Fanfic / White Rain
is a Naruto Continuation Fic
by Zapenstap that takes place some time after the series ends... but you wouldn't know it at first glance, because the first chapter is set in a very, very different environment.
With a young man named Itachi, no less... but this isn't an Alternate Universe
story as one might think upon reading through the first chapter, because as soon as the plot gets rolling, things start happening. As Itachi, his mother Lucia and his sister Rina make their way to Konoha to escape from an abusive situation, everything begins to spiral out of control... and people may not be who they seem to be.
Back in Konoha, Naruto is the Hokage, Sasuke has reconciled with the village and is together with Sakura
, and the next generation of shinobi are being trained with the defense of the Will of Fire in their hearts...
...and things go on from there.
Now has a character page
that Needs Wiki Magic Love
This trope page is chock full of spoilers, so it is probably for the best if you read it then
come back here.
White Rain contains the following tropes:
- A Father to His Men: Naruto is caring and compassionate to all of the people under his watch in Konoha, and is insistent that Shinobi are people and not just tools or mercs.
- Agony of the Feet: In chapter 19, Yukio stabs a Grass jonin in the foot to escape him while they're taking Rina, and in chapter 24, slices that same jonin's Achilles tendon.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Chapter 27 has Sasuke pull this off successfully.
- Apologetic Attacker:
- During Sakura's test, Haro apologizes to Itachi before knocking him out and swiping the bells.
- Also with Sakura herself during the test. She chucks a kunai into Itachi's leg to ensure that he knows just what the life of a ninja means, and remarks to herself that it hurt her more than it hurt him.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Naruto gives one to Yukio after he slices Itachi's eye during their bout:
Naruto: "You maimed a Leaf Nin."
Yukio: "He's not a Leaf! He's a civilian!"
Naruto: "Is that how you treat civilians?"
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Yukio, though he comes around after nearly taking Itachi's eye in what was supposed to be a harmless bout; Naruto talks some sense into him. He actually tries to keep Rina from being kidnapped.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Demonstrated masterfully by Naruto in his exhibition bout versus Sasuke.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Itachi (senior) and Lucia, although the latter only finds this out long after he had died.
- Babies Ever After: Subverted, as Sasuke's actually scared witless of the fact that Sakura is carrying their child.
- Played straight with Ino and Chouji, and in Chapter 27 with Sasuke and Sakura.
- Bat Deduction: Naruto sees some very slight changes in Sakura's behavior, asks her if she is pregnant... and ends up being correct.
- Batman Gambit: Lucia pulls off an impressive one to make sure her son's team is focused for the finals. This, and the fact that her sister Cecile did say that Lucia has the potential to threaten Konoha itself, means that she's more than meets the eye.
- Because I Said So: Naruto invokes this trope to Sasuke while calling him out over his confronting Lucia in her own home behind his back, stating that, as Hokage, his orders and decisions are absolute, and while Sasuke does not have to feel the same way, he is bound as a Shinobi to follow them.
- Becoming the Mask:
Ibiki: He wanted you to pretend that you were ordinary people who loved each other.
- Been There, Shaped History: Apparently, Lucia was the one who supplied the pills that kept the terminally ill Itachi alive long enough for Sasuke to face and kill him.
- Beta Couple: Naruto and Hinata.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Naruto is a happy, friendly and goofy Hokage most of the time. Kidnap one of the people he promised to protect, though, and you risk finding out why he was made Hokage in the first place.
- Sasuke himself finds it more difficult to deal with a concerned Naruto than an angry Naruto, too.
- Big Brother Instinct: Itachi to Rina.
- Big Damn Heroes: Naruto.
- Blinded by the Light: Amaya's trademark White Star jutsu.
- Blood from the Mouth: During his bout with Sasuke, Naruto hits Sasuke with a wind jutsu with such force that this happens.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: It is still Naruto. In his first chapter, he convinces Sakura to help him with paperwork while he sleeps on the couch.
- Broken Bird: Lucia - and she shatters completely when she finds out the Grass have taken Rina.
- You can see just how broken she is when she regards Ino and Sakura's friendship with curiosity. Heck, you even see her regard Hinata's love for Naruto in the same way earlier in the story.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Though Naruto remains somewhat goofy and lazy, it's established that he is quite a good Hokage and it's actually stated that he's one of the most well-respected ninja on the planet.
- Captain Oblivious: Lucia pretty much has to spell out to Naruto exactly why she left her husband and came to Konoha.
- Casual Kink: Lucia is a masochist and her relations with Itachi Uchiha centered around this. However, she freely admits that she has her limits, and Itachi exceeded them. As it turns out, he was teaching her how to resist torture all along when he appeared to exceed those limits of Lucia's.
- Character Development: in freaking spades.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Jered Lassen.
- Child Prodigy: Rina. What do you expect from an Academy student who not only has an instinctual grasp of genjutsu, but also figured out how to perform the Chidori simply by watching it?
- Continuation Fic
- Crapsack World: Lucia's homeland is this to a degree, at least when compared to Konoha and the Land of Fire in general. While investigating said homeland at Naruto's request, Kakashi is surprised to hear from Lucia's sister just what people can get away with if they have money.
- Dead Guy Junior: Itachi van Alstyne.
- Defector from Decadence: In chapter 24, a Grass genin named Saiya comes straight to Naruto and explicitly requests that he invade her village, which Naruto had made it a point to avoid doing. She explains that the Grass had become corrupted since the Higher Houses of Lucia's homeland (more specifically their money) came and that the people she knew, including her older sister, who has essentially become a Sex Slave to one of the members of the Higher Houses, have become corrupted along with it, and begs Naruto to step in and "save the Grass."
- Domestic Abuser: Gehard, Lucia's husband. Being a masochist, she puts up with it, but ditches him when he turns his abuse on her kids.
- Don't Call Me "Sir": Rock Lee insists that everyone, including Naruto's former teammates and his pals in the Rookie Nine, address Naruto solely as "Hokage" or "Lord Hokage" to the extent that he lectures Tenten when she addresses him by name. Naruto doesn't really care either way.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Gehard may be an abusive pig, but he is genuinely shocked and horrified when he discovers that the people he's working with fully intend to kill Itachi and Rina.
- Eyepatch of Power: While preparing to rescue Rina, Sasuke gives Itachi a bandana bearing the Uchiha fan symbol to use as one.
- Eye Scream: Yukio damages Itachi's left eye with a kunai. It's only thanks to Sakura that he doesn't lose the eye completely.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: Word of God invokes this to an extent, but doesn't really specify exactly what country Lucia's homeland is based off of other than explaining in an author's note that her surname is Dutch.
- Functional Addict: Lucia, though in this case it's Functional Masochist.
- Generation Xerox: While he was named after his father, Itachi takes more after Sasuke (it is his resemblance to pre-Uchiha Massacre Sasuke that makes his uncle uncomfortable when dealing with him). Rina, on the other hand...
- Sakura herself does this, as she pulls something similar to her old sensei's infamous bell test for her genin team. Of course, they grasp the true goal of the test far faster than she, Sasuke, and Naruto did.
- Naruto uses the Fourth Hokage's trademark Flying Thunder God Technique.
- Sakura briefly compares Amaya to Sasuke during the genin test, remarking that she is focused and skilled for her age.
- Itachi - due to a lot of factors - now has his Sharingan eyes kept activated like his father.
- Itachi (junior) and Yukio's rivalry mirror that of Naruto and Sasuke.
- Good Parents: No matter what one thinks of Lucia, there's no doubt that she loves her kids dearly.
- Hannibal Lecture: Lucia gets subject to one; time will tell if it does hold.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: It depends on how you define "hero" in her case, but Lucia is certainly not very popular back in her home country.
- Heroic Bastard: Itachi jr. and Rina, both children of the late Itachi Uchiha.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Itachi goes into a brief one when his uncle Sasuke tells him exactly what his father (Itachi senior) really did.
- Lucia goes through the same when she found out that the Grass had kidnapped Rina.
- Sasuke doesn't show any signs of snapping out of his own issues.
- In the final chapter, he finally starts taking steps to solve them.
- Hidden Depths: Naruto has taken to the responsibilities of being the Hokage very well. Also, how Sasuke deals with the metaphorical bombs dropped onto his lap. You could apply this trope to every character in this story, really.
- "How Many?" "All Of Them": Naruto, in a somewhat rare heroic example.
- It's All My Fault: Rina blames herself for Yukio maiming Itachi's eye because she was the one who showed Itachi how to use the Chidori, which he botched and gave Yukio the opportunity to do what he did.
- It's Personal: Naruto treats everyone in Konoha as part of a large family. Kidnap one of them, and you will find out just how much of a Papa Wolf he can be... if Sasuke doesn't get to you first.
- Just Friends: How the Love Triangle below is resolved... so far.
- Jerkass: Yukio. He's able to get away with it due to being the best of the genin, though he does have the respect of the other genin and shows leadership potential. Naruto eventually calls him out on his attitude after he maims Itachi and the reactions of his teammates don't help either. He begins to show he has some good qualities when he tries to bring Rina back to the village. Also lapses into Innocently Insensitive, as he is genuinely surprised that Haro and Amaya hate him.
- Kill It with Fire: Sasuke: Amaterasu.
- The Knights Who Say "Squee!": Yukio is awestruck when he sees Naruto perform the Flying Thunder God technique, as well as when he meets Kakashi.
- Love Triangle: Between Itachi, Amaya and Haro - funnily enough, it is Lucia who resolves the whole thing.
- The Medic: Two in Team 4 - Akamatsu Haro and their jonin-sensei Haruno Sakura.
- Mind Rape: In one chapter, Sasuke forces Itachi (junior) to see a vision of the first Itachi murdering their parents. Sakura is unsurprisingly horrified at him for it.
- Missing Mom: Amaya's mother was killed in a mission when she was just a baby. Part of the reason Naruto has her assigned to Sakura's squad is because he believes having a female role model will benefit her.
- Money Is Not Power: Marnix finds out the hard way this is the case in chapter 25 when Sasuke immediately carves him up like a turkey before burning him to ashes with Amaterasu.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Yukio goes through this after he slashes Itachi's eye during their fight, though Naruto's lecture and the reaction of his own teammates probably contributes to it.
- No Pregger Sex: Averted with Sakura and Sasuke - the latter seems befuddled that the former is a lot more passionate than usual.
- No True Scotsman: Yukio doesn't think Itachi understands what it means to be Shinobi, even insulting his surname as not belonging in the village. Secretly, he's unnerved by how quickly Itachi is growing in his skills compared to someone who's been trained from birth like Yukio.
- Nom de Mom: Itachi and Rina use their mother's maiden name, van Alstyne, while in Konoha.
- Not so Fast, Bucko!: Holy crap, Itachi junior activated his Sharingan! He's beating his opponent up! He's gonna win! Except the jutsu he wanted to use backfires on him terribly, and he gets a slash to an eye for his trouble.
- Nouveau Riche: A more positive spin, but still a core component of Lucia's problems. Her family comes from one of the Lower Houses, but after years of her father's practice of investing into small/failing businesses and turning them around her current financial assets almost rival a lesser country's. The Higher Houses want those resources under their own control.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Naruto - most of the time.
- Original Character / Original Generation: Lucia van Alstyne, her family, and everyone else from that side of the world.
- Parental Neglect: Amaya's father is wrapped up in his duties to the extent that the only quality time he spends with his daughter is when they're training. It's not his fault entirely - he has been a ninja for far too long that he never really asked for time off to raise his daughter, or noticed that she has become a young woman in his absence.
- Play-Along Prisoner: In chapter 10, Jered Lassen willingly allows himself to be Bound and Gagged by Itachi and his team to throw any suspicion off him letting them go.
- Poor Communication Kills: It's why Sasuke and Sakura break up.
- Itachi (junior) actively tries to prevent this from happening - first, with his mother; then with his team and sensei - and sometimes succeeds.
- Rage Against the Reflection: After he slices Itachi's eye, Yukio is so conflicted over doing so that he punches out the mirror in the bathroom while scrubbing the blood off his hands.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Lucia fits the trope. Dark hair? Check. Pale skin? Check. Considered beautiful by those around her? Check.
- Really Gets Around: Lucia claims at one point that she lost her virginity when she was Amaya's age, and Marnix states in chapter 25 that she slept with several other people before she was even sixteen.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Naruto as the Hokage as he balances his idealism with the realities of running the village, He does leave a lot of paperwork for Sakura, though he justifies this as paperwork not being the most important of being the Hokage. He's actually made things so peaceful with the other villages that there is less need for shinobi and Konoha is feeling the pinch financially. Even then he has a plan to fix that problem - if he can get the Feudal Lords on board with it.
- He does, with Lucia's help.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Oddly enough, Naruto is the Blue Oni to Sasuke's Red, despite their overall characterizations not changing that much compared to canon. Their respective relationships also share the same dichotomy - Naruto and Hinata's relationship is subtle and understated just as Sasuke and Sakura's relationship is tempestuous and overt.
- In Team 4, Haro is the Red Oni to Itachi's Blue.
- And Itachi is the Blue Oni to Yukio's Red.
- The Resenter: Yukio towards Itachi, despite being The Ace and the School Idol he sees Itachi's rapid improvement as a threat and challenges him after a difficult mission that Yukio perceives as a failure. It ends badly.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Lucia is completely shocked that Naruto has no intention of charging her any fee for saving Rina from the Higher Houses and the Grass.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Lucia, but we haven't actually seen her successfully use it.
- However, the fact that the feudal lords have gone underwater on their loans probably means that Lucia, for all intents and purposes, already owns a hefty chunk of Konoha.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Sasuke. Even now, the dude has issues.
- According to Sakura, he has one particular issue that's holding him back: Itachi. Having Itachi's kids show up doesn't help. And this causes his breakup with Sakura when he finds out she's pregnant.
- She Is All Grown Up: Amaya was an early bloomer back at the academy. Unfortunately, her father was the last to notice.
- Shot to the Heart: In chapter 25, Haro does this to a poisoned Yukio, which saves his life and buys enough time for Sakura to catch up to them and finish the job.
- Snow Means Love: Snow was falling when Itachi (senior) made his proposal to Lucia (to pretend that they were ordinary people who loved each other). The sight of the snow outside also inspired her to name her inheritance as White Rain.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Itachi (junior) is described as looking exactly like his father, whereas Rina looks so much like Lucia that even her mother is uncertain whether or not Rina is Itachi senior or Gehard's child.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork:
- During Sakura's test, history repeats itself as Itachi, Haro, and Amaya spend quite a bit of time butting heads, though they come together after Sakura gets Itachi in the leg with a kunai.
- Subverted with Itachi and Yukio's respective genin teams while they're going to rescue Rina from the Grass. Despite their previous match, which resulted in Yukio damaging Itachi's eye with a kunai, the two teams work quite well together.
- Title Drop: In Chapter 11 - Note White Rain.
- Again in Chapter 19.
- And again in Chapter 20.
- Tragic Keepsake: Of a sort; Naruto wears the Fourth Hokage's flame-embroidered Badass Longcoat.
- Tranquil Fury: In chapter 14, when Lucia comes home and catches Amaya and Itachi together in the latter's room. She's clearly angry with both of them, but manages to stay calm and in control.
- Training from Hell: Itachi goes through it in a month before his team's match, courtesy of Sasuke. In some cases, he actually needs healing from Sakura to continue training.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Itachi seems to be this for his mother Lucia at first (getting into trouble for punching out a classmate who badmouthed her), but is gradually growing out of it.
- Also to Sasuke, though he admits how pointless this is if Sasuke won't bother to reciprocate.
- Wham Line: Rina: I can show you how to do the Chidori.
- Why Did You Make Me Hit You?: In the first chapter, Gehard cracks Rina across the face when she attempts to stop him from abusing Lucia, and then remarks to Lucia that she made him do it.
- Worst Aid: During their genin test, Itachi reflexively pulls out the kunai Sakura caught him in the leg with despite Haro's warnings, and is promptly called out by Haro for it. Fortunately, Haro comes from a family of medical ninja.
- You Owe Me: Naruto persuades Sasuke to help train Itachi for his bout with Yukio by calling in a favor.
- You Won't Feel a Thing: In chapter 24, when Rina is ordered to be killed by a Grass genin, said genin uses a poisoned knife and reassures her that it'll be clean and that she'll "barely feel it." However, the genin is reluctant to go through with it, and his hesitation gives Yukio enough time to catch up with them and pull off a Big Damn Heroes moment.