Naruto, his attitude toward life, the degree to which he clearly loves all the people around him, the adamant refusal to character-bash, the aversion of the "One True Love" concept (Naruto has had several different wives over the centuries and loves them all, and this love isn't treated as more "real" than any other)...it's a breath of fresh air.
- Clendy82: Totally agreed for pretty much the exact reasons Shay Guy puts out above. Far and away the best Naruto-based Peggy Sue story I've ever come across. The Shipping angle is incredibly original from a Fan Fic point of view in that while he may have a true love this time, it doesn't mean it will be the same in his next life, nor does it mean that any one pairing is better than the other. Also very refreshing in that, unlike other Peggy Sue fics, Naruto doesn't try to create an ideal life or fix all of his past mistakes, instead just taking events as they come and delighting in the originality of each new life. The only negative is it's relative brevity thus far; it's the kind of story that deserves to be enjoyed with a hearty Archive Binge. Hopefully we can look forward to many updates in the near future. Highest recommendation.
- Arcane Azmadi: The concept truly is brilliant, especially when you let Fridge Logic in to think of all the things Naruto would have done over his near-infinite lives (a throwaway OC is introduced for one scene who Naruto apparently married seven times in past lives). Sadly, it's a Dead Fic, having not been updated in over two years (just as things were about to get really good too).
- Status: Last updated Jun 2009
- Recommended by Sarah1281, boonerunner, M.W.Midnight, Athenaswings, Komodo Classic
- Synopsis: Itachi's just died...and woken up thirteen again. The only problem is his thirteen year-old self doesn't like the idea of sharing his mind and body with his clan's killer. How hard would you fight to save your family from yourself? ::AU::
- Comments: Even if the story does start off a bit slow plot-wise, it is fascinating to watch the two Itachi's interact with each other, with the younger one starting off convinced he's hallucinating and the older one thinking he's having a dying dream. The Uchiha are portrayed as much more complicated characters than they usually come off as and they actually have some legitimate grievances beyond wanting more power. The massacre seems to be much more intricate than just Itachi carrying out an order to stop a coup and the suspense of watching Itachi try and stop what he knows is coming without really understanding what's going on and seeing the signs of what's to come already is great.
- Status: Complete
The Beginning Again
- recommended by Absent Dreamer
- Pairings: narusasu (past), narukaka (current), genma/raidou
- Synopsis: Naruto’s friends are gone, his lover is dying, Konoha is destroyed, and Madara’s second return has pushed the entire world to the brink. Hunted and harried, Naruto is sent back in time to upend Madara’s plan before it even starts, and sets about changing everything. Butterfly effect nothing: the world is at stake, and Naruto is hardly about to let it fall to ruin once more. Not while he’s still breathing.
- Comments: this is a fairly lighthearted story, focusing on the relationships between the characters (especially Team 7) with the secondary plot being taking care of the reason that Naruto traveled back in time in the first place.
- Status: complete
by.Absolutely Insane Romantic
- Recommended by Halinmonk
- Pairings: Sasusaku
- Synopsis: Revenge escalates into something infinitely more dangerous, and Sakura is given the chance to travel back in time and somehow set everything right once again.
- Comments: Despite a relatively flimsy excuse for time travel, this manages to be one of the most well written time travel fic on the net. Sakura and company are written in incredibly in character, and the description of the apocalyptic end of the village at Saskue's hands makes for a well reed. Even the most difficult to write characters are in-character in one of the situations that demands OCC-ness the most. If for nothing else read for the interesting take on how Sakura sees everything, and the witty humor that was lost in the time skip.
- Status: Rewrite last updated Mar 2011
by The King in White
Chunin Exam Day
- Recommended by: AQZT
- Has its own page.
- Synopsis: "Rokudaime Hokage Uchiha Sasuke is a man with nothing beyond duty to the dead. Yet when a second chance comes from the lips of a demon, his battles begin anew... Time Travel/Redo,Female Naruto"
- Pairings: Sasuke/Fem!Naruto
- Comments: Takes place in an AU in which Naruto was born a girl. Most of the events of canon played out as canon until the time of the Fourth Shinobi World War. In the aftermath of the war, Naruto is dead, Sasuke is the Juubi jinchuriki. Due to his actions during the time when he was evil, most of the Konoha 11 and newest generation of Konoha shinobi hate him. In the midst of this, the Juubi offers Sasuke a deal: Sasuke gets to go back in time far enough to save Naruto, and the Juubi has a new chance for freedom.
- Status: Last updated January 6, 2013
by Perfect Lionheart
Cloud Age Symphony
- Has its own page now
- Recommended by Catt, Cherico reluctantly, jaelin910
- Pairings: Naruto/Harem
- Synopsis: Naruto finds he is flung back in time and must repeat the entire Chuunin Exam over and over and over, until he gets it right and possibly saves Konoha in the bargain.
- Comments: One of, if not the most reviewed Naruto Story on Fanfic.net, it spans an epic seventy odd chapters, and is nearing its conclusion. It can go from funny to awesome to insightful. Goes out of its way to explore and rationalize the setting. However, due to the author being a little bit over-sensitive, he has been known to waffle on as a sort of revenge against negative reviews, leading to some pointlessness. Also, be warned that a lot of bashing takes place, especially Sasuke, Kakashi, and the canon author in particular. Many critique the shallowness of his female characters. This fic is highly controversial with a sizable Fandom and Hatedom. You have been warned. Please keep comments to the discussion page rather than rehash flamewars here.
- Status: Last updated Mar 2010
- Recommended by Defade, boonerunner
- Synopsis: Naturally, Uzumaki Naruto chose the more complicated parts of being a sealing master: time travelling. Which is exactly why he's mastered such and is trying his hardest not to mess anything up. And also naturally, nothing is going to plan.
- Comments: Somewhere between all the time-hopping Naruto does, he ends up in Minato's era - and finds it harder and harder to let go. This piece of work is quite different from the usual Peggy Sue fics in that Naruto isn't actively trying to change anything - having been warned by Jiraiya about possible consequences -, he's content just to be there and spend time with his father. The author's writing is beautiful, and really sets an unique atmosphere and tone for the story. Certain sentences really tug at your heartstrings, especially when Minato's team starts reminding Naruto more and more of his own team, before Sasuke left and shattered the unique dynamic they had. This leads to interesting realizations. However, one complaint that has been often filed against this story was how mellow Naruto was portrayed as. This is by no means a completely dark and depressing story, but Naruto has definitely deviated quite a bit from his cheery self. This troper didn't mind, but YMMV.
- Status: Completed
Do You Remember Love
- Recommended by shurasan
- Pairings: None.
- Synopsis: Pein's final technique wasn't control over death, but time. Naruto, sent back to start his life over, has a chance to change it all. Stuck with a differing Kyuubi attack and a wary, overprotective Fourth, will Naruto be able to do as he planned? GENFIC.
- Comments: An interesting take on the Naruto-Goes-Back-In-Time and Minato Lives! tropes. The author has a slow build-up for the beginning, but she/he is really fleshing out the characters and settings. If this wasn't fanfiction, I'd say that this was a professional author's work. I liked seeing the creativity in the story, as well as how Sys built Minato's character. To sum it up: Good grammar, wonderful plot so far, characters staying true to form and a slightly psychotic nanny for Naruto. What more could you ask for?
- Unclouded TJ: I honestly found it a bit on the boring side, but that might change in the future once Systatic gets Naruto to the state of his life where he can both be taken seriously and talk in sentences. Also keep in mind this was made before the reveal of what actually happened to Naruto's mother so keep that change in mind when they get to it.
- Icsifil: It is acquainted with fannon and sometimes loses logic because of it. An illustrative example is where, four months after Naruto's birth, the council members want to know who the baby is (despite Kushina's relationship apparently being well known and the baby looking like Minato) because the boy is with Minato everywhere and Minato thinks of them as nosy bigots. Other than that type of thing, it's par in terms of writing skill. You can enjoy it.
- Status: Last updated Oct 2011
, by DigiFruit
End of one world
- Recommended by Red Viking, boonerunner, kagetsukure
- Pairings: Naruto/Sakura
- Synopsis: The shadow clone technique was forbidden for a reason: it is a curse because it splits your soul between clones. When you die, you find yourself alive again in place of a shadow clone in order of creation with the memories of your previous lifetime completely intact. What does this mean for Naruto, who created thousands of clones during his original lifetime?
- Comments: Very interesting take on the Peggy Sue fic. By the time this story begins, Naruto has already gone through several cycles and periodically changes things not to set things right, but so there will be some variety within his new lifetime so he won't grow bored.
- Status: Complete
(dead link) by esama
False Memories (previously WhooTimeTravel)
- Recommended by isadorathegreat, Frodo Lives
- Synopsis: With his fire cold and all he left behind in ruin, Sasuke gives up his life and trusts in his brother's word.
- Comments: Sasuke watches most of the world's inhabitants being burnt and/or eaten to death for a while. Then, he decides to use a secret ninja art to travel back in time to his genin days and turn Naruto into a Hokage (or "his Hokage", as he puts it). Sasuke also plans to use the Team 7 interactions and bonding time to get him out of the habit of being emotionless and cold-hearted. While the premise sounds cracky and a little ridiculous, the author handles the plot and characters quite well, offering some interesting interpretations of various motivations and events at the same time.
- Status: Last updated Jan 2010 : as of Feb 2013 Esama has appeared to have removed all her fanfics from the web.
by Relden Calder
For The Love of My Friends
- Recommended by Heliomance, Rogue 7, RoamingShadow, Magic Kirby
- Synopsis: At the Chuunin exams, the Kage's Box where the Hokage, his wife, the Kazekage and the Kage's aides are sitting gets attacked by person or persons unknown.
Fifteen years in the past, Naruto, Hinata, Gaara, Shikamaru and Temari wake up with all the memories they accumulated up to the attack - despite the fact they're just ten years old. Features excellent characterization, very good grammar, and a fascinating plot that never breaks verisimilitude.
- Status: Ongoing, last updated December 24, 2013. Tends to go several months between updates.
Fox in the Rain
- Recommended by Whatshisface, Magic Kirby
- Pairings: NaruHina
- Synopsis: For Naruto, time was always of the essence, especially when he knew everything that would come to pass and only had a certain amount of time to change it all. WILL NOT BE CONTINUED.
- Comments: An excellently written fic. Be warned, it's a Peggy Sue fic, but the story is actually very believable and the characters stay in character. Recommended to any Naruto fans.
- Officially A Dead Fic. Still worth the read.
- Even though it may be a Dead Fic it spans 57 chapters and over half a million words, there is plenty of story to read before it cuts off.
- Status: Officially discontinued as of Feb 2010
(dead link) by esama
- Recommended by isadorathegreat, kjjejones42, boonerunner, Athenaswings
- Pairing(s): Eventual Naruto/Jiraiya, apparently.
- Synopsis: Naruto is ready to die but Itachi and Nagato aren't satisfied; he made promises and they make him keep them.
- Comments: This story is fascinating because Naruto is physically sent back in time, not to his childhood, but to when Jiraiya is still teaching a much younger Yondaime and Nagato hasn't yet become Pain. Naruto's skill set also changes dramatically because of the time displacement and his almost-death. It becomes a big plot point in the story, along with the usual Fix Fic tendencies.
- kjjejones42: What I found especially interesting about this fic is how unlike many other Peggy Sue Fics the main focus is not on making Naruto stronger so he can fix his own, personal problems, but rather how it has a Naruto who is already strong and is sent back to fix problems on a wider scale also, it ends up that Yahiko's dream of peace inspires Naruto to follow him rather than the other way around. The writing and characterization in this fic is simply beautiful, and the apparent Naruto/Jiraiya is nonexistent so far so you shouldn't be put off by that.
- Status: Last updated Dec 2011 : as of Feb 2013 Esama has appeared to have removed all her fanfics from the web.
- Recommended by Random832, Unclouded TJ
- Synopsis: Every ending is a new beginning, and often the endings of different stories come together for a new one. But this one might have some rather worrying implications for the world.
- Comments: Basically - Naruto goes back in time from the standard timeline, Sasuke goes back in time from a timeline where he had the Kyubi instead, and an alcoholic Sakura goes back in time from a timeline so crapsack that allying with Madara was the best option. They all end up in the same timeline, on the day of the Genin exams. It gets worse. Epicly so.
- Unclouded TJ: Rather well done and loves to flip-flop between serious and comedic. Unfortunately, it's bordering on a Dead Fic.
- Status: Last update September 2010
- Recommended by: Magic Kirby, Frodo Lives, Veloren, jealin910
- Synopsis: AU time travel: The kyuubi no kitsune knew something was wrong, but couldn't put a paw on quite what. However, there are benefits to being a force of nature, including time itself bending to accommodate you.
- Comments: to give you a better idea of what is actually like in the first chapter kyuubi seals Madara in his own body and takes it over, after turning it female of course, and travels to Konoha. Better then it sounds.
- Status: Completed
The Good Wife
- Recommended by Veloren
- Synopsis: Jutsu intrinsically twist the laws of physics and what is possible. Sakura really shouldn't be surprised when accidentally mixing a few of them pretzels time and space.
- Comments: Sakura goes back in time, to the night of the Kyuubi attack. Flashfic series.
The Hidden Prodigy
- Recommended by: Arcane Azmadi
- Pairings: Ino/Naruto and numerous others that should be left as surprises, most notably Hinata/Gaara.
- Synopsis: One moment 16-year old Yamanaka Ino was sitting at a ramen stand next to Uzumaki Naruto. The next moment 37-year old Uzumaki Ino was standing in the home she shared with her husband the 6th Hokage and their two beloved children. Suddenly thrown into a life she has no knowledge of, how can Ino deal with being a wife and mother when she's really still just a young girl? What caused her to end up here? And can she ever return to her own life? Even more importantly, will she still want to?
- Comments: Initially this story seems to be an uncommon concept- a reverse Peggy Sue fic. As the story moves on though, it's revealed there's even more to it than initial impressions suggest. The basic concept of Ino attempting to integrate into her own future life raises really fascinating issues, especially her relationship with "her" children. There's a significant mystery element as well and a number of startling reveals, most notably the fact that "future" Ino has been swapped into "canon" Ino's 16-year old body and they're actually from alternate timelines, not 2 time periods of the same timeline, which raise the stakes even more. Updated at least once a month, or more.
In Myriad Ways
- Recomended by @ Rosse
- Pairings: None
- Synopsis: Somehow sent back into the past, Kakashi is given a second chance to relive his childhood. He is determined to make the most of everyday and to fix the horrors of the future, but sometimes, simple determination is not enough to save everyone. Despite so, Kakashi promises to never stop trying. Time-travel.
- Comments: Kakashi wakes up as his six year old self and gets the chance to save his father (and likely his teammates in the future). Prepare tissues, because you will want to cry at several points. Chapters vary in length, but skew towards the shorter.
- Status: Last updated April 27
by Charles Bhepin
It's For a Good Cause, I Swear!
- Recommended by FLCNPNCH
- Synopsis: It's a Peggy Sue with a twist: Naruto slowly goes completely insane. Sent back in time by the Shinigami to just before the Chuunin Exam, Naruto...well, just read it for yourself.
- Comments: Keep in mind that this is just the (epic awesome) prologue, and that there probably won't be any more until the author's other project is complete. It's a Naruto fanfic by Charles Bhepin. Charles freaking Bhepin. For those who don't know who he is, he's the guy that made Shinji and Warhammer 40k. Yes, that Charles Bhepin. As such, this promises to be the most ridiculously awesome Naruto fic in history.
- Shay Guy: Did I spot a Take That or three against Chunin Exam Day? :-)
- USA Bobcat: Like the quip by the Shingami:"even now I wait over a golden throne," and wait and wait and wait! But this means that Naruto is in the 40k 'verse, and we all know what happens when Charles Bhepin involves 40k in a story.
- Frodo Lives: I am still trying to figure out why this has been recommended. Yea, some people like the authors previous work, but its a single chapter that hasn't been updated in 4 years. Recommending it is kind of like nominating a movie for the Oscars after only seeing the trailer.
- Status: Last updated Dec 2008
The Leaf's Naruto
- Recommended by TTG, lanky, Quote Marx, Creek917, Fire Lizard In A Bottle, boonerunner, Unclouded TJ, Magic Kirby, Athenaswings, jaelin910, kagetsukure
- Synopsis: After receiving a time travel jutsu as payment for a mission, the original four members of Team 7 each get a chance to go back to one event in their life and change it. Surely they will use such an awesome power responsibly...right? will they actually fix the problems, or just make more? Has now been completed.
- Comments: The author must be commended for the excellent characterizations; she obviously has a strong hold on all the characters. The humor is great as well. I found myself smiling/laughing every few seconds, especially when Team 7 picks on each other or knowledge from the future to bug someone or freak someone out! The plot is well-crafted, and has a very Original Flavor feel to it. I just have to reiterate the great humor. The Therapy Jutsu gag in particular stood out to me, as well as the near-constant ribbing of Sasuke about his quest of vengeance from the original timeline.
- lanky: You'll laugh quite a bit. The plot of having characters "arrive" in a changed timeline makes for a crap ton of jokes, including a certain accusation of murder which becomes a recurring gag. That said, some of the throwaway lines are surprisingly well-thought out and integral to the motivations of the characters, which just makes this so much more interesting.
- Fire Lizard In A Bottle: I spent a very enjoyable day reading through this, and the part of the next rereading my favorite parts. I laughed hard, and there were several touching moments between the characters, despite themselves. Not only one of the best Naruto fic's out there, but one of the best fics I've ever read, period.
- fantasyweaver: The best part of this is that it's complete. And I loved how Kakashi actually cares about his students in this one. I want a oneshot that explains the squirrel gag though. Plus the in-character Deadpan snarking never gets old. Actually, anything by this author is recommended.
- Leonite: I rarely ever laugh so hard I stop reading for a short bit. Only two fanfics have done that, and this is one of them. Naruto's fight in the preliminary rounds of the Chuunin Exams is hilarious, as is the Vengence and Gaarra's friend's running gags. Never have the words "not on the list" been so funny.
- Stratagemini Most of the author's stuff is pretty good, but this fic takes the cake. I was quite literally laughing out loud as I read it. Even the most 'useless' of characters is hilarious. A definite must read.
- Kazeto: It's pretty much a crack fiction with a serious plot (or rather, recreation of what was left of it). And it is a very good read if you are looking for something funny.
- Status: Complete
- Has its own page now.
by Mortas Priest
A Lifetime of Chances
- Recommended by: HalfBloodPrincess, Unclouded TJ, Magic Kirby, Killing Curse Eyes, jaelin910
- Synopsis: "There's something to be said for keeping the past as it was - makes it predictable, malleable. Naruto never bought those arguments. He's always been the one to power through adversity rather than wait it out, so why would now be any different? He'll do what has to be done, even if he steps on a few butterflies along the way."
- Pairings: None.
- Comments: Yet another 'Naruto goes back in time to fix everything', but this Naruto is not one above assassination or the outright manipulation of others, at least at the start. A darker and edgier Naruto is about to rewrite history, but there are consequences that not even he could have predicted.
- Status: In progress. 23 chapters, last updated February 2014, first published June 2012.
by The Wandering Delusion
The Lives Worth Saving
- Recommended by: Killing Curse Eyes, Unclouded TJ, Pthalo, Komodo Classic
- Pairings: Seems to be a Gen Fic, with lots of SasuNaruSaku friendship
- Synopsis: Due to several different techniques and powers tossed into a pot and mixed up, Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke are stuck in an endless "Groundhog Day" Loop. So of course they're going to live by their own rules and do whatever they want.
- Comments: Done in the style of one-shots with one per loop, and not in chronological order, so effectively more of a connected series than a WIP so far, with no cliffhangers.
- Status: In progress, last updated May 2013.
- Tags: Leaning towards being a Crack Fic with some brief Dark Fic moments.
Mixed With the Lightning of Slaughter
- Recommended by: TheForgottenOne, Unclouded TJ
- Synopsis: "Naruto, at 26, has lived through 10 years of war. At the end, with nothing left to call home, he sends himself back to the beginning, to the day of his younger self's graduation, in an attempt to change it all. Time travel AU. *as taken from fanfiction.net"
- Pairings: None.
- Comments: Starts off with the typical Naruto goes back in time to change the past after everyone killed off in a giant war. Naruto is a bit of a gary stu in this story, as everyone seems to like him immediately after meeting him, but it's balanced with the fact that he mostly wants to be left alone, which is where his gary stu-ness backfires. Overall, it's a interesting read.
- Status: Last updated May 2012
A Moment in History
- Recomended by Cherico, Athenaswings
- Synopsis: Sasuke goes back in time and goes slightly crazy as a result.
- Comments: One of the better Sasuke time travel fics out there.
- Status: Ongoing, last updated Sep 2012.
by Darth Malleus.
Naruto: Game of the Year Edition
- Recommended by Darman
- Synopsis: As the Kyuubi no Yoko descends upon the Hidden Village of Konoha, as Madara begins his plans to bring 'peace' to the world, he is unaware of three figures, watching him from atop the Hokage Mountain.
- Comments: A short but emotional fic, with Team 7 traveling to the moment of the Kyuubi attack, will they be able to save their loved ones?
- Status: Completed
by Majin Hentai X.
The Naruto Omake Files Innortal Style
- Recommended by Bloodfist, Unclouded TJ, Tanebi
- Pairings: Naruto/Harem
- Synopsis: People play games everyday. But what happens when Naruto is trapped IN one? Can Naruto break the cycle, and end, the game of the year?
- Comments: Naruto's entire life is a game. He finds this out by dying in the first minute of the story and getting scored for his performance in life. He does not score well. It's not all bad, though, because he can try his life again... through a new game. The interesting thing about this story is that Naruto has no idea what the hell he's doing. He goes from event to event trying not to screw things up royally. He's not very successful, going so far as to even cause a glitch in the game, making it crash. TWICE. Word of warning though: Naruto manages to fend off Orochimaru in the forest (for a change) but ends getting fucked up in the process. If that doesn't bother you, you'll most likely enjoy this.
- Now has its own page here.
- Fire Lizard In A Bottle: Decent fic, but it has really intense highs and lows. The first chapter had me laughing very hard. The presence of Sasuke's OC sister isn't fully explained, and the sheer amount and tastelessness of the gay/transsexual jokes (I'm not usually offended by low humor, but this was about a chapter's worth) really put me off. Despite having a beta/cowriter, the grammar mistakes are numerous to the point where names are not capitalized much of the time. It's still imaginative and still mostly funny, but YMMV.
- Nacht Ritter: There seem to be quite a few things in this fic that look like they were pulled straight out of the mid twentieth century. Chapter 9 has a particularly egregious example of Double Standard - on its quest to get Naruto laid, Kyuubi essentially calls a girl a disease ridden whore. Because she had a reputation as a flirt. In spite of those moments, however, the story is definitely one of the better Naruto fics out there.
- Icsifil: I would like it if not for the queerphobic and misogynistic jokes. Some lovely quotes include "it's obviously a woman, 'cause nobody can gripe about the most inane shit like a bitchy woman" and, in reference to a trans person, "I've been permanently scarred for life by your mental imagery."
- Status: Last updated May 2013
Naruto: Ramen Days
- Recommended by Catt, Magic Kirby, jaelin910
- Synopsis: Random Tales, no consistent synopsis. New Intros: This group is based on a Groundhog's Day concept, if time was looping, and certain members were aware of this. These are their insanities.
- Comments: So far there are five stories in this, and though the first four are good, the true gold comes from the New Intros story. Naruto is looping through time, and has fun on the way. Eventually Sasuke and Sakura join him in the loops and similarly keep themselves entertained, in vrious way, including but not limited to; breaking Kakashi, corrupting everyone they can get their hands on, and even at one point creating a mirror image village of Konoha. Be warned, this also has crossover elements to it, including Bleach, Eva, Harry Potter, and most especially Ranma.
- Status: Last updated Mar 2010
- Recommended by: Unclouded TJ, Icsifil, Khym Chanur
- Synopsis: After dying at the end of the Sand-Sound Invasion, Naruto finds that his life is governed by a strange set of rules that he is still trying to figure out. VideoGame!Naruto
- Pairings: None.
- Comments: One of the many "Naruto stuck in a Video Game" fanfics out there. This one I find unique in that it skips over much of the tutorial (for good reason) and has Naruto figure things out as he goes. A lot of focus is on character interactions and changes this Naruto, who's died four times, has on the world.
- Icsifil: It definitely distances itself refreshingly from Game of the Year and common fanfic plots. It's very skilfully written (and nice and long). I'm definitely anticipatory about new plot elements. I love the character development, especially in regards to Sasuke. (In other words, ignoring the problematic uses of bitch, etc., it's a good story).
- zero_traveler: Haha, it doesn't "skip" the tutorial as much as Treat everything up to the end of the Chunin Exams as the Tutorial
- Status: Incomplete. 14 chapters, last updated October 2013, first published February 2012.
- Recommended by ladyofthelibrary
- Pairings: Naruhina, Shikatema, Sasusaku, Minato/Kushina
- Synopsis: (taken from fanfiction.net) "A 10 years old Naruto meets a man who will change his life and the Ninja Nations, but will it be for good? The Yondaime has returned and he is not happy. NaruHina later."
- Comments: One of the most bizarre time-travelling fics I have EVER read. However it combines humor (omakes at the end of most chapters and the April Fools Day pranks come to mind), the many, many heartwarming scenes and the and the sheer amount of awesome in who exactly came back. The first time-traveler I'll list is pretty common: Shikamaru (who is still awesome by the way). Then there's Temari, an uncommon character but one who has been done somewhat. Then there are the surprises: Minato as listed in the summary and...SHINO! I almost can't describe how wonderful it is to see Shino given a spotlight since I have developed a fondness for him based on the Fanon interpretations of him in stories where he's a background character and I just love how he has been brought to the fore for this story. What are you doing just reading this recommendation? Go read this story now!
by Twin Trouble
Perchance to Dream
- Recommended by: Dellanotte
- Synopsis: "Sakura is worried about her teammates. They've been behaving very strangely... No pairings."
- Comments: Somehow, Naruto and Sasuke have come back in time, to their post-Wave bodies. You will figure this out within seven lines, aka around the time Sakura notices Naruto's wardrobe change and the fact that he and Sasuke are getting along. And trolling everyone, because apparently Sasuke now jokes. To be fair, they're now 23.
- Status: Likely Dead Fic (and only two chapters), but the twins are still active on the site.
, by TaikoHawk
- Recommended by JBlaze, boonerunner
- Synopsis: Uchiha Itachi hadn't planned for this possibility, but then, if he'd had his way, he would be dead. How this had happened was a useless question. What mattered was, what would he do now? To be or not to be... It all hinged on his choices. Time travel.
- Comments: This fic contains little to no of the titular title character, but it hardly matters. Instead, TaikoHawk sends Itachi back in time, who finds himself eleven again, and facing an Uchiha clan on the verge of rebellion. Unlike a lot of Peggy Sue fics, the author takes the time to explain how and why the time travel took place using Madara's space/time jitsus for a plot device that works. With some really amazing fight and training scenes, and an absolutely gut-wrenching climax, this isn't one to miss! Also, Contains numerous Crowning Moments of Awesome and Heartwarming including Sakura, Sasuke, and Kakashi, all kept very in-character and realistic in their response to the protagonist. Highly recommended for its spotlighting of various minor Uchiha, such as Mikoto and Shisui. Especially satisfying if you're an Itachi fan or upset at canon's answer to his final fate.
- Status: Completed, with several sequels also completed.
- Recommended by FLCNPNCH, X Shouldve Died, Draga, Kajeet, RinSimyaldee,boonerunner, Kazeto, Frodo Lives, USA Bobcat
- Synopsis: Naruto and Sasuke have been trapped for an undefined length of time in a cycle of Peggy Sues. The end result is a very, very crazy Naruto who uses the power of SCIENCE! and an equally crazy Sasuke who has no gender identity - or, at most, a decidedly female one. At the start of one repeat, Naruto convinces Sasuke(-chan) to go on a road trip; their ultimate goal is a Ramen Festival in Suna. Inuzuka Hana joins them as the Only Sane Man. Then we're introduced to Naruto's most frightening creation - Keisei. Hilarity Ensues.
- Comments: While the premise might not appear interesting for some, just give it a chance. It has just the right amount of crackiness and seriousness, and Sasuke's and Naruto's personalities only add to fun. Fangirls' reactions to Sasuke acting like a female and being on friendly terms with Naruto are also hilarious.
- Status: Last updated Sept 2009
by Kai Maciel
- Recommended by: The Roaming Shadow
- Synopsis: After the war ended, the world ended with it. In death, Naruto drowns in despair for being unable to be the savior everyone hoped until he's offered a deal to bring the world and everybody back. However, it comes with a heavy price: the existence of Uzumaki Naruto. A Peggy Sue fic with a unique twist.
- Comments: While this story is currently just three chapters long, the writing, storyline, and characterizations make this story worthy of recommendation. In this new reality, Naruto was a stillborn and more than one baby was born on July 23rd of that year.
by (Just Subliminal
Teach Your Children Well
- Recommended by: jediofthesea, Frodo Lives, Komodo Classic
- Synopsis: "Six year old Haruno Sakura was short, skinny, and high-pitched to a painful degree when she could be goaded into raising her voice. The twenty-two year old Haruno Sakura was cursing her younger self. Still, she had a whole life to get ready for. Again. AU"
- Comments: Amazing. Simply amazing. The author's OCs seem as if they could have actually been canon!
- Status: Last update January 2013.
Team 7: A Retelling
- Recommended by capeclare, Long Live Humour
- Synopsis: After Madara's final attack on the village, Rokudaime Kakashi uncovers a time-travel scroll. Now he's Team Seven's sensei again. And this time, he's going to do things differently. A very good fic that has a great author. There is actually no Sasuke bashing, though Kakashi is still considering killing him if it comes to that and he does not seem to be trying to just remake Sakura and Naruto to what they became in the future, which is also a nice change. Definitely worth the read.
- Comments: Dellanotte: Recommended all the way. The Kakashi who goes back is a jaded, even more tragic figure than ever thanks in no small part to the hours he's spent carving names into the memorial stone, and while there may not exactly be Sasuke-bashing... There is actually a point where he would enjoy killing the kid and is planning to, which likely scares himself more than it does the readers. Sasuke manages to prove that he isn't a Complete Monster yet, though, and so far it's shaping up to be a pretty good fic. Be aware, though, the author is prone to writing Kaka/Iru and has stated it will be the story's main pairing.
- LongLiveHumour: Good style, too, bar a couple of proofreading errors. If you're tired of clichés and bad grammar you'll probably enjoy this.
- Status: Complete (22 chapters)
by Tellemicus Sundance
- Recommended by Knightmare47
- Pairings: None Yet
- Synopsis:The future is not set in stone. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. And every choice made has the potential to drastically alter the fate of the world. This is a lesson he must learn in order to get his revenge.
- Comments: Basically an alternate take on regular peggy sue fics. Sasuke recieves a scroll from his future self detailing the future and the truth of the Uchiha Massacre. It's pretty good, but the author tend to update slow.
- Last Update: September 2013
- Recommended by: Much Good Little Time, boonerunner
- Synopsis: Direct from FF.net: "They've gone back to the past. They've gone too far back into the past and they just don't want to wait around years and years, so they figured they might as well start early. Team 7, gen, time travel. WIP. Angst/Drama/Humor."
- Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke all managed a jump back into their younger selves - as in, their five-year-old-selves. And they're not waiting around, they're getting started on fixing things right f—-in' now.
- Pairing(s): Not currently applicable.
- Tags: Dark Fic warning for some of the supplemental stories, and especially for the background alluded to as the story itself continues. It takes the route that in canon (dark spoiler, you have been warned it's seriously horrific) Naruto was raped as a child on several occasions.
- Status: Completed
This Time as a Namikaze
- Recommended by Veloren, Komodo Classic
- Synopsis: Back in time and armed with years of future knowledge, Sakura is ready to take the world by storm. Except... she's four again, not twelve. Ah well, nobody said she couldn't start a little early.
- Pairings: None.
- Status: In-Progress, erratic updates (last updated July 2012)
- Comments: Manages not to fall into angst, while telling a story that is more than a fix-fic. Also gets points for the hilarity that is 9-year-old Itachi's interactions with Sakura.
- Recommended by AQZT, Magic Kirby
- Synopsis: A broken promise sends Naruto spiralling down into a depression after his greatest victory. He is given a chance to make things right, to make things better. But this time, he won't be alone. This time, he'll do it as a Namikaze.
- Pairings: Naruto/Hinata
- Comments: Starts out serious, but quickly becomes incredibly humorous. Naruto goes back in time at the end of the Invasion of Pain arc, since Hinata is killed and he wants to save her. Soon though, the author starts making a ton of jokes, shout-outs, and begins indulging in a bunch of random silliness. The story contains several scenes of incredible badassery, and watching Naruto troll all of the adult ninja in Konoha with his future knowledge is a lot of fun. However, even with all of this general hilarity, the story still has an undercurrent of an extremely serious plot. Definitely recommended, for both the humor, and the story.
- Status: Last Updated Oct 2012
Time and Again
- Recommended by Esmenet
- Pairings: None so far
- Synopsis: Naruto once believed he saw Sasuke as more of a brother than Itachi ever did. But stuck in the thirteen-year-old ANBU captain's body on the day of Uchiha Clan Massacre, could he really do any better?
- Comments: What really makes this fic is the author's attention to detail; I haven't seen a single thing that contradicts established canon. He even manages to get away with fewer than ten original characters, using minor canon ones instead. Definitely one of the best Peggy Sue fics, and, curiously, one of the best Itachi ones.
- Status: Last updated Sept 2012
- Recommended by Inkki Bookman, Clendy82, X Shouldve Died, Shay Guy, Fish Called Waldo, Psalm of Fire, Akatsuki Daybreak, Chuckg, Serbii, Life of Pi, Racheakt, Hush, boonerunner, AQZT
- Pairings: Kinda blatant of Naruto/Hinata and Sakura/Sasuke, with hints/jokes on Naruto/Gaara and Naruto/Sasuke. Also seems to be some Kabuto/Ino.
- Synopsis: Essentially this story is a deconstruction of the usual Naruto goes back in time fanfiction. The main difference is that, unlike most other Peggy Sue fics, Naruto not only has a hard time readjusting to his twelve year old body for the first few days, but he also doesn't even believe that he is in the past; instead, he is convinced that he is trapped in some kind of super illusory world. It gets better and worse for Naruto and his friends as he tries to change the village's fate for the better.
- Comments: This fanfic is worthwhile change of pace and style from your usual Naruto Peggy Sue stories you might have read before. The characterization is faithful to the point of being scary. Hinata went through the entire alternate time line and wound up suffering through a loveless marriage rather than confessing how she feels about Naruto. Naruto never catches on. A great way to kill a number of hours. Complete, but has an actively updated sequel.
- Akatsuki Daybreak: The sequel, Here and Now, is out, and if the first chapter is any indication, it will reach the same heights as the original.
- Life of Pi: Seconded. As of chapter five of Here and Now, KyLewin makes Orochimaru hundreds of times more sinister and evil than Kishimoto ever could hope to.
- Status: Completed with sequel last updated Apr 2010. However, it may have since become a Dead Fic.
The Tragedy of Repetition
- Recommended by: HalfBloodPrincess, Koneko Otome, jaelin910
- Has a trope page, needing Wiki Magic!
- Synopsis: Alternate versions of Naruto, Kakashi, Jiraiya, and Tenzo all go back in time. You can guess what happens next.
- Pairings: None.
- Comments: The only Naruto Peggy Sue fic that I have read that even comes close to the EPIC It's For a Good Cause, I Swear!
- Status: Complete
, by Rurouni12065
- Recommended by RedViking, boonerunner
- Pairing: Naruto/Anko
- Synopsis: Instead of waking up in his twelve-year-old body, Naruto (who goes by Nanashi) exists as a separate entity to his younger counterpart.
- Comments: Puts a refreshing spin on the Set Right What Once Went Wrong time-traveling fics. In addition, this is perhaps the first fic this troper has read that not only pulls off a believable Naruto/Anko pairing, one where she doesn't come across as a creepy pedophile.
- AQZT: Despite the fact that it is now abandoned, what is there is still well worth the read.
- Status: Last updated April 2009, Abandoned
Two Steps Back
- Recommended by capeclare, Komodo Classic
- Synopsis: Sakura is sent back in time by the 6th Hokage Hatake Kakashi's seal work and Naruto powering the time travel device to the day she graduated from the academy. From there Sakura makes a plan on how to alter and save them all from a crapsack future. This fic avoids a lot of the cliche's and Sakura comes across as a motivated and mature shinobi trying to come up with a plan, it is also less idealistic than most as part of Sakura orders when sent back were to either save Sasuke or kill him, which I find refreshing, her travel has not gone unnoticed by the present day Kakashi though. Recently updated and very well written.
- Comments: Dellanotte: Very much seconded. Sakura's personality is spot-on, and though she is resourceful she is by no means a Mary Sue. The Konoha she came from is especially a case of Nightmare Fuel, given that they were desperate enough to even attempt this, though some parts are clearly outdated (Orochimaru took over Sasuke, Sakura doesn't know about Jinchuriki). A good read, though still fairly early in The Stations of the Canon (Tazuna just showed up.)
- One of the nice things about this fic is that Sakura doesn't get to the past and immediately start showing off jounin-level skills and doing things that really should make everyone suspicious. Her limited chakra levels and lesser size and strength are actually shown to be issues for her. Everything seems to follow really well.
- Status: Last updated July 2011
, by H.E. Gray
Walking Backwards on a Tightrope
- Recommended by Ninjasquirl, boonerunner, Komodo Classic
- Synopsis: Begins with the usual Peggy Sue style, Leaf is destroyed and someone one wants to fix it, however, it's a blind Sasuke who has just destroyed Leaf that decides to do it, by going back in time to adopt chibi Naruto.
- Comments: Once Lil' Naruto enters the story, it never stops being a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming. Never. There is an OC, but she will grow on you like you've never been grown on before.
- Mythtaken: So very, very seconded. Adult!Sasuke affects a lot of interpersonal dynamics in the village, from interactions with the Uchiha clan to shifting the bonds among the kids in a way that really seems to click. Plus, the fight scene between the blind Sasuke and an OC Hyuuga is epic.
- Komodo Classic: Thirded, oh so very much. The character interactions are absolutely fantastic. Sasuke is an interesting character, and I love what the author did with all the kids and their relationships. Also, it is very much a World of Snark, which always wins bonus points with me.
- Status: Last updated Feb 2011.
by Lithos Maitreya
What's the Worst That Can Happen
- Recommended by Khym Chanur, Komodo Classic
- Pairings: None, so far
- Synopsis: Walking backwards on a tightrope is actually a fairly common trick in the circus. It's also the closest equivalent to going backwards in time. So why should only one person go back in time if anyone who knows how can do it? It's just like walking backwards on a tightrope. And more than one person in a war-torn world of Ninja wants to change things. To fix things.
- Comments: A ritual which can only be used once every 300 years, during a certain astronomical event, can send the user's mind back in time five years into their younger body. Multiple characters use it to go back without being aware that anyone else is using it, and discover each other in the past.
A Wrinkle in Time by rightforlife
- Recommended by Veloren
- Pairings: background Minato/Kushina
- Synopsis: Life was going well, if you asked Naruto. So why did he listen to Kakashi of all people? Now, they've time-traveled to the past, smack dab in Minato's era when the soon-to-be Hokage was sporting a team seven of his own. Let history run it's course? Never!
- Comments: Naruto and Kakashi accidentally go back in time, to before Obito's death. Despite being Kakashi-centric, it manages not to be a total angst fest. Heartwarming without dissolving into fluff.
- Ongoing, last update 12/21/12.
Yet again with a little extra help
- Recommended by eduardogranja
- Pairings: Naruto/Hinata, Shikamaru/Temari, Rock Lee/Ayame
- Synopsis: The Fourth Shinobi War ended in disaster. They won, but at a price too great to bear. Given a second chance, what exactly can Konoha's three most powerful men do?
- Comments: An unusual combination of characters for a Peggy Sue fic, this one brings Naruto, Shikamaru, Rock Lee and a considerably friendly Kurama to the time between the Wave Mission and the Chuunin Exams. The story is still at the beginning, but is building up nicely, and the author is one of the few that uses the fact that the Kuchyose is a space-time ninjutsu.
- Status: Updated on January, 2014
by Third Fang
- Now has its own trope page.
- Recommended by Gore17, Kurtulmak, Epic Fighting Troper, jaelin910, beeruckzII
- Pairings: Naru/Hina
- Synopsis: Things didn't go so well this time after Danzo betrayed Konoha and joined Akatsuki. As the Kyubi was being removed from Naruto however, an unexpected stranger arrived to change all for the better... maybe.
- Comments: I've never really liked Original Characters, but Ghost, Scabbard, Shadow, Waltz and Crypt are just so damn funny!! Good for a laugh, its a bit darker than canon in places, but overall it's lighter. The OC, while extremely powerful, mainly act to guide the characters to become stronger so they have a better chance. Oh, and Sasuke and Sakura aren't complete jerks; they were at the beginning but they become much nicer throughout it. Oh, and Ghost has entered a relationship of sorts with Anko and Hana, the poor bastard. Oh, and the Hyuuga Clan is in a bit of turmoil, looks like revolution.
- Kurtulmak: A superpowered scene-stealing OC, who knows the setting through fiction, sweeps into Naruto's universe, sets about fixing problems, bossing people around, and powering up the main cast, all while hooking up with two hot chicks. Sounds like a dozen lame fics you've banged your head into a wall in vain hopes of forgetting, right? Well, be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. Thanks to Refuge in Audacity and Fridge Brilliance, this manages to be one of my favorite comedy and action fics. Ghost's family is a force of anarchy and surrealism that slowly infects the cast until all of Konoha's genin become infused with Crazy Awesome. Worship the Log.
- Triple Elation: Yes. Yes, that is what it sounds like. I gave up reading it at chapter 20-something, because I couldn't get past that. It's kind of a big deal. If the particular brand of surrealistic, over-the-top humor employed here is your cup of tea then you're going to have a blast reading this fic, but if you're in it for the compelling storytelling, that's going to be a problem. The first 20-odd chapters, at least, pretty much operate on Chuck Norris Facts logic: there is no plot, only a list of events the God-Mode OCs allow to happen. There is no character development, only a set of realizations to be spoonfed by the God-Mode OCs. There are no challenges, only things that the God-Mode OCs haven't gotten around to effortlessly dealing with yet. That said, by all means go and give it a shot — a lot of positive reviews say you should.
- Status: Complete as of July 2012, with a sequel in progress.